Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a good restaurant in Limerick City...

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

...but I can't find one! I've been to Brulees (poor), Freddie's (poor), Copper & Spice (poor), Popadom (okay), Royal Durbur (okay-ish), Sinergie (down right rip off), Texas Steakout (okay) and Z-We-Ton (best of the bunch but still not saying much). I've heard that the Savoy is suppposed to be good but then I'd heard that all the above were good too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think if you find Freddies poor and Texas Steakout OK, you're going to be hard to please. :)

Try the Market Square or Moll Darbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a number of threads on good/bad restaurants on this forum. Do a search for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Take a spin out to Killaloe where you'll find The Cherry Tree.
    Great restaurant!
    Pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

you must have some strange tastes to say that Z-We-Ton and the Texas Stakeout get the best ratings from that list :p

For a the best dining experience in Limerick you have to travel to Balingarry to the Mustard Seed. Pricey but excellent. The Wild Geese in Adare is decent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doc. Hobbit

Mr E wrote: »
    I think if you find Freddies poor and Texas Steakout OK, you're going to be hard to please. :)

Try the Market Square or Moll Darbys.

Here's how it is: if I go to a proper restaurant I expect a certain standard. Neither Bruless nor Freddie's delivered. On the other hand, Texas Steakout is a theme place and expectations are thus lower, though the fillet steak I got there was the best I had of the three mentioned here.

The Market Square had a five week waiting list the last time I checked there, which could be taken to mean it is great but then I've seen wonderful reviews of Brulees, so it needn't mean anything. I'd not considered Moll Darby's but I'll give it a look.

Has anyone been to the Savoy restaurant in the Merriot?

• Advertisement

Take a spin out to Killaloe where you'll find The Cherry Tree.
    Great restaurant!
    Pricey though.

I can't drive which is why I was looking for a place in Limerick City.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are a number of threads on good/bad restaurants on this forum. Do a search for them.

A) that's not helpful

B) I want up to date opinions not those from a three year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

1) the threads are less than a month old, stop being so ignorant.
    2) put ur name on the waiting list for the market square and find out for yourself, you obviously dont value anyone elses opinion so why bother asking.

If you want help, you're not going to get any with sh1tty attitude like that
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

A) that's not helpful

B) I want up to date opinions not those from a three year old thread.

I thought they were helpful whether they are 3 years old or 3 days old, the opinions and experiences written by the posters are what matter, not when they were written.

Also if you really want to seek people's help here you need to loose the bitchy attitude, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

zuroph wrote: »
    2) put ur name on the waiting list for the market square and find out for yourself, you obviously dont value anyone elses opinion so why bother asking.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I thought they were helpful whether they are 3 years old or 3 days old, the opinions and experiences written by the posters are what matter, not when they were written.

Also if you really want to seek people's help here you need to loose the bitchy attitude, my friend.

In fairness there are very few restaurants that haven't changed hands/chefs or closed down in the last three years so I can see why old reviews wouldn't be much help. Eating out in Limerick is pretty much a minefield wherever you go (pardon the pun!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

If we had a merged sticky thread of all the restraunt/good bars/nightlife stuff this stuff might not appear so often.

Its tiresome at this stage almost as bad as the "limerick murder capital of the world" threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

A murder themed retaurant! Its so simple, why didn't i think of it before!
    murderrest.jpg

Sunn wrote: »
    If we had a merged sticky thread of all the restraunt/good bars/nightlife stuff this stuff might not appear so often.

Its tiresome at this stage almost as bad as the "limerick murder capital of the world" threads.

Then why are you on here?

zuroph wrote: »

Did you not have your cup of coco? I want considered reviews, i.e. not "it was great" but why it was great, what makes the restaurant worth going to. I took exception to the tone of Bazz26's post because it implied I was too thick to have looked. The only ****ty attitudes here are in the replies since!

As Eamon234 (the only voice of reason in the last few posts) made clear, old reviews are not any good, because new management comes in, new chefs come in and new staff come in and all these things affect the restaurant. Also, they may well have closed down, as at least four had from one thread I looked at.

Now bitchy attitude here, just don't like the assumption that I'm too stupid to have thought of looking through the threads and I'm amazed that only the one person spent long enough to think about what I had said rather than jumping on the insulting bandwagon.

Honestly, if what is on this thread passes for debate in Limerick City, it explains an awful lot...

eamon234 wrote: »
    In fairness there are very few restaurants that haven't changed hands/chefs or closed down in the last three years so I can see why old reviews wouldn't be much help. Eating out in Limerick is pretty much a minefield wherever you go (pardon the pun!)

Someone preferring to think rather than insult: a breath of fresh air!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Try Thai Gourmet on Glenworth street. I used to work in the original (up on O'Connell Crescent) about 9 years ago and the food was spectacular. I think the same chefs still work there so the food should be as good as ever.

Did you not have your cup of coco? I want considered reviews, i.e. not "it was great" but why it was great, what makes the restaurant worth going to. I took exception to the tone of Bazz26's post because it implied I was too thick to have looked. The only ****ty attitudes here are in the replies since!

There was no tone in my original post, it was just a suggestion. Alot of people come here not knowing of the thread search facilities.

• Advertisement

As Eamon234 (the only voice of reason in the last few posts) made clear, old reviews are not any good, because new management comes in, new chefs come in and new staff come in and all these things affect the restaurant. Also, they may well have closed down, as at least four had from one thread I looked at.

Now bitchy attitude here, just don't like the assumption that I'm too stupid to have thought of looking through the threads and I'm amazed that only the one person spent long enough to think about what I had said rather than jumping on the insulting bandwagon.

Honestly, if what is on this thread passes for debate in Limerick City, it explains an awful lot...

Again nobody assumed you were too dumb to search, lots of noobies just don't know about the search facillity, I cannot help if you read something more into it that wasn't there.

Anyway this has well and truely gone off topic so I am going to lay it to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Then why are you on here?

not having a go mate, just pointing out the obvious for the mods as it were.

Cateym wrote: »
    Try Thai Gourmet on Glenworth street. I used to work in the original (up on O'Connell Crescent) about 9 years ago and the food was spectacular. I think the same chefs still work there so the food should be as good as ever.

This made some memories bubble up to the surface and other people have said the food was very good there. I'll start saving up and try it out.

Again nobody assumed you were too dumb to search, lots of noobies just don't know about the search facillity, I cannot help if you read something more into it that wasn't there.

Anyway this has well and truely gone off topic so I am going to lay it to rest.

Getting back to the original topic then, can you recommend any restaurant and why would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had a lovely meal in The Fables, upstairs in the Unicorn in Dooradoyle recently. You can also bring your own wine and there is no charge for corkage. Friendly staff and nice ambience.

shawnee wrote: »
    Had a lovely meal in The Fables, upstairs in the Unicorn in Dooradoyle recently. You can also bring your own wine and there is no charge for corkage. Friendly staff and nice ambience.

That sounds great. What sort of quisine is it and where in Dooradoyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i think the reason i like the texas is that u know exactly what your gonna get..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

That sounds great. What sort of quisine is it and where in Dooradoyle?

Food is very very variable.

I have gotten great food and terrible food in this resteraunt within a few days of each other.

Dooradoyle in out towards Raheen near the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

there is a new restaurant just opened in Steamboat Quay, clsoe to the Clarion hotel, a frnech one, called the French Table, looks nice from the outside, I dont know anybody who has eaten there yet tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I had an absolutely gorgeous meal last night in the Chicken Hut. Beautifully deep fried chicken with a lovely slice of gravy on top. They also serve a full range of minerals.

Advertisement