Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a web page from HTML to the internet

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I've a website done up for the company I work for. Its a nice job on HTML, just wondering do any of you know how to get it onto the internet. I asked my old lecturer he said I need a PTF, but when I downloaded it I couldnt figure what to do from there, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a site that you want to upload it to?
    FTP is a tool that you use to move the pages from your computer onto a computer server on the internet.

Tutorial http://web-hosting.candidinfo.com/ftp-tutorial.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

see that I didnt know. how do i go about getting a site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Look at the hosting recommendation sticky at the top of the forum, and examine the packages by the companies on offer for something that suits. Bear in mind that we do not allow discussion or recommendation of hosting in thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

First you need to choose someone to host your site. DO NOT ASK FOR RECOMMENDATIONS HERE.

Through them you buy a domain name and hosting package. .com is pretty cheap (~$10) and easy. You'll need a basic hosting package which won't cost too much if your site is basic. Once you get these, the hoster will send you the address of where to upload to and the username and password info. You then get your FTP program to connect to the address using the username and pass. Then you find the public_html directory and transfer your files over. (Usually public_html, if not refer to hosters help or howto files) Then check and you should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Its a nice job on HTML, just wondering do any of you know how to get it onto the internet. I asked my old lecturer he said I need a PTF

Out of curiosity was it a web design course you did and where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you google "free hosting" there's loads of places offering a free webspace, mostly so they can have pop-ups and banners showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

biko, please read the forum charter (or the rest of this thread for that matter) regarding hosting recommendations.

Advertisement