Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking Space Sizes

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

how wide should an apartment parking space be? mine is 2000mm and is far too narrow, was wondering if there is a legal minimum so i can start to complain. cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I have no idea about the legal size, but anything below 2.5 metres in width is taking the p1ss, especially for apartments.

Considering that 1.7 to 2.0 m is the normal width for cars these days.

That said, it won't stop morons from parking on the edge of their space 2 cm from your driver door! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Contact your local authority where ever you live. They'll have the low down on the regulations in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I used to be an architectual draughtsman, and the regulation parking space was 8'0" by 16'0" (2.4m x 4.8m) back then. I don't know if this has changed but it certainly is not adhered to any more, like so many other building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thanks for the replies, it's true, if someone parks next to me there's no way to get out, lucky there's not many spaces occupied... yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Must say that some of the parking space widths are shocking! There are a couple of underground car parks in Wexford and there is BARELY room to get out of the car, never mind trying to squeeze the car in/out. They also have the pillars impeding into the spaces as well. One of them is underneath a shopping centre :eek: and that aint good news either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

There is no "legal minimum" for a parking space, only guidelines and recommendations that should be adhered to.

What you could do is to get hold of the parking layout plan that was approved for the development's planning application, if the actual size is smaller then it is an enforcement issue for the council to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Working on numerous planning applications for Car Parks and all of the councils i have spoken to have a minumum requirement of 2.4m x 4.8m and many want 2.5m x 5m but then again if a contractor wants to put in under 60 car parking spaces, no planning permission is required.. so no regulations to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

all planning drawings should be showing car park spaces at 2.4m x 4.8m. the 2.4m must be increased to 3.6m for disabled spaces and for the last space at each end of a run, e.g. near a wall.

the best thing is to get a copy of the planning drawings and find out if the contractors have tried to squeeze in a few extra sneaky spaces! you could also try contacting the other residents and ask the management company if they can sacrifice a few spaces for the good of the remaining ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The specific size depends on where you are. Each county (and most towns) have a development plan and the parking requirements for the type of building(office, shop, house etc.) are listed along with the size of the parking space. Generally they are 2.4M to 2.5M wide and between 4.8M and 5M long with disabled spaces 3M x 5M.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

i'm in dublin, city centre, have a call out to DCC but they are of an expected level of assistance. don't think they'll be sacrificing any spaces for the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I remember where I used to live in Dublin there was a space for 4 cars in front of the house. However one of the neighbours was a bit of a neanderthol so he would drive his BMW in and park it any which way and usually it meant only 3 cars would fit at most. Very annoying as sometimes people found it hard to find a space.

I don't know if having the spaces painted would have made any difference to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

dunno wat the sizes r but i know if i have to park somewhere and the spaces r small ill take to greddy i know but last thing i want is someone scrathing the paint on my car

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

driftking
    thats a) not on topic, b) text speak (aginst forum charter) and c) not very nice of you to block two spaces.

Please cop yourself on on all three accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

peasant wrote: »
    driftking
    thats a) not on topic,

b) text speak (aginst forum charter)

Looks more like drunk typing to me. We should get that in the charter. ;)

and c) not very nice of you to block two spaces.

In those circumstances?... I find it hard to believe you wouldn't do the same. Unless you have a lot of trust for your fellowman.

Please cop yourself on on all three accounts

I've been noticing a lot of variation in parking space sizes lately in car parks etc , mostly apartments. Think its only for planning reasons and then additional columns end up being put in place making two spaces useless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

dunno wat the sizes r but i know if i have to park somewhere and the spaces r small ill take to greddy i know but last thing i want is someone scrathing the paint on my car

B]DhaeIIae,weI,Ic.[/B

I found these letters on the floor beneath your post, I think they must have fallen off.

/on topic

I dont think there's any legal requirement as to the size of a parking space. There must be planning permission guidelines though. Surely builders can't just decide to make spaces smaller just to increase the parking capacity of a development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

stevec wrote: »
    There must be planning permission guidelines though. Surely builders can't just decide to make spaces smaller just to increase the parking capacity of a development.

I'm sorry, when did you get the "must" and "surely" notions regarding local government.

The whole lot are a mess. Much better to centralise it and demand spaces for 2.5 m by 5 m and 3 m by 5 m for disabled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm sorry, when did you get the "must" and "surely" notions regarding local government.

Yeah, wishful thinking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

OP you can get planning drawings in PDF format from the City Council website.... have a look at them and see if what was built in accordance with planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

The sizes vary alot where I frequent. But one thing I do notice is that most spaces here are smaller than in other countries I have driven in, and generally in multistory carparks here the last space against the wall is just a normal sized space.

I always try to find an end of line space(not against a wall), or one next to a break in the parking, just so I have the comfort of swinging my door open enough to get in and out with easy and not squeezing.

Advertisement