Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trading in...

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Planning on trading in a 1998 5dr 1.3 starlet and a 2006 1.4 corolla (both low milage) for a new 1.4 corolla terra (approx 21,400 ex works etc)...............dealer is asking 7,500 for the new car when trading in the 2006 corolla but planning on appraching him with the starlet aswell (saw one for sale on a toyota assured dealership for 4,200), how far do you reckon I can push him down from 7,500?........thinking if we get bout 3000 for the starlet it would be good ya? keeping in mind we do regular business (change every 2years for the passed 16 or so years and bought the odd small car off him)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

He'll have no interest in the starlet. If you get €500 for it as a double trade in on one car you'll be lucky. Dealers keep a margin on asking prices that they can use to make it look like they're offering a good tradein price, he'll already have used this on the first trade in. You'd be better off trying to haggle a bit more without bring the starlet into the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd be surprised if you got more than a E1,000-1,500 for your car tbh, but I stand to be corrected.

Edit: Alias beat me to it. All overallowance is used up on the first part of the deal, you'll only get trade money for your car. You may have seen a Starlet for E4k somewhere on line, but you can get them from dealers for E2k elsewhere.

Carzone

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

ya.... I'm very convincing though, sure I'll see how I go.

Any advice on how best to sell the starlet on privately? Don't want loads of hassle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd sell the Starlet privately to be honest. The second hand car market is pretty dead at the moment but priced right I reckon the Starlet will sell as they have a loyal following among learners (and nuns :D) or those who want a cheap runabout.

I reckon you will get more for it privately than the dealer will allow you on it as a trade-in assuming he wants to take it at all.

Advertisement