Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Faults?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the fault the following things warrabt (grade 1, 2 or 3)

Forgetting to indicate? (especially when pulling out from the side?
    Stalling (or nearly stalling so the car jerks)?
    Not checking mirror/blindspot when pulling out/reversing?
    Is there a fault for reversing "too fast" around the corner?
    Being a bit jumpy on the accelerator/clutch?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

xeroshero wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the fault the following things warrabt (grade 1, 2 or 3)

Forgetting to indicate? (especially when pulling out from the side?
    Stalling (or nearly stalling so the car jerks)?
    Not checking mirror/blindspot when pulling out/reversing?
    Is there a fault for reversing "too fast" around the corner?
    Being a bit jumpy on the accelerator/clutch?

Thanks all.

it's very hard to say for definite whether something will be a grade 1 2 or 3, it all depends on the circumstances and your definition of "fast" etc. Each could warrant either if you get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Not checking mirror/blindspot when pulling out/reversing would possibly be a Grade 3 as you could potentially run into another vehicle or reverse back and not see a child playing behind your car etc. I don't think there's a fault for reversing "too fast" so to speak but the tester is looking to see you checking your mirrors etc, thus not endangering yourself or another road user, so by reversing quickly it's giving you less time for thorough observation.
    Stalling/cutting out isn't a serious issue. Shouldn't get you a grade 2 or 3.
    (like Alanstrainor said it's very hard to say for definite though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

I'd say stalling you would get you a grade 2, for clutch or gear depending on which caused it (the former being when you're in 1st and come up off the clutch too quickly for example, with the latter being in too high a gear, e.g. 2nd when you're moving very slowly in heavy traffic).

Nearly stalling would probably be a grade 1 fault, as would being slightly "jumpy" on the pedals, but if you've already gotten two of these the instructor would have to move into the blue zone to record a third one! It also depends on the context... likewise for indicators - if you didn't indicate when overtaking a hazard on a wide road the tester mightn't bat an eyelid, but if you didn't indicate correctly when changing lane to take the third exit off a roundabout I could imagine you getting a grade 2 easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Stalling isn't quite as serious as some people seem to think it is.
    Recovering badly from a stall is a different matter.

Even the best driver can occasionally stall a car, but how you cope with restarting, doing it safely with good observation and safety checks will decide if you get a serious fault or not.
    I'd say stalling you would get you a grade 2, for clutch or gear depending on which caused it (the former being when you're in 1st and come up off the clutch too quickly for example, with the latter being in too high a gear, e.g. 2nd when you're moving very slowly in heavy traffic).

Nearly stalling would probably be a grade 1 fault, as would being slightly "jumpy" on the pedals, but if you've already gotten two of these the instructor would have to move into the blue zone to record a third one! It also depends on the context... likewise for indicators - if you didn't indicate when overtaking a hazard on a wide road the tester mightn't bat an eyelid, but if you didn't indicate correctly when changing lane to take the third exit off a roundabout I could imagine you getting a grade 2 easily.

Advertisement