Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gulf Stream

Options
  • 18-06-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

OK last year they gave the reason for the bad summer due to the gulf stream. So where does the gulf stream lie now? Should we not be able to tell by this whether we will have a decent summer?

Getting worried with the rain now, is this whats its goinna be like for the rest of the summer?

Hope not !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

OK last year they gave the reason for the bad summer due to the gulf stream. So where does the gulf stream lie now? Should we not be able to tell by this whether we will have a decent summer?

Getting worried with the rain now, is this whats its goinna be like for the rest of the summer?

Hope not !!

I had heard that June was just supposed to be ok but the weather is going to pick up in July (don't know how reliable that is though)
    I don't really know how badly the jet stream affected us last year but it went right over the UK (hence the floods)
    I don't know alot about the jet stream but not having it over you doesn't guarentee good weather afaik, its just that having it over you makes very bad weather likely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Do you mean the jet stream?
    Gulf stream is the water current from semi tropical regions that keeps Ireland in a mild temperate climate while the jet stream dictates the weather type usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The jet stream is a tricky detail to forecast, however, trends do happen and right now and for the next week or so, the jet stream is whizzing over the south coast of Ireland moving across the bristol channel and over the wash.

The stream gan get in to a rut like this from time to time - which prompted Evelyn Cusack to basically write off this weekend and most of next week as unsettled on the 655 forecast tonight.

But the long-term indeed does looks good for July with probably the best of the summer's weather then. (I can feel it in my bones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its interesting, we've had a stream of warmer than average summers, a return to mean is overdue, in fact a return to below the mean is probably overdue but I strongly suspect todays mean is tomorrows cold.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Yes I did mean the Jet Stream - cheers

I didnt realise the jet stream could move so frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Weather warnings issued by Met Eireann and the British Met Office too as an unusual storm passes through! Its autumnal weather for summer 2008, gales, rain and flooding!!

Are we in for another wet summer like last year? Yes some people blamed the Jet Stream but last was La Nina was evident in the Pacific, this year La Nina not present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Ultimately was it not sea surface temps in conjunction with the jet stream that caused last years 60 odd consecutive days of rain?

Was last year an El nino or a la nina year?

Advertisement