Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing and camping at Lough Ennell

Options
  • 18-06-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys!
    just looking for a bit of advice here. I plan on going fishing at lough ennell in 2 weeks and am thinking about camping on a bank or one of the islands (dont worry, i never leave a single thing behind unlike some!) as ive seen people camping on it before.

I never camp in camp sites (ennell has one) cas i think it defeats the purpose, so basically any one any suggestions on where would be a safe bet to camp. I dont want to upset any farmers camping on their land, but i plan going out this weekend to see if i could spot any of them to ask them could i stay next weekend, but id say its fairly likely.

Will be boating it aswell so access will be handy if any one has any suggestions it would be great.

Also, Ive been out on ennell a good few times looking for pike with not much joy, this time the course rod will be coming along aswell, any one any suggestions what part is good for course or pike?

Any advice welcome
    thanks
    neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

No advice on camping I'm afraid but I was there for a day on the 6th June fishing for pike and blanked :( .

Did have a missed take from a monster though, (I figure 20+) just at the boat he came up and missed the spoon by 3 inches, nearly shat meself.

Saw 3 other species too, mate had another missed take but from a 2lb+ perch and as we were going through a small channell (for want of a better word) near Belvedere I was at the bow guiding the driver so we wouldn't beach and I saw the biggest eel ever, at least 3 ft long and as thick as my forearm. Saw plenty of trout but only small ones jumping straight in front of me, they were tiny!!!

Best spot seemed to be the east side from Cherry Island to Whitebridge Bay as a friend got a nice 13lb pike around there a couple of weeks before that.

:) Tight Lines!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

According to the Shannon regional Fisheries Board coarse angling is not permitted on Ennell.
    http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/game/lough-ennell.htm

So you would want to be using angling methods suitable for perch trout or pike.
    That covers spinning for the perch of course but I bet that groundbaiting would be unlawful under the rules seeing it's a managed wild trout fishery.

You should give the board a call ... their office is at Tudenham right beside the lake off the N52. The morning is the best time to get talking with the chaps that work on Ennell.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

funny thing is, the perch went for an 6" silver spoon for pike, greedy fecker!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

thanks for the replys guys..

didnt know about the whole no coarse fishing on ennell, I guess i will be focusing on pike so, and maybe perch, wouldnt mind catching me some 2lb perch though!! sounds nice.

I will try out that spot you mentioned DVD-Lots thanks!

Why, do you reckon no coarse angling is allowed?

will have a look down towards belvedere as well, will have to get a map, cas not to sure where the other spot you mentioned is.

anyone any ideas on the camping?

thanks again
    neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Why, do you reckon no coarse angling is allowed?

Crazy trout anglers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

...Why, do you reckon no coarse angling is allowed?...

Well if they manage it as a wild trout lake, the population is to be conserved, catch and release, and not replaced by restocking.
    So disease prevention (keepnets), groundbaiting prohibition, come to mind. But I expect the main reason would be a policy of keeping other species down to reduce competition for food. Other lakes nearby like eg Lough Iron would have better coarse fishing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

thanks for the replys guys..

anyone any ideas on the camping?

Islands are infested with rats but Leadeston might be your best bet.
    Nice mooring spots there too

Advertisement