Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New model Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 18-06-2008 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I’m interested in hearing the opinions & experiences of people who have driven the new model Mondeo – in particular the 1.6 petrol saloon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Honest John's review is ridiculously pro-Ford, but has some interesting information in it
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=920&

The 1.6 litre at 110 or 125 PS doesn't sound very good to drive to me personally.

I drove the 2.0 litre (145 PS) and it handled fine, not a major improvement over the last one, and personally I thought it less powerful than the last one.

There are already reports of niggling electrical issues and some bodywork problems and leaks.

From HonestJohn:

Rich Sowden's Experiences of 57 plate 2.0 tdci manual zetec estate with sports pack - 2 months' ownership/use and 7.5k later

"1 mystery event of all windows opening when parked in the rain (not repeated); 1 engine stutter & stall when braking from high speed - down to 30 mph with clutch in, selected 3rd to pull away and it just died (not repeated); It stutters slightly coming off/on the throttle mainly on m'ways. It prefers decent fuel - the stutter was more noticeable on Tesco/Asda diesel; is better with Shell and best with BP so far. Bad trim fit to nearside C pillar - squeaks like heck over most surfaces and if I wasn't doing so much mileage it would have been living at the dealer. Cental console (armrest) is showing alarming signs of doing the same thing. Wipers aren't great (wobbly, badly aligned) plus things like washer jets are misaligned on passenger side. I've noticed the amount of water the body seems to hold when it's raining - dodging the deluge from the boot is a bit of an art form after you
    open it up. Fuel consumption is probably averaging 40-42mpg. Much much worse in town but it is a big car."

That's crap for a diesel, it should be at least 50 mpg for a modern machine. The lower end petrol I imagine is quite asthmatic compared if the 2.0 litre is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We only get the 110bhp version of the 1.6 litre petrol which is silly considering the size and weight of the car.

The 1.8 TDCi Zetec is the pick of the bunch and a no brainer from 1st July imo.

Advertisement