Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic options for faster upload speeds.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just wondering if anyone here can help me.

I'm looking to start working from home a few days a week, i think i can bungle my way through the whole VPN thing myself, though it doesnt look all that straightforward.

The problem i can see arising is i will frequently need to access and save to multiple files in the order of anything from 5 to 20 megs. With the 384 kbbs thats offered to me its gonna be a headache.

Ive talked to a few very unhelpful people at Eircom and BT who didnt seem to understand "UPLOAD", with such helpful quotes as "Sir i'm happy to inform you were upgrading the lines to 8meg over the summer and it wont cost you anything extra" & this gem "Well 384kbps is plenty for most customers".

Best offer is some 'Sts' service which is 160 something euro a month with over 300 euro connection fee, i couldnt hear the exact price with the steam coming out of my ears.

Could anyone fill me in on the options available as im sure im not the only one in the country with this problem. Surely to god theres a 1meg upload somewhere, i could live with that to be honest.
    The only solution i can see at the moment is plan my work for the week put it on a portable hard drive and bring it with me, so much for digital ireland, whoopie.

Also if theres a thread where this has been answered could you direct me to it & ill apolgise in advance for the post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

where are you living?

most fixed wireless plans offer 1 Mb upload speeds afaik

edit: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=2

3 meg up and down down 50 quid a month

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lfeehan wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here can help me.

I'm looking to start working from home a few days a week, i think i can bungle my way through the whole VPN thing myself, though it doesnt look all that straightforward.

The problem i can see arising is i will frequently need to access and save to multiple files in the order of anything from 5 to 20 megs. With the 384 kbbs thats offered to me its gonna be a headache.

Ive talked to a few very unhelpful people at Eircom and BT who didnt seem to understand "UPLOAD", with such helpful quotes as "Sir i'm happy to inform you were upgrading the lines to 8meg over the summer and it wont cost you anything extra" & this gem "Well 384kbps is plenty for most customers".

Best offer is some 'Sts' service which is 160 something euro a month with over 300 euro connection fee, i couldnt hear the exact price with the steam coming out of my ears.

Could anyone fill me in on the options available as im sure im not the only one in the country with this problem. Surely to god theres a 1meg upload somewhere, i could live with that to be honest.
    The only solution i can see at the moment is plan my work for the week put it on a portable hard drive and bring it with me, so much for digital ireland, whoopie.

Also if theres a thread where this has been answered could you direct me to it & ill apolgise in advance for the post.

Smart do 1 meg upload on all there packages for €10 extra. The wireless ones such as Irish Broadband Breeze can give 2 to 3 megs up. I'm sure there's others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL has the worst upload/download ratio at typically 1/8th on 1Mbps or worse on higher speeds
    Cable, Metro, Breeze, FWA wireless all do 1M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

watty wrote: »
    DSL has the worst upload/download ratio at typically 1/8th on 1Mbps or worse on higher speeds
    Cable, Metro, Breeze, FWA wireless all do 1M

and what about contention Watty? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lfeehan

Smart isn't availably in my area yet as far as i know, ill try ring em in the morning and see if there is any update on that.

As for the wireless option, I had Irish Broadband before, it was utter muck with dropped connections and slow speeds even though i could see their transmitter out my window, looks like i may be forced back to it. I'm living in a different part of the country now to where i had it so i may be lucky :)

I'm sure i read somewhere before about higher upload speeds from differing DSL standards, that was probably in a developed country though.

Thanks for the replies folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Big difference between IBB breeze and IBB Ripwave

On Metro I experience more contention on the "special" package I moved to from the 3M/512K. On the new package my download speed drops a lot at peak times but upload is fairly constant at 1.5Mbps

On unmanaged networks where 5% to 10% of users run 24/7 p2p, as much as 80% traffic is P2P, you see big contention on upload at peak times and below package speed all the time.

On Digiweb the rolling cap evens out the P2P and limits it to about 30% traffic rather than 80% (those 5% to 10% users still eat 3x to 10x each the traffic of the normal 90% to 95% of users), so upload speed is fairly close to package speed at peak times. Download speed drops more % wise at peak times but never as bad as UK where TYPICAL users never see more than 1/3rd of their package speed.

Smart's "uncontended" broadband is that at the DSLAM, unlike eircom's retail or wholesale resold bitstream. However the backhaul almost certainly has a contention ratio. But if chose correctly, no-one will notice because unlike a Mobile sector that can only support 24 users max and 6 at reasonable speed, an exchange could have 100 to 1000 users sharing backhaul. Statistically it's very unlikely that everyone is using full bandwidth. Only a small % run P2p and other users occasionally stop to READ webpages or email, or sleep, eat, work and other non-computer activities unknown to PC/Net addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Magnet bb is symmetrical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is that not only on FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

any chance you could remote desktop over VPN to your PC in the office. That's the solution we use successfully at work. (we use a product from Juniper Networks that gives remote desktop proxy over VPN)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd just like to point out that Digiweb's own FWA product offers 256kbps upload at most and 128 kbps on all other packages. And the upload speeds seem nowhere near the 128 kbps claim, unlike their download speeds which are usually good.

Another wireless provider in my area has symmetrical services to customers of up to 6mbps but costs about €100 per month. Irish Broadband who are available in my area and nationally provide up to 3 mbps symmetrical on non commercial products.

Irish Broadband seem to have more widespread coverage than Smart, so are probably your best bet. Also have the cheapest commonly available 3 mbps upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

NTL's 12 Mb package has a 1 Mb up speed and it is decent enough.

I just recently had to do alot of uploading ( Websites and CoD4 Maps 35 MBs each + ) and the upload really did make a great difference. It has been said that NTL are looking at another upgrade before the end of the year, I doubt it will happen , but if it does I hope they fix really up the upload speed aswell, cause atm the ratio is not the best :( .

Advertisement