Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable Qualifications??

• 18-06-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi there,

A friend of mine has just booked her first psychotherapy session with a psychotherapist who has a qualification from :

http://www.hypnosiseire.com/

I am not aware of any other qualification although there may be. the 90 min session is costing €100. I may be wrong but should she be looking for this psychotherapist to be a member of a specific governing body to ensure that she is adequately qualified?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes, a competent and professional therapist should be registered with PSI, ICP, IACP etc.

I've never heard of that crowd on the link you've provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

are their courses validated by any of the education bodies - HETAC, FETAC, Universities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Although it is difficult to generalise, most legitimate people working as psychotherapists/counsellors/psychologists have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of classroom time and client contact time learning their craft. This usually involves many years of training. None of the mainstream psychological/counselling/psychotherapy professional bodies is mentioned by the website you referenced.

The following is taken directly from the above website and explains in detail how you become "qualified". You can draw your own conclusions :rolleyes:

"The Course is in two parts a correspondence home-study section consisting of 12 manuals and 26 Audio Cassettes, these modules will be dispatched to you forthnightly This course will take approximately 12 to 18 months depending on the time available to the student. This entitles you to a Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy.

Those who wish to set up in private practice and consult with clients, will need to complete the Practical Training, which is the practical application of the home study work, these classes are held in both Cork city (Wednesday evenings 7pm-10pm) and in the Marino Institute of Education in Dubln (once a month, Sat & Sun, 9am -5pm: 10 classes in total)*. Successful graduates of this course will graduate with an Advanced Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy.

The course syllabus is laid out in its entirity in the prospectus (see top of page), but briefly the course is designed for those who have either a passing knowledge or no knowledge at all of the subject matter, and covers all aspects of clinical hypnotherapy / hypnosis / psychotherapy & hypnoanalysis, so that on Graduation you will be in a position to set up in private practice, and start you new career as a professional, ethical, accredited and competent hypnotherapist / hypnoanalyst."

*:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Roll on statutory regulation, thought with all the bodies invovled for psychotherapy I personally think I will still take years. I hear of so many cases like the above its a disgrace.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Roll on statutory regulation, thought with all the bodies invovled for psychotherapy I personally think I will still take years. I hear of so many cases like the above its a disgrace.

+1

I keep hearing the most awful stories!

• Advertisement

I think I'm safe enough is giving this example [its old and very vague]a forensic agemcy once made a referral in relation to a peoson who had a serious gambling problem as well as highly problematic coke usage. I refused treatment after hearing the person was already booked for four sessions of hypnotherapy. The therapist claimed to have a 90% success rate with these cases.

I know us psychoanalysts are looking at longer term treatment, but without even an initial consultation to be offering a 90% chance of sucess just does not sit with me. I can't blame the client either, we all want quick fixes, but this type of stuff is just not ethical to me inanyway.

At least as psychologists you are protected by regulation, even though there are various counselling and psychtherapy bodies, I'm in I.A.A.A.C. and A.P.P.I. anybody with minimum training or none at all can call theselves a counsellor or psychotherapist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

Would it not be better for your friend to attend her own G.P. for referal to a councelling psychologist or a clinical psychologist. You are definatly garaunteed to be sent to somebody professional who may be of much more benefit.

I would thread very carefully going about it any other way. It might lead to more harm than good?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee

Psychotherapy is simply a mind massage. A slight shift it perception and context can work wonders. Hypnopsychology is a powerful tool. http://www.pauldee.com/stage_hypnosis.shtml for example.

regards,
    Paul Dee
    okgirl wrote: »
    Hi there,

A friend of mine has just booked her first psychotherapy session with a psychotherapist who has a qualification from :

I am not aware of any other qualification although there may be. the 90 min session is costing €100. I may be wrong but should she be looking for this psychotherapist to be a member of a specific governing body to ensure that she is adequately qualified?

Paul Dee wrote: »
    Psychotherapy is simply a mind massage. A slight shift it perception and context can work wonders. Hypnopsychology is a powerful tool. http://www.pauldee.com/stage_hypnosis.shtml for example.

regards,
    Paul Dee

Hi Paul, I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you but to describe psychotherapy as a simple mind massage is quite disturbing to be honest. I have been practising and studying for the past 12 years, spending 5 years in personal analysis as part of my training, and still continue to train. This is in addition a few thousand hours spent in supervision, reading groups peer superivision etc.

To be fair maybe your in the same position yourself, I could see little about about your clinical training and work on your site so I don't know. As I'm sure you would agree [I think] there is a significant difference between stage hypnosis and clinical work with people who may be suffering from quite severe and debilitating symptoms.

That is the issue that I actually find quite offensive to be honest, and I'm sure you did not mean to be disingenuous in your post but to make that comment is in my opinion disingenuous to people who are in psychotherapy with very severe disorders or attempting to overcome what can only be described as horrendous life histories and in reality may never recover not matter how much work they do on themselves.

I have no problem with you working both sides of the fence the stage side and the clinical side, fair play to you on that. Personally it wouldn't interest me as a profession, but I additionally note that I couldn't do that. However, [I could be wrong] I doubt that you would describe working with a person who has experienced institutional abuse or a person who is at risk of significant self harm as a simple mind massage.

As I said I don't wish to appear as I'm attacking you, especially as you quite new here, but personally I feel very strongly about the language used to describe psychotherapeutic interventions.

Now with having said all that, welcome to boards, I would actually be interested in your imput on this forum from the stage perspective. I know very little about it, but think its an interesting topic, the above just relates to my understanding of clinical work.

At least as psychologists you are protected by regulation, even though there are various counselling and psychtherapy bodies, I'm in I.A.A.A.C. and A.P.P.I. anybody with minimum training or none at all can call theselves a counsellor or psychotherapist.

Psychologists do NOT have statutory regulation. Neither does a properly qualified psychologist have to be registered with a regulating body. PSI is a voluntary body. The only health professionals with statutory registration are nurses and medical doctors. Anyone can call themselves a psychologist too.

There is a DOHC committee looking at regulation of the therapy professions (occupational, physio, and psychology) at the moment.

• Advertisement

Hi. I'll respond in CAPS if you don't mind. There are a number of points of interest and I don't to offend you in any way, it's just easier to differentiate between response/questions.
    Hi Paul, I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you but to describe psychotherapy as a simple mind massage is quite disturbing to be honest.
    NO ATTACK PERCEIVED ON MY PART. I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM.

I have been practising and studying for the past 12 years, spending 5 years in personal analysis as part of my training, and still continue to train. This is in addition a few thousand hours spent in supervision, reading groups peer superivision etc.

IT'S ABOUT POINTS OF VIEW.

To be fair maybe your in the same position yourself, I could see little about about your clinical training and work on your site so I don't know. As I'm sure you would agree [I think] there is a significant difference between stage hypnosis and clinical work with people who may be suffering from quite severe and debilitating symptoms.

Two DIFFERENT FIELDS i KNOW.

That is the issue that I actually find quite offensive to be honest, and I'm sure you did not mean to be disingenuous in your post but to make that comment
    YOU ARE CORRECT. I CERTAINLY DID NOT.

is in my opinion disingenuous to people who are in psychotherapy with very severe disorders or attempting to overcome what can only be described as horrendous life histories and in reality may never recover not matter how much work they do on themselves.

I AM NO STRANGER TO IT. I PURSUE THE SOLUTION.

I have no problem with you working both sides of the fence the stage side and the clinical side, fair play to you on that. Personally it wouldn't interest me as a profession, but I additionally note that I couldn't do that. However, [I could be wrong] I doubt that you would describe working with a person who has experienced institutional abuse or a person who is at risk of significant self harm as a simple mind massage.

YES. THERE ARE MANY IMPLICATIONS. MINDS MEET. MINDS MASSAGE OR INTEGRATE. MAYBE MY CHOICE OF WORDS WERE MISUNDERSTOOD.

As I said I don't wish to appear as I'm attacking you, especially as you quite new here, but personally I feel very strongly about the language used to describe psychotherapeutic interventions.

??

Now with having said all that, welcome to boards, I would actually be interested in your imput on this forum from the stage perspective. I know very little about it, but think its an interesting topic, the above just relates to my understanding of clinical work.

WE BOTH HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Psychologists do NOT have statutory regulation.

Well the bill has been passed, it just hasn't been enacted yet, so that will change quite soon.

Paul,

I would be interested to read a response from you that actually addressed the points raised by Odysseus above. Your reply to the post seems to consist of vague, bland generalities that don't deal with the concerns raised above by Odysseus.

Not only that, but you appear to be proposing some kind of extreme moral and ethical relativity, whereby all viewpoints, treatments, approaches and training are equally valid and effective. To reduce psychotherapy to a phrase like "mind-massage" suggests, at best, a poorly-informed opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

+1 to that.

Hi Gibs,
    To quote your good self....."you appear to be proposing some kind of extreme moral and ethical relativity, whereby all viewpoints, treatments, approaches and training are equally valid and effective. To reduce psychotherapy to a phrase like "mind-massage" suggests, at best, a poorly-informed opinion."..... Now how did you draw that conclusion!? Transference perhaps? I respect your right to your opinions and your pride in your achievements with whatever qualification you earned from whatever body. Now an unbiased question would have been "Well what exactly do you mean by 'Mind Massage'? You jumped from L to R! Never forget E&A. I will respond to Odysseus in more detail in order to clarify.
    Gibs wrote: »
    Paul,

I would be interested to read a response from you that actually addressed the points raised by Odysseus above. Your reply to the post seems to consist of vague, bland generalities that don't deal with the concerns raised above by Odysseus.

Not only that, but you appear to be proposing some kind of extreme moral and ethical relativity, whereby all viewpoints, treatments, approaches and training are equally valid and effective. To reduce psychotherapy to a phrase like "mind-massage" suggests, at best, a poorly-informed opinion.

Hi okgirl,
    it's not as complicated as you may experience. Governing bodies generally fall into two categories; Statuary regulating and self regulating. Can you trust either, or? The Banks for example, are regulated by the State! Hello! Other organizations are self regulatory. MEGA Hello! Most INDIVIDUALS are honest if they are not promoting some milking system €€€. Organizations consist of a sum of individuals. Find an individual therapist in the field of your choice. Get a free introductory consultation to discuss how you may benefit from paying out hard earned money. And never commit to a large lump sum payment up front! A successful therapist will never rubbish other therapies. Whatever Works... Works!
    okgirl wrote: »
    Hi there,

Statuary regulating and self regulating. Can you trust either, or? The Banks for example, are regulated by the State! Hello!

That is a fairly ridiculous comparison and it doesn't really explain anything at all.
    Other organizations are self regulatory. MEGA Hello!

Now I'm just confused.

While I'm not a fan of the aforementioned don't knock them, they provide potential therapists with a good grounding. It's up to the individual after that. You can spend thousands of hours learning to drive a car also. Would you rather be killed by a qualified driver or an experienced driver? Obviously you'd rather not be killed at all!
    Although it is difficult to generalise, most legitimate people working as psychotherapists/counsellors/psychologists have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of classroom time and client contact time learning their craft. This usually involves many years of training. None of the mainstream psychological/counselling/psychotherapy professional bodies is mentioned by the website you referenced.

The following is taken directly from the above website and explains in detail how you become "qualified". You can draw your own conclusions :rolleyes:

"The Course is in two parts a correspondence home-study section consisting of 12 manuals and 26 Audio Cassettes, these modules will be dispatched to you forthnightly This course will take approximately 12 to 18 months depending on the time available to the student. This entitles you to a Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy.

Those who wish to set up in private practice and consult with clients, will need to complete the Practical Training, which is the practical application of the home study work, these classes are held in both Cork city (Wednesday evenings 7pm-10pm) and in the Marino Institute of Education in Dubln (once a month, Sat & Sun, 9am -5pm: 10 classes in total)*. Successful graduates of this course will graduate with an Advanced Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy.

The course syllabus is laid out in its entirity in the prospectus (see top of page), but briefly the course is designed for those who have either a passing knowledge or no knowledge at all of the subject matter, and covers all aspects of clinical hypnotherapy / hypnosis / psychotherapy & hypnoanalysis, so that on Graduation you will be in a position to set up in private practice, and start you new career as a professional, ethical, accredited and competent hypnotherapist / hypnoanalyst."

*:eek:

You can spend thousands of hours learning to drive a car also. Would you rather be killed by a qualified driver or an experienced driver? Obviously you'd rather not be killed at all!

Your analogies are very cryptic!

I AM ASTONISHED ON TWO COUNTS! 1.I am being admonished for using the term 'Mind Massage' which must seem demeaning to every masseuse reading this who is trained to relieve tension. and 2. No psychoanalyst or psychotherapist has politely enquired what I meant when I mentioned 'Mind Massage'. All jumped to conclusions!!! /
    Hi Paul, I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you but to describe psychotherapy as a simple mind massage is quite disturbing to be honest. I have been practising and studying for the past 12 years, spending 5 years in personal analysis as part of my training, and still continue to train. This is in addition a few thousand hours spent in supervision, reading groups peer superivision etc.

That is the issue that I actually find quite offensive to be honest, and I'm sure you did not mean to be disingenuous in your post but to make that comment is in my opinion disingenuous to people who are in psychotherapy with very severe disorders or attempting to overcome what can only be described as horrendous life histories and in reality may never recover not matter how much work they do on themselves.

• Advertisement

The simplest solution is often the most complex to arrive at.
    Valmont wrote: »
    That is a fairly ridiculous comparison and it doesn't really explain anything at all.

Now I'm just confused.

The simplest solution is often the most complex to arrive at.

Identify the confusion and clear the confusion. It's not difficult.

Hi Paul, can you explain to us then what you mean by the said term please, I would also be interested in what conclusion you see me as jumping to in my post as you did quote me.

I metioned twice in my post that I knew nothing about your work practice and tried not to jump to conclusoins about your training and practice. People are asking you questions here and whilst you posting you not really answering their questions are you?

Also Paul I will "rubbish" therapies that I think are weak, I teach as well hence part of my brief is to be critical, personally I have to be critical of my own practice. I would never say that to a client now, however, whilst I make the point thats its their choice, if a client of mine is looking at any of the hypno or NLP therapies I will advise against it.

This is basically based on my viewpoint that people should be required to be at Masters level. That's a personal opinion, but its also a clinical one. It based on the fact that training is of a low level. Finally in a reply to Gibs you state that the metioned programme provides therapists with a good grounding, that is very minimum training, do you really believe its a suitable amonut of training to work with client who may have severe mental health issues?

Sorry Paul, just to add these points I was distracted whilst writing the above post and missed some issues. I am am open to other therapies working, the topic of CBT comes up here alot, personally I have little time for it in my practice and have done some training in it. However, I have often noted here that people I work with are CBT therapists and provide useful interventions and get good results. So its not a case of me personally only having time for Freud and Lacan. It comes down to training, supervision and the quality of the interventions in my opinion inanyway.

It was not just the term mind massage I have issues with Paul, it was your statement that "psychotherapy is simply a mind massage", that I was responding to initally.

The driving analogy is a poor analogy, yes it can be a dangerous activity but your not providing a mental health intervention. People are not paying you for a service.

Merely my opinion, but such courses as above should only be used as an add on to a grounding in schools of psychotherapy, long-term practice of one specific methodology, psychodiagnostics, physical psychology, production of research such as thesis, [my MA thesis was 55,000 words] attendance at reading groups.

Cheers

In my opinion it all comes down to a previous remark made in a similar thread before; Would you want to be treated by or receive medical advice off a doctor who had only studied for a year? Of course not. (I'm not sure the exact length of your training Paul, I'm just commenting on a previous post that is similar in nature).

Just because someone may have an "interest" in an area and who has done some weekend courses on the subject doesn't mean they should then deem themselves ready/competent to treat very vulnerable people. This type of knowledge comes with continuous training and experience over a number of years.

Hi Odysseus (Real Identity Masked) I perhaps should be unnerved talking with a stranger, but I'm not. I'm not comfortable either. But comfortable to speak openly and honestly. You're obviously a male, certainly no older than 40 or even 30 and you are very devoted to the method of psychotherapy in which you have been indoctrinated. If it works it works! . Other than that you chose to remain hidden. However, you are inquisitive and I will respond to the stranger using the name Odysseus in CAPS BELOW for my convenience. Please do not think I will not be SHOUTING. Odysseus
    Hi Paul, can you explain to us then what you mean by the said term please, MIND MASSAGE? I would also be interested in what conclusion you see me as jumping to in my post as you did quote me. WELL, YOU AND THE OTHER CORRESPONDENTS ASSUMED THAT A MIND MASSAGE WAS A TRIVIAL THING TO ACHIEVE. THE CONCEPT WAS TRIVIALIZED ON YOUR POST

I metioned twice in my post that I knew nothing about your work practice and tried not to jump to conclusoins about your training and practice. People are asking you questions here and whilst you posting you not really answering their questions are you? YES I AM ANSWERING. AN ASSOCIATION IS A CLUB, A GATHEING OF LIKE-MINDED INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREELY ASSOCIATE. BUT A CLUB/ASSOCIATION DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE DOMAIN. yOU OR i CANNOT CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE PSYCHE., NOR CAN ANY GOVERNMENT.

Also Paul I will "rubbish" therapies that I think are weak, I teach as well hence part of my brief is to be critical, personally I have to be critical of my own practice. WHY RUBBISH A THERAPY, IF IT WORKS IT WORKS!! I would never say that to a client now, however, whilst I make the point that its their choice, if a client of mine is looking at any of the hypno or NLP therapies I will advise against it. WHY? RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES! RESULT AFTER 2 WEEKS!! READ HERE <advertisement removed by moderator (p.pete)>

IF A PROSPECTIVE CLIENT OF MINE ASKED FOR A REFERANCE I WOUL ALSO ASK S/HE TO CHECK OT MY RESPONSE TO OKGIRL EARLIER IN THIS POST.

This is basically based on my viewpoint that people should be required to be at Masters level. I APPRECIATE YOU PUT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT INTO YOUR MASTERS. That's a personal opinion, but its also a clinical one. It based on the fact that training is of a low level. I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. Finally in a reply to Gibs you state that the metioned programme provides therapists with a good grounding, that is very minimum training, AGREE do you really believe its a suitable amonut of training to work with client who may have severe mental health issues?[ I DON'T GENERALISE WITH SPECIFIC CASES. REFER WITH YOUR CLIENT'S CONCENT AND I'LL LET YOU KNOW.

PAUL DEE.

/quote]

*Simone* wrote: »
    In my opinion it all comes down to a previous remark made in a similar thread before; Would you want to be treated by or receive medical advice off a doctor who had only studied for a year? Of course not. (I'm not sure the exact length of your training Paul, I'm just commenting on a previous post that is similar in nature).

Just because someone may have an "interest" in an area and who has done some weekend courses on the subject doesn't mean they should then deem themselves ready/competent to treat very vulnerable people. This type of knowledge comes with continuous training and experience over a number of years.

YOU ARE CORRECT TO THE POINT WHERE RESULTS WILL SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.YOU ARE TRUE OF HEART AND YOU WILL RISE ABOVE THE TIDE SIMONE.

Paul there ia a link at the bottom of my posts that supplies my name its in clear view, so there is nothing hidden there. Though as the event is over I will be removing soon as sometimes you need to protect yourself where your clinical work brings you into contact with criminality and you have to write court reports, reports in relation to child protection etc.

I'm not really hidden at all, alot of my posts are in the athletics forum where I keep a detailed training long. I generally avoid long debates here as I'm generally stuck for time. There are pics of me on my profile page, so all in all I would say I'm quite open. Given the nature of some of the people I work with maybe too open to be honest, lots of my co-workers have had serious threats made against them at some stage. However, to be fair its a small aspect of the work, but a real one.

I am not aware of the concept so I don't think I trivialised it, in fact I thought that stating psychotherapy was "simply a mind massage" trivialised psychotherapy as a whole. On this point you still have not enlightened us to the concept as a clinical procedure.

When I say you weren't answering the questions I was not refering to an association but to the questions I asked which you really didn'y answer from a clinical perspective.

The way you answers posts do make it difficult to take it all it to be fair, but if thats how you respond so be it. I have been working in front of the laptop for most of the day so maybe I'm tired but you last point makes no sense, what is it your say here.

It appears that you just putting words on the screen, "refer with your clients consent and I'll let you know". Seriously as I said I generally avoid long drawn out debates, but if you not willing to answer peoples questions, I'm not going to waste my time. The cured in two weeks thing doesn't cut for me, when I first started to see my partner she had a similar phobia, I arrange for a gliding lesson it may not have an engine but its still a plane, spent a bit of time with her and bingo she love it, and now flys a few times a year.

My studies may have helped atad but its not a claim that is a proven intervention. I'm losing faith here I was thinking that you would provided an insight into what you offer clinically but I'm starting to doubt that now.

YOU ARE CORRECT TO THE POINT WHERE RESULTS WILL SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.YOU ARE TRUE OF HEART AND YOU WILL RISE ABOVE THE TIDE SIMONE.

Paul I think this 'Psychology' forum isn't the right area for you. Perhaps try 'adverts.ie' or the 'paranormal' forums.

• Advertisement

Paul there ia a link at the bottom of my posts that supplies my name its in clear view, so there is nothing hidden there. Though as the event is over I will be removing soon as sometimes you need to protect yourself where your clinical work brings you into contact with criminality and you have to write court reports, reports in relation to child protection etc.

I'm not really hidden at all, alot of my posts are in the athletics forum where I keep a detailed training long. I generally avoid long debates here as I'm generally stuck for time. There are pics of me on my profile page, so all in all I would say I'm quite open. Given the nature of some of the people I work with maybe too open to be honest, lots of my co-workers have had serious threats made against them at some stage. However, to be fair its a small aspect of the work, but a real one. SO WHY NOT USE YOUR NAME

I am not aware of the concept so I don't think I trivialised it, in fact I thought that stating psychotherapy was "simply a mind massage" trivialised psychotherapy as a whole. On this point you still have not enlightened us to the concept as a clinical procedure.

When I say you weren't answering the questions I was not refering to an association but to the questions I asked which you really didn'y answer from a clinical perspective.

The way you answers posts do make it difficult to take it all it to be fair, but if thats how you respond so be it. I have been working in front of the laptop for most of the day so maybe I'm tired but you last point makes no sense, what is it your say here.

It appears that you just putting words on the screen, "refer with your clients consent and I'll let you know". Seriously as I said I generally avoid long drawn out debates, but if you not willing to answer peoples questions, I'm not going to waste my time. The cured in two weeks thing doesn't cut for me, when I first started to see my partner she had a similar phobia, I arrange for a gliding lesson it may not have an engine but its still a plane, spent a bit of time with her and bingo she love it, and now flys a few times a year.

My studies may have helped atad but its not a claim that is a proven intervention. I'm losing faith here I was thinking that you would provided an insight into what you offer clinically but I'm starting to doubt that now.

I'll agree to differ with you on you methodologies. And I will keep this brief and to the point. You've made it clear that you have a view on psychotherapy and you are firmly fixed on that view. Fine. I'll leave the debate rest knowing that there are other psychotherapeutic alternatives that work. And I am sure there are other successful methods out there too I am not narrow minded to anything other than that is the case.

The concept I work by: Client has (a) Conscious intellect and (b) a subconscious storehouse. When (a) encounters a familiar experience (b) provides an automatic familiar response. When (a) encounters a new experience (b) triggers the Best-Fit response available in its storehouse.

A Psychotherapist uses his/her (a1) & (b1) to address a subconscious conflict at client's (b) which is puzzling the client's (a) because the situation cannot be resolved by the client's logic. The conflict makes no sense for if it did, there simply wouldn't be a conflict in the first place.

On entering therapy the therapist's biased (a1) uses the resources of (b1) to communicate with the client's (a) to unearth the conflict at (b)

Using hypnosis removes one of the 'Middle men' as it were, so the therapist's biased (a1) uses the resources of (b1) to communicate directly with (b) using specialist methods. THAT'S THE MIND MASSAGE BIT. Specialists techniques that allow the client to make a shift in perception and context.

The process can get remarkable results in usually six to eight sessions.
    to quote your response " The cured in two weeks thing doesn't cut for me" is evidence of a closed mind.

The lady was cured in two weeks (4 sessions). Her plea for assistance - her progress and her after report were broadcast live on radio.

Paul I'm not closed to other therapies, I am though interested in standards of practice and quality of training. A common example is clients are often referred to me by another service because I'm considered a specialist in a particular area [not by myself I must add]. If they want to work with me that's fine, however, I will not see a person just for that particular issue that is considered to be my speciality. They have a choice to make me or the other service in relation to psychotherapy. I will not see a client who is engaged in psychotherpeutic work else where. Though this is a common request and I will not stand over this practice.

I have stated using CBT as an example that I'm open to other therapies working for people, it would be a sad day if I thought my way was the only way. I have seen my co-workers work wonders with people using different methods.

See Paul personally again I don't believe that therapy belongs on the media, it is a subjective experience that belongs in a consulting room. However, thank you for explaining your concept of a mind massage at least people now have some understanding of what you where saying, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Paul I'm not closed to other therapies, I am though interested in standards of practice and quality of training. A common example is clients are often referred to me by another service because I'm considered a specialist in a particular area [not by myself I must add]. If they want to work with me that's fine, however, I will not see a person just for that particular issue that is considered to be my speciality. They have a choice to make me or the other service in relation to psychotherapy. I will not see a client who is engaged in psychotherpeutic work else where. Though this is a common request and I will not stand over this practice.

I have stated using CBT as an example that I'm open to other therapies working for people, it would be a sad day if I thought my way was the only way. I have seen my co-workers work wonders with people using different methods.

See Paul personally again I don't believe that therapy belongs on the media, it is a subjective experience that belongs in a consulting room. However, thank you for explaining your concept of a mind massage at least people now have some understanding of what you where saying, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Just to be clear. The therapy wasn't conducted on radio. I was contacted by the station in relation to a caller with a chronic fear of flying. I was asked if i could assist the caller during a radio interview. The therapy was conducted in private and the radio station did subsequent 'during & afterwards' interviews with the lady in question.

Paul at the end of the day its your practice and your the one to stand over it, people here can only express opinions. I take your point above but still hold the same position.

Well folks that's pretty much all I have to say at the minute. I was originally prompted to respond because I felt hypnosis was getting a bit of an undeserved bashing by the uninitiated. I am in favour of high standards of training and practice as is the Guild of which I am a member.

I've always been suspicious of any pro regulation debates because when you dig deep enough it usually involves some of the stakeholders claiming high moral ground and at the root of it all the focus seems to be on keeping a tap into State fiscal funding. This does nothing for standards other than politicising them. I say let the market decide. Just an opinion.

*Simone* wrote: »
    Paul I think this 'Psychology' forum isn't the right area for you. Perhaps try 'adverts.ie' or the 'paranormal' forums.

Fair enough Simone, I'll go. Was the gibe really necessary. (Rhetorical) Adiós

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Was the gibe really necessary

If it works, it works!:rolleyes:

Myksyk wrote: »
    If it works, it works!:rolleyes:

Suspicions confirmed! Vamoooooose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Ah ... the sound of a bad argument leaving.

Myksyk wrote: »
    Ah ... the sound of a bad argument leaving.
    :D

:D
    The sound of a bad argument IMPLODING! Pay particular attention to detail!

• Advertisement

The sound of a bad argument IMPLODING! Pay particular attention to detail!
    And always review and assimilate before responding.

Advertisement