Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia vs. Sweden

• 18-06-2008 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

well it's the last of the group stage matches tonight, and this is the one everyone will be watching.

the big questions tonight are Arsharvin and Ibrahimovic. Hiddink in particular has given strong indications he wont start the versatile Russian, although the swedes believe this to be nothing but mind games. Ibrahimivich will most likely start. He's basically the Swede's only real threat, but has that (recurring?) knee injury, so it'll be interesting to see how effective he is.

bets? i think Russia could pull a fast one myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Its very tight
    Ive backed russia but to be honest its for no reason other than to make the game a bit more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Definitely backing Sweden for this one.
    Have a bet on them to reach the quarters.
    Plus I think their the better side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

SSN have been saying Ibrahimovic is a major doubt for tonight.

could be just mind games from the Swedish camp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's a tough one to pick a favourite, it will be a close match I reckon. I am interested to see Arshavin just to see what all the fuss is about :).

I'm going to go for the Russians 1.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

I'd say 0-0 boring game Sweden qualify on goal difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

1-1 for me.

Given Abramovich is a big fan and financial backer of the national team, wonder how the atmosphere would be if Scolaris Portugl eventually knocked them out :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have 2 long odds accumulators climaxing in this game. Regardless which team wins i make about a 6-1 return (10 on each). So anything but a draw and I'm happy!

..its gonna be a draw isn't it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

I think Pavyluchenko could be the difference between the sides. He looked very lively against Greece.

OK, tectonic drift would have looked very lively against Greece. Even so, I think he has goals in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Have 2 long odds accumulators climaxing in this game. Regardless which team wins i make about a 6-1 return (10 on each). So anything but a draw and I'm happy!

..its gonna be a draw isn't it....

Lay it off on Betfair if you are that worried and lock in your profit.

I haven't seen Russia yet so I can't comment on them but I was very impressed by Sweden in both games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Russia: Akinfeev, Kolodine, Ignashevitch, Anyukov, Zyryanov, Zhirkov, Semshov, Semak, Bilyaletdinov, Pavluchenko, Arshavin.

Sweden: Isaksson, Stoor, Nilsson, Mellberg, Hansson, Svensson, Ljungberg, Andersson, Larsson, Ibrahimovic, Elmander.

Looks like both lineups are very attacking.

Lots of goals pls !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Lay it off on Betfair if you are that worried and lock in your profit.

I haven't seen Russia yet so I can't comment on them but I was very impressed by Sweden in both games

Lay which one off?

How would he lock in his profit?

ON topic, 2-1 Sweden for me.

Just think they have more football brains than Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

kraggy wrote: »
    Lay which one off?

How would he lock in his profit?

If he wins money if either team win and the only way he loses is if he draws he can lock in profit by laying the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

gotcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I have RTE on, is the match on BBC or ITV?

And is the other match live on RTE Online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Sweden. Russia are a bit meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DesF wrote: »
    And is the other match live on RTE Online?

yeah. no commentary though or score icons though, which is annoying if you're only trying keep track of it.

yeah. no commentary though or score icons though, which is annoying if you're only trying keep track of it.

Hmm.

RTE Online + BBC online updates so...

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It's on ITV1.

Russia to beat the Swedes 3-2.

SofaK wrote: »
    It's on ITV1..

That it decided then.

I'm sticking with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Ibrahimovic to be sent off. I feel it in my bones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sweden for me in this by the odd goal, think there will be goals in this.

Heja Sverige!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

1-0 to the Russians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What a pass from Arshavin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Russia are up for this,
    Better start , they look really lively and good going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

YESSSS!!!!! The Pavster strikes again!!!

F*cking love this guy.

Brilliant goal and completely deserved. I've been really impressed with the Russians this half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nicely worked goal.

1-0 nil Russia

Fully deserved , better team

piece of class by larsson (unlucky)

Still a hell of a player

• Advertisement

Shoulda been 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh Pavster went close there. Definite man of the match for me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I <3 Pavlychenko :pac:

So close to being two as well, great effort off the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're growing into this, still need the second goal but if they keep playing as they are it should come. Great to see so much crisp attacking football this tournament.

Mike.

Nice.

2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That was just lovely, gwan Russia

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Great to see so much crisp attacking football this tournament.
    It's been the hallmark of this Euros.

Lovin' it.

That goal is football at it's best. Magic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'd love to Arshavin move to the English Premier League. He reminds me a lot of Messi, though obviously not quite as good. One of those players that's great to watch, even if he's playing against your team.

I hope Sweden get one in the next couple of minutes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tom65 wrote: »
    I'd love to Arshavin move to the English Premier League. He reminds me a lot of Messi, though obviously not quite as good. One of those players that's great to watch, even if he's playing against your team.
    He'd be a nice Hleb replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

how have they not made it 3-0 by now

He'd be a nice Hleb replacement

was just thinking the same thing myself. He can slot in anywhere in the midfield and forwards, but would be ideal in the supporting role to Adebayor like Hleb did last Season. probably be a but more prolific too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shudda been at least 3-0 if not four, poor finishing will cost them :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Great attacking play by Russia, shouldve been 5-nil really, Hiddink has some record as an international coach....hope they score first in quarterfinal against the dutch, should be a cracker! :) Ibrahimovic reverts back to his total-donkey status, a joke of a player

Russia to cause an upset against the Netherlands anyone? I might put a few quid on it. they are a completely different team with Arse-shavings. can't wait for that game now though, i think it'll be the most interesting of the quarters. 2 dodgy defences :D

Well played by Russia. Both Pavlyuchenko and Arshavin took their goals very well and but for some poor finishing and the woodwork they could have had more. I think 2-0 probably flattered Sweden as they just didn't look bothered. I couldn't believe it when I saw Ibrahimovic sharing a joke with Hiddink after the final whistle. Was he not bothered about the game at all? He seemed to have reverted to the same Ibrahimovic that I regularly see in the Champions League doing very little except looking around for someone to blame after ballooning yet another shot over the bar.

I feel a bit sorry for Henrik Larsson. Had his first half header gone in it could have been very different. I assume he'll be retiring from international football now?

Lastly can anyone confirm the correct pronounciation of Kim Källström? George Hamilton was pronouncing it as Shell-strum and I'm curious to know if he's right.

malice_ wrote: »
    Lastly can anyone confirm the correct pronounciation of Kim Källström? George Hamilton was pronouncing it as Shell-strum and I'm curious to know if he's right.

shel-strom is what's on the wikipedia IPA entry.

i've also seen it referred to as Czel-straim though...

the wikipedia IPA entry.
    Do you mean this? I looked at that but I had no idea what "kɪm 'ɕɛlˌstrœm" translates to in letters I can pronounce :).

malice_ wrote: »
    Do you mean this? I looked at that but I had no idea what "kɪm 'ɕɛlˌstrœm" translates to in letters I can pronounce :).

yeah. that's the spot. do a little more digging and you'll find this. anyway, i'm sure a native Swede would be able to point out the proper nuances of the pronunciation but George by and large seems to have it correct (or at least as correct as a native English speaker with no exposure to the swedish language would)

shelstrom or czelstrem... somewhere between the two i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Russia to cause an upset against the Netherlands anyone? I might put a few quid on it. they are a completely different team with Arse-shavings. can't wait for that game now though, i think it'll be the most interesting of the quarters. 2 dodgy defences :D

Holland have arguably drawn the strongest team left. Id love to think they can massacre them the way they did the others, but Im nervy about it. Dutch need to shock them with an early goal. If the Dutch can get by this I think they have it won.

• Advertisement
Advertisement