Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC tried to install my broad band, need advice!?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Had an technician come to the house today to install my broad band. He left saying that he couldn't install it, that it wouldn't work. He said that the cable running into the house he says is fine, but he said that the cable that was wired with the house, which is in the kitchen, which goes upstairs to a booster in the attic, is not good enough?! From the booster then there are several cables to the other rooms, he says these are fine.

He said basically that the internal cable that was used in the house (which isnt that old, about 7 years) isn't good enough?

I'm just wondering is this bs, because I would have thought coaxial cable was just coaxial cable and not much else to it.

Did anyone else have this problem when they came to install it...

Or is it just a confused techy I got??

Many thanks,
    Coz.

So angry and pissed off that I couldnt get it today, such a disappointment :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's bull****.

When I got my NTL installed, I thought they would plug a modem into the tv point, but no, the guy asked me where I wanted my modem and ran a brand new cable from the junction box all the way round the outside (very neatly) and drilled a hole in through the wall and put the box exactly where I wanted it.

So pleased until I rearranged my furniture and realised that I had asked for it in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

So do you reckon he wasn't lying about the internal cable in the house not being good enough?, but that he should have laid a cable good enough for it from where it can be connected to where I want it to be.

The thing is, he said that the cable from outside (the good cable, which he reckons should do the job) runs into my house downstairs in my tv room, but my computer where I want the broadband is upstairs. So I cant see him putting a cable in downstairs and bringing it all the way upstairs.. where would he put it all, just leave it hanging out going up the stairs?

My main question really is, is there a possibility that the coaxial cable (its a brown cable if that helps) which is going from my TV room downstairs (where the outside cable comes in), to the TV in the kitchen, to the 'booster' in the attic, is actually not good enough?

If this is the case im disgusted with the fact that the house was built with such crap cable.

I've thought of two solutions,

1: Put a ****e pc down beside my tv, along with the cable modem and the wireless router, and just leave it sitting there all ways on, acting like a server to give wireless Internet to the house.

2: Actually run a good cable up the side of the wall downstairs, through the roof, up into the computer room. This sounds a bit much really..

These could only work anyways, provided the cable down in that room is actualy good cable, at this stage it could be anything, or something else could be rong with it...

Sigh..

Any thoughts, recommendations, help

Really would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Coz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

If the cable coming into the house beside your TV is good enough, just install the Braodband there. Then just connect the Cable modem to a wireless router and any PC with a wireless card or wireless USB Stick can connect to it.
    YOu don't need a PC beside the Cable modem or wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Mad.. you can do that?

How do I configure everything then though :/ ?

Your a genius, got me happy again.!!

Have a look here.

Basically - all you need is :

Cable (goes into your house) --> Cable Modem --> Wireless Router

Then any PC can connect either directly or Wirelessly to the Router.

For example, I'm with Irish Broadband - their signal comes in upstairs and It goes into a wireless router. I then connect to the router (which in turn connects to the internet) with a wireless USB Sitck on my PC.

UPC might be able to supply you with a wireless router, but if not, they're not that expensive to buy - here's a complete kit for €38

• Advertisement

This is all assuming you can get the "good" coax cable into your house somewhere - and beside a power outlet so you can plug in the cable modem and router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could also go with Powerline, wireless these days is getting quite slow with the amount of access points around the place.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XAV101.aspx

85mbps .. and it isnt affected by your frikkin neighbours wireless !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

craichoe wrote: »
    ... and it isnt affected by your frikkin neighbours wireless !
    .. nor is my wireless! Just change it to a different channel to what 99.9999999999% of the folks out there are using (i.e. 7 in the case of eircom). Mine's running perfectly on channel 13 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I just use a wireless router at my BB connection point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

craichoe wrote: »
    You could also go with Powerline, wireless these days is getting quite slow with the amount of access points around the place.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XAV101.aspx

85mbps .. and it isnt affected by your frikkin neighbours wireless !

Powerlines - The better ones are linksys IMO. Its possible to connect a switch to them at the other end and they will work via a power surger. I had a netgear one and it died (power failed on it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Alun wrote: »
    .. nor is my wireless! Just change it to a different channel to what 99.9999999999% of the folks out there are using (i.e. 7 in the case of eircom). Mine's running perfectly on channel 13 at the moment.

Not as simple as that mate :) .. Microwaves, Cordless phones, High voltage power lines all affect throughput on Wireless. Re-Heating food in my Microwave use to wreck streaming to my media center.

Advertisement