Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R148 - Leixlip - Maynooth road Speed Limit

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why the R148 has had its limit dropped from 80km/h to 50km/h?

I know there was road works a couple of weeks back, but that appears to have finished, and the new signs look permanent.

Seems crazy to be honest as the bulk of it has a hard shoulder in each direction, it was once the primary N4 route & craziest of all is the speed limit actually goes UP to 60km/h as you enter either town... :eek:

Mighty difficult to keep to a limit of 50km/h! At least there is the M4 as an alternative. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't driven it in about two weeks so I wasn't even aware it had gone down!

For most of its length its WS2 grade, former National road. Gets a bit narrow just past Pike's Bridge towards Maynooth, thats it.

Can see the Guards being out in force here as most people run about 100 there anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Cionád wrote: »
    Anyone know why the R148 has had its limit dropped from 80km/h to 50km/h?

I know there was road works a couple of weeks back, but that appears to have finished, and the new signs look permanent.

I seem to remember that all the permanent limits are multiples of 20 km/h, and these 30/50/70 limits are all temporary limits during works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds painful as it's a very straight bit of road. I've seen Guards doing speed checks there from time to time so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zube wrote: »
    I seem to remember that all the permanent limits are multiples of 20 km/h, and these 30/50/70 limits are all temporary limits during works.

...standard urban speed limit is 50! 60 is only a (widely used) special speed limit. 70kmh isn't a valid limit, theres no valid sign for it. Although theres a nice set of 70kmh signs at the Ravensdale slip on the N1....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MYOB wrote: »
    I haven't driven it in about two weeks so I wasn't even aware it had gone down!
    Can see the Guards being out in force here as most people run about 100 there anyway!

I drove from May -> Leix on Sunday and the limit was 50km/h eastbound only. Today both directions were at 50. They even erected a new pole for the sign on the Leixlip side for the new limit so I can't see it being temporary.

Thought of being 'done' for going 65km/h on that straight is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

It's just downright stupid in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I used to drive this daily and thats the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Re-surface that road and it would be grand at 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

fletch wrote: »
    I've seen Guards doing speed checks there from time to time so be careful.

no surprise there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

MYOB wrote: »
    ...standard urban speed limit is 50! 60 is only a (widely used) special speed limit. 70kmh isn't a valid limit, theres no valid sign for it. Although theres a nice set of 70kmh signs at the Ravensdale slip on the N1....

I was on the N3 the other day passing the garden works. The current limit is set at 60km/h ( i shall rant about this in another thread) anyways on to my point. Behind a speed limit/bus lane sign that was covered i made out a speed limit sign that 70km/h!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This sounds like another dumb ass limit for no obvious reasons. I had the same rant about this due to the N2 from Coldwinters down to Killshane cross having the same fate, i.e. a 50km/h limit for no obvious reason. An absolute joke imho.

It does nothing to sustain fate with the public on how speed limits are set.

Im familiar with the road (R148)and use it quite a bit. I have never seen an accident on it, apart from a Golf that creamed the lights out of it outside Intel, there a few weeks ago, but thats the 60km/hr region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this the road between Tescos Maynooth and Intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this the road between Tescos Maynooth and Intel?

Yes.

Only on the wide straight bits, the twisty bits are still 60:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

of course the most annoying this is,

you either follow the speed limit (like I roughly did) and feel like a moron and yes all the cars will be tailgating you,

or you dont and risk that you meet garda and get the ticket, a bit same when driving in m50 when speedlimit is 60,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Any ideas who to ring to get an answer to this question. Id love to know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That's absolutely mad!! I used to drive that road an awful lot. Is there any major event on in Carton House? Maybe the limit is temproary until this event is over...? :confused:

Still seems weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Any ideas who to ring to get an answer to this question. Id love to know the answer.

Kildare County Council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

r3nu4l wrote: »
    That's absolutely mad!! I used to drive that road an awful lot. Is there any major event on in Carton House? Maybe the limit is temproary until this event is over...? :confused:

Still seems weird.

No major events as far as I can tell.

I would have thought they'd have put up one of those electric boards to warn of the lower limit but they've just replaced the old signs & i'd say most people wouldn't spot the difference, they'd be so used to the previous limit. Drove it again today, it's painstakingly slow. The vast majority of cars were still going 75-85.

There is a small patch of temporary surface near the entrance to Carton, other than that the road is the same as always.

@Andrewf20: If you ring Kildare Coco, post what they say, if anything!

Advertisement