Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which smoke machine?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Following on from the lights question, Ive been trying to get a FAQ on fog machines as Im in the market for one. Can lads answer where they can below? any answers appreciated.

Fog or Haze machines?
    Apart from the obvious build quality, whats the difference between expensive and cheapo ones?
    Is all smoke machine fluid the same?
    Where do you get your fluid?
    How expensive to run, ie, how long would you get out of a litre of fluid?
    Is there an optimum capactiy of fluid that your machine should be able to take?
    Any frequently recurring problems or parts that will need replacing over time?
    Is one smoke machine enough?
    Will I need a controller or how is the fog/haze controlled?
    Is the rumour about Fog/Haze affecting singers voices true?
    Is the rumour about Fog/Haze affecting getting into speaker and causing problems true?
    Any Irish hotels that wont allow them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

thumpybum wrote: »
    Following on from the lights question, Ive been trying to get a FAQ on fog machines as Im in the market for one. Can lads answer where they can below? any answers appreciated.

Fog or Haze machines?
    Apart from the obvious build quality, whats the difference between expensive and cheapo ones?
    Is all smoke machine fluid the same?
    Where do you get your fluid?
    How expensive to run, ie, how long would you get out of a litre of fluid?
    Is there an optimum capactiy of fluid that your machine should be able to take?
    Any frequently recurring problems or parts that will need replacing over time?
    Is one smoke machine enough?
    Will I need a controller or how is the fog/haze controlled?
    Is the rumour about Fog/Haze affecting singers voices true?
    Is the rumour about Fog/Haze affecting getting into speaker and causing problems true?
    Any Irish hotels that wont allow them?

Hey friend I think this thread you posted might not belong on this forum, check with the moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Whoah steady on. Martin Magnum are reliable units, I'd go for a standard Fog machine rather than Hazers which need to be primed and treated if they are to be unused for more than 7 days. Hazers also more expensive too.

Many hotels (as in MOST) will be in your ear all night because unfortunately they do trigger smoke alarms. You have to contend with the night manager throwing a hissy fit quite regularly.

Fluid is dirt cheap and last ages, any of the 5L cans on Music Store will be fine for fogmachines, haze machines need special haze fluid tho. One smoke machine is plenty for a stage or dancefloor, although a small unit may not cover both equally. This is where you can look at higher power machines if you need to. You wont need any special controller other than t he one that comes with the machine, usually these are just corded and have a single button on them, more expensive units have timers and stuff but it's not essential.

Regarding affecting Vocalists - this is a funny one. No, it shouldn't scientifically affect a Singer's voice, but if they get clouded in smoke and get distracted or cant reach a high note, then they're more likely to blame the machine. So, in essence, it does have an 'effect', this is an undeniable truth. Singers also complain about 'dry throat', so the trick is to use it sparingly.

As for fog getting into Speakers, well that's just a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

dav nagle wrote: »
    Hey friend I think this thread you posted might not belong on this forum, check with the moderators.
    Dude I'd say this is as relevant as the countless expensive studio micrphone threads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Its for equipment, if you feel theres another forum better suited, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

dav nagle wrote: »

Music Production, would cover putting on a show. :rolleyes:

Ah great rolly eye is back.

As for what savman said all is true.

150euro can get you a great smoke machine. I've used 5lt in the last year, but those pesky Hotel Managers can ruin it for you :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Savman wrote: »
    Whoah steady on. Martin Magnum are reliable units, I'd go for a standard Fog machine rather than Hazers which need to be primed and treated if they are to be unused for more than 7 days. Hazers also more expensive too..
    Smokers and Hazers are two entirely different machines, one produces a thick visible smoke effect while the other produces a milder enhancement for gobos, lasers and stage washes. (Although smoke will enhance lights as well) Most venues such as hotels will not accept smoke machines i.e. Martin / Gem Magnum 500, 650, 800 or 2000 Pro because they interfere with smoke alarms and are often irritant to patrons. I would tend to confine these to marquees and out door venues. The Gem/ Martin Technohaze would be suitable for hotel and indoor use. When using haze you have to be very careful regulating the machine.

Regarding the machines I would only recommend Martin / Gem (they are all the one) Some of the smoke machines sold in Maplin and other places are only suitable for the bedroom DJ. I.e. their output is pathetic and they are impossible to regulate. Some of the cheaper machines may not have a stat and could burn out the heater block if they run dry. Martin make low budget machines ie Magnum 650 for about e100 plus post which is excellent value. Nial O Conner in Aquarius Sound & Lighting is an agent for Martin. http://www.aquariussound.ie/

I would only recommend using GEM / Martin fluid in any of these machines because the cheaper fluid will eventually block up /corrode and damage the machine. Depends on how your machine is regulated and how often you use it, you could easily use up to 1/2 a gallon of fluid in one night.

As regards this post being in the wrong forum. F.X is just as important to music production as audio unless you don't intend going live on stage.

Advertisement