Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Question for simple answer

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

My computer works fine when i set it up outside the case.

It freezes randomly when inserted inside the case. (same connections as outside)

Does this mean that the freezing is caused by the motherboard contacting off the case somewhere? If so where are the likely points?? And if not what else could be causing this freezing at random places. (even in bios and just before bios) I can only get as far as windows and it freezes there immediately usually.

Have tried putting it in and out the case a few times with the same results.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

the possabilities are ....

the mobo is shorting off the case as u said already. if u cant find where its shorting u could try lining underneath the mobo with an antistatic bag.

the mobo is damaged and slightly stressed when u tighten down the screws in the case. try it with the screws losened.

the cooling in your case is insufficient but this is unlikely as the issue shows up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

tnx.

Never thought of the screws. will give that at go.

no luck with that anyway.

Its so strange really. I cant see any bit of the mobo that can be contacting with the case. I raised it up using card and also tried with anti static material but still it freezes randomly. I even tried lifting hdd and other peripherals outside the case but it does seem to be something related to the mobo.

After all these attempts i once again set it up outside the case and works perfectly:(

baffled i am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

In the absence of other logical explainations magic is the only sane conclusion.

Remove the IO Shield and try putting the motherboard bag inside the case, dont screw it down. See if that works.
    Then put the IO Shield back on, see if still works.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    no luck with that anyway.

Its so strange really. I cant see any bit of the mobo that can be contacting with the case. I raised it up using card and also tried with anti static material but still it freezes randomly. I even tried lifting hdd and other peripherals outside the case but it does seem to be something related to the mobo.

After all these attempts i once again set it up outside the case and works perfectly:(

baffled i am?

i think your best bet is to send back the mobo at this stage. it sounds like a track on the mobo becomes slightly stressed when u lock it down in the case, bad luck...

• Advertisement

Just came back after a bit of a holiday there and thought i would give the computer another go.

Set it up outside the case and it works "beautifully" with my lovely graphics card and powerful sexy cpu.

Put it in the case and freeze freeze freeze. Sometimes when i am in bios and sometimes just when windows boots. Always freezes within 20secs though.

Tried lining under the board with anti static bag.
    Tried booting board without screws inserted.
    Tried without i/o plate.
    Tried without some of those brass screw things that go into the case before the screws go in.Alternated them and all.

What could be the cause of this.

Could there be some kind of electromagnetic field being emmitted off the metal of the case?:(

If i were to take a final guess i would say that the graphics card when Slotted in is contacting at the very base of the case thus shorting it. But it really seems unlikely as that would mean a major flaw in the graphics card design or the case.it jus seems unlikely.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys before?

So now i am convinced it must be the motherboard. Tried the graphics card out in a similar case and it worked fine with no shorting off anything.

I Now believe the standoffs are the culprit. I did however try mounting the mobo on an anti static bag in the case (as in mobo was not touching the standoffs at all) and it still shorted. What else could the problem be though if not those small brass standoffs?

>Is there a type of screw that should not be used when inserting the mobo?
    >Would a washer between the mobo and stand off be a good next step or a waste of time?
    >Could the psu when inserted into the case cause a short but not when set up outside the case?

aye aye aye.....i need some external wisdom please.

>Could the psu when inserted into the case cause a short but not when set up outside the case?

aye aye aye.....i need some external wisdom please.

this is possible although highly unlikely. u could test this easily enuf by taking the psu out of the case and leave the rest in.
    i still think its more likely a mobo problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

I wouldnt have the motherboard touching the anti-static bag and apply power to it. Some of those bags can be ever so slightly conductive and cause problem. The best way is cardboard or timber (for outside the case :p). When its in the case, quickly try and get to the hardware monitor section and see what temperatures the BIOS is reporting. If all that fails could just be a stressed track as has been said already. Also, what components do you have?

thanks guys for the advice again:)

I have an 8800gts graphics card, abit fatality fp-in9 mobo, 200g sata plugged in, zalman cp somethin fan and 650 watt hyper psu (its a good one).

So once again it all works outside the case on card. When everything in the case it freezes/shorts.

I tried setting psu up outside (plus the hdd) while mobo was in but same problem.

The temps are reading normal on the board.

I tried putting the card board in the case also under the mobo covering the whole base but same problem.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the graphics cards pci ex slot.
    Since the only component that touches off the case in anyway is the graphics card (the I/O side of it) then maybe the pci slot is a bit sensitive to the card touching off the case??

I tried using a similar graphics card in that slot and it freezes also.

Is the font part of a graphics card cunductive?? I really dont see how it is the cause though.

What else could stress the motherboard inside a case? Especially when i have no screws in or anything and the problem still happens.

What i might try today is cover the front of the card in masking tape and see if it stops the freezing or is there any point in doing that?

• Advertisement

What i might try today is cover the front of the card in masking tape and see if it stops the freezing or is there any point in doing that?

no, u have covered this already :D

try booting with the absolute minimum amount of components connected. psu mobo HDD 1stick ram and onboard graphics. if this is successfull add components one by one.

are the psu connections to each device identical in and out of the box?

its possible your case is picking up a voltage from a component. u could verify this by checking the voltage between a radiator(in the room) and your case. it should read less than 1 volt.

make sure the plug on your power lead has the ground wire connected.

he he, yeah i'm clutching at straws and losing my marbles.:eek:

All i have is the minimum components connected and the same ones as when i set up outside.Everything is the same even the psu connections going to the board.

It is a big psu and there are loads of molex and extra 6pin pci connections but they all work as i have tried outside the case.

If the case was picking up a voltage what component (or part of the mobo) would be interfered with??

Besides i have tried another case with the same set up and it still freezes.

I have tried insulating the board from the case so that should rule out shorting from the case no?

Its really really weird. I am actually willing to send someone the board to have a go. I ordered another board there (different make:D) so i am not worried about sending it off. I just really need a solution or i wont get to sleep:(

Advertisement