Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help ! I know nothin about insulation!

• 18-06-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Guys

Just joined and looking for some advice on insulation. House in 1940's mid terrace in Dublin. I have fibre glass insulation in roof, but wonder if there is something better to use? Also, I understand that house is cavity brick so unsuited to filling and, from what I have read on this site composite plasterboard is the best for wall insulation. But..... can anyone recommend where to get this and also do I need to have a vapour sheet as well ?

Many thanks for all the info I got already from the site

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 save energy

2 or 3 foot of mineral wool on vapour check membrane with builders paper between layers, insulated air sealed trap door, eaves ventilator, air tested on completion should take at least 25% off heating bills, best advice is to get an audit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

2 or 3 foot? thats crazy. if you want a quick fix you can get easier insulation systems from b+q. have rolls that you can roll out over existing insulation. thats a cheap alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 save energy

maybe you're right, do B+Q do heat pumps too

B+Q i reckon dont do heat pumps bit complex?? they might supply the piping and all but prob not the pump and control unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Dry line the existing walls with foil backed high-density insulation, if you can afford to replaster interior. (Tape and fill) Otherwise highly insulate your attic to off set heat loss thru walls.
    Nothing wrong with B&Q, excellent range of insulation rolls, at very competitive prices.
    They provide cavity blow in insulation in UK at ridiculously low prices (about £300 per semi in UK as opposed to €1200 per semi here!)

Most Retail stores provide tips in store.
    [FONT=&quot]Consider triple glazed windows, high efficient boiler etc when you’re existing ones need to be replaced.
    Other technologies may become cheaper in the future. We'll wait and see.
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

dont get me wrong you could build a house from b+q. and the staff actually seem to know what they are talking about. excellent store. leaps and bounds above the likes of atlantic and woodies and more approchable but slighlty more expensive than a providers. you would be amazed with draught excluders and attic insulation can do.

you ave to offset the price against the overall benefits of the insulation.

drylining great idea. does take space off a room though. easily dont and you get brand new walls afterwards. can be messy so if you getting new floor would advise you to get these done after drylining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 horusd

Thanks everyone for your time and help, ill get the add'l rolls of insulation from B&Q and I will have the walls done as I am in the process of redecorating anyhow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi - when you're drylining the walls remember that you have to seal around sockets, switches etc. otherwise it's a bit pointless putting it in. I've found the best method is to take off the pattress, seal any gap between the insulation and the wall with low-expansion foam, cut to square, add a wooden block to bring the box up near to wall level, make that good and then put the socket back on - I've also added draught excluder tape as a gasket on the socket. Our walls were skimmed BTW, not taped.

Obviously consult a sparks if you're not comfortable doing this, could also be a good opportunity to put in extra sockets etc. as you'll be making a mess anyway. You'll need to chase the walls as you can't chase the insulation.

SSE

Advertisement