Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€12,000 off the last of the Forester 2.5XTs

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'd been planning on buying a 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5XT auto in the UK, it would have ended up costing me €24,500 landed. Went into Castle Subaru in Bray yesterday, it turns out they're having a big push to clear out the last of the run-out model before July 1st when they go to 36% VRT/€2,000 road tax. The cars are listed at €46,695 for the 2.5XT SportShift (auto) with leather & metallic, cash price is now €34,800.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

25% discount. Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yet another example of the s/h prices of a particular model being decimated because of the the CO2 rules. In fairness Subaru have little choice. Lucky for them the diesel is being rolled out but they will need different versions of that enbgine with more bhp. I've also read there are moves to improve efficencies of the petrols.

Have to own a Scooby at some stage (maybe soon;))

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I took one for a spin - i'm still smiling! The way the thing looks makes it even more fun than it is already.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pburns wrote: »
    Yet another example of the s/h prices of a particular model being decimated because of the the CO2 rules. In fairness Subaru have little choice. Lucky for them the diesel is being rolled out but they will need different versions of that enbgine with more bhp. I've also read there are moves to improve efficencies of the petrols.

Have to own a Scooby at some stage (maybe soon;))

pretty sure these are brand new prices the OP is talking about, not second hand. Good deal OP and great price.

I'd still be a little concerned about the depreciation on them though, new model already launched and terrible fuel consumption. Would still say it would be difficult to sell on in a coupe of years. Great car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

tats a lot of car for little money if u have the funds man id go for it ull kick yourself after if u dont plus as an added bonus ull have 2 or 3 years guarantee wit it something u wont have wit the one from england

That's a lot of car for little money, if you have the funds. Man I'd go for it. You'll kick yourself after if you don't plus as an added bonus you'll have 2 or 3 years guarantee with it, something you won't have with the one from England

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    pretty sure these are brand new prices the OP is talking about, not second hand. Good deal OP and great price.
    Brand new & unregistered (although built in 2007).
    I'd still be a little concerned about the depreciation on them though, new model already launched and terrible fuel consumption. Would still say it would be difficult to sell on in a coupe of years. Great car though.
    Me too a bit, although the plan would be to keep it for ever.

s14driftking, I reckon you're right.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Brand new & unregistered (although built in 2007).

Me too a bit, although the plan would be to keep it for ever.

s14driftking, I reckon you're right.:)

well let us know what happens, was having a very close look at these myself a while back, great car. I just couldn't get on with the looks...

I'd still be a little concerned about the depreciation on them though, new model already launched and terrible fuel consumption. Would still say it would be difficult to sell on in a coupe of years

I wouldn't worry about that at all. OP is hanging on to the car. And with the discount, it's smashing value for money in the first place. Secondly, Subaru will barely sell any new ones after the first of July because of VRT and mainly tax, making the cars even rarer and more desirable as such. Thirdly, imported newish ones ('08 and later) will also be subject to the €2,000 road tax

Summary: buying a brand new Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol at the last moment is one of the nicest ways to show Gormless the two fingers :D

Maybe, but you never know when you might have to sell a car for any number of reasons. IMO, people will be looking at 08/09s in 2-3 years and only looking for new models with the diesel. Great car though...

Maybe, but you never know when you might have to sell a car for any number of reasons

Maybe, but you never know when (errr, I mean if) you might be hit by a bus. That defeatist argument is best left to the defeatists ;)

In the meantime, the new Subaru at a serious discount seems a really interesting proposition...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe, but you never know when (errr, I mean if) you might be hit by a bus. That defeatist argument is best left to the defeatists ;)

In the meantime, the new Subaru at a serious discount seems a really interesting proposition...

yeah, but saying we are gonna keep it forever is what we all say when we spend a bit too much on a car, the we don't keep it for more than a couple of years, never mind forever!

Well, it's done! I've put down a deposit, car will be ready for delivery at the end of next week. I thought long & hard, and came to the conclusion that no other car can offer the blend of useful attributes that the Forester can, certainly not at that price. Safety is a big thing for me (gf will be the main driver) and, although never NCAP tested in Europe, the Forester has scored very highly in US & Australian crash tests. It also has ESP and xenon headlights. The only thing more reliable appears to be an Accord, and that won't cross a muddy field. I don't tend to keep cars for long, but she does, and I can't really think of another option that will wear the years better. I put a lot of thought into what copacetic said and, if it were any other car, I think i'd agree. Having owned a Forester before though, I really think that this one will be a keeper. It had better be, there'll be no new clothes or pints for me for the next while...

Well, it's done! I've put down a deposit, car will be ready for delivery at the end of next week. I thought long & hard, and came to the conclusion that no other car can offer the blend of useful attributes that the Forester can, certainly not at that price. Safety is a big thing for me (gf will be the main driver) and, although never NCAP tested in Europe, the Forester has scored very highly in US & Australian crash tests. It also has ESP and xenon headlights. The only thing more reliable appears to be an Accord, and that won't cross a muddy field. I don't tend to keep cars for long, but she does, and I can't really think of another option that will wear the years better. I put a lot of thought into what copacetic said and, if it were any other car, I think i'd agree. Having owned a Forester before though, I really think that this one will be a keeper. It had better be, there'll be no new clothes or pints for me for the next while...

nice one man, its a lovely car and I'm sure you won't regret it, hope you didn't mind me giving the consevative viewpoint. If it was me I'm sure I would have ended up putting the money down as well. What colour leather and metallic? Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Nice one. And you can also play Traffic Cop with boy racers and fat cats as an added bonus.

Good luck with it.

nice one man, its a lovely car and I'm sure you won't regret it, hope you didn't mind me giving the consevative viewpoint. If it was me I'm sure I would have ended up putting the money down as well. What colour leather and metallic? Pics?
    On the contrary, I appreciated your input. Any big purchase needs to be carefully examined from all angles. No pics yet,as I won't have until the end of nest week. There were only three colours left, blue, red and platinum, all with beige leather. I chose platinum (it's really more of a beige met.) as the one which will hide the inevitable scratches and marks best. It also makes the car both very visible (literally) and pretty-much invisible (as in unremarkable), which I like. I would have preferred black leather, but there was no choice. The gf prefers beige though, and it does make the car more airy inside.

Thanks TomMc, avoiding the real traffic cops might have to come first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

i drove one before - they're nice! the comment about the how the looks merely add to the fun? +1

its always nice to know that you can out-drag any car around you.. ahh.. for safety!

Identical. She won't be winning any beauty contests...
    geoff29 wrote: »
    i drove one before - they're nice! the comment about the how the looks merely add to the fun? +1

its always nice to know that you can out-drag any car around you.. ahh.. for safety!
    From a review: "It may look tall and boxy, but the flat-four engine gives a surprisingly low centre of gravity, which makes it much more agile. It will lean a fair bit through corners, but only when it's going very quickly, by which point unsuspecting passengers should be mute with terror.":)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

I've always had a soft spot for the Foresters, (the Legacy is one that also springs to mind) maybe because of the looks, but also knowing you're getting a damn fine car. Best of luck and happy motoring with it :)

She won't be winning any beauty contests...

Is that the Forester or your gf?;):)

Were you not tempted by the prospect of a diesel engine in the newer model (presumably next year)? Less tax, VRT, probably better resale etc...

Actually I prefer your version, not sure I like the new one. AFAIK it's a good bit taller. The beauty of the Forester was always that it was a 'low-slung' SUV rather than a yummy-mummy wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Were you not tempted by the prospect of a diesel engine in the newer model (presumably next year)? Less tax, VRT, probably better resale etc...

What I've seen of the new model, it won't appeal to fans of the current Forester. They should rename it the Subaru Mainstream.

Is that the Forester or your gf?;):)

Actually I prefer your version, not sure I like the new one. AFAIK it's a good bit taller. The beauty of the Forester was always that it was a 'low-slung' SUV rather than a yummy-mummy wagon.
    Pretty much what you said - apart from the first bit! I'd see the current one as a jacked-up AWD estate car rather than an SUV. Plus, the new one isn't getting such great reviews. I've searched in vain for a reviewer (or, more importantly, owner) who didn't love the run-out model.

Nice one. Good luck with it!

Thanks.:)

Plus, the new one isn't getting such great reviews. I've searched in vain for a reviewer (or, more importantly, owner) who didn't love the run-out model.

That's one reason why I'm veering towards buyin' a Legacy - in case they **** up the the model due next year! Subaru are unpredictable...

Best of luck with it BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What. A. Bargain. Good luck and well wear OP.

@pburns: the Legacy diesel makes it in for under €30k. Another car that is very good value for money. I somehow don't think Anan1 like paraffin stoves - see my sig:D!(and who can blame him)

I'd say the Subaru dealers are dreading all their existing customers turning up trading in the thirsty petrols for the models with the new Boxer diesel engine:)!

E92 wrote: »
    I'd say the Subaru dealers are dreading all their existing customers turning up trading in the thirsty petrols for the models with the new Boxer diesel engine:)!

Funny you should say that...

One dealer was quite open about the fact that he'd be happy to take my trade in because if he's trying to avoid having a yardful of 2.5 petrols that won't sell...

Subaru dealers would be much better off getting conquest sales because in all liklihood the car traded in will be better economy-wise than a petrol Subaru. Plus they'll be building a wider customer base. (Although that policy would probably be a bit short-sighted in the long run - abandoning their loyal Subaru customers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scab-e

Congrats on your big bargain- buuut,

Why was this car so expensive to start with?
    this is their price current list:
    2.0 M/T 33595
    2.0 A/T 35445
    2.5 XT M/T 43595
    2.5 XT Sportshift 46695

Why was it 10 grand extra for a 2.5 compared to a 2.0? Leather costs maybe 2500.

Also, in the past you gave out yards about SUVs. You characterised them as dangerous, their drivers as inconsiderate and I think you even said that SUVs were less fun to drive and handle worse than a car. What happened? Did you have a conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

scab-e wrote: »
    Why was it 10 grand extra for a 2.5 compared to a 2.0? Leather costs maybe 2500.

Ever heard about VRT? That would have been a large chunk of the 10k

• Advertisement

I assume it's the extra equipment, the extra cost of a 2.5 turbo engine as opposed to a 2.0 NA, tax, etc etc.
    Also, in the past you gave out yards about SUVs. You characterised them as dangerous, their drivers as inconsiderate and I think you even said that SUVs were less fun to drive and handle worse than a car. What happened? Did you have a conversion?
    Absolutely not, I still hate SUVs that are bought purely for show. But the run-out Forester isn't an SUV. From what I can gather, it's an Impreza WRX estate with extra ground clearance.;)

Advertisement