Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the father in "The Road" - Spoiler's ahead

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I had this in films, belongs more in lit tho.

Did anyone think the father character was considerably flawed?

He made no attempt to help anybody else trough out the book.

He didn’t try free the people from the cannibals house. He didn't even consider coming back a day later. He didnt check if the other little boy his son seen was being looked after. the only time he helped anyone, such as the dog or old man, was after considerable pushing from his son.

He took all the thief’s clothes and probably let him freeze to death, even tho he would have done no different himself.

At the end of the book, I thought the boy was better off with the shot gun slinger fello and he religious wife.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, one of the points of the story is that when the survival instinct gets that much of a grip on you, to hell with anyone else. I suppose one becomes selfish. Ditto the bond between a parent and child. I don't think the father was flawed at all. I think he was a man in desperate circumstances driven to being that bit more ruthless for the sake of himself and, more importantly, the sake of his son.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I think modern notions of decency are pretty meaningless in the post-apocalyptic world that McCarthy depicts. I mean there was cannibals roaming the street ffs, the fact that the father cared about anyone at all made him a saint. And prior to the end it was questionable whether there was any good people left.

He was dying and he didn't believe his son could survive for a second without him, there was no hope, no where to go, all he could do was protect his son for as long as he could. It's such a hopeless scenario but it's what makes the book so brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

His one goal was to keep his son alive, and to do that he needed to feed him and keep him safe.

Stopping to help every stricken stranger en route might seem honourable, but would no doubt just become a millstone around their necks. And sooner or later someone they helped would kill them in their sleep and worse. The man knew this, the child in his innocence couldn't understand it.
    oxygen wrote:
    He took all the thief’s clothes and probably let him freeze to death, even tho he would have done no different himself.
    Would he have stolen everything belonging to a stranger who had left it untended? There's a difference between not helping someone with something you have, and stealing everything that someone has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Dades wrote: »
    His one goal was to keep his son alive, and to do that he needed to feed him and keep him safe.

Stopping to help every stricken stranger en route might seem honourable, but would no doubt just become a millstone around their necks. And sooner or later someone they helped would kill them in their sleep and worse. The man knew this, the child in his innocence couldn't understand it.Would he have stolen everything belonging to a stranger who had left it untended? There's a difference between not helping someone with something you have, and stealing everything that someone has.

I personally thought it was never certain that the people who built the bunker were dead. Also, iirc, he took allot of the clothes and food he found in the cannibals house. While I agree, certainly nothing as extreme as stealing's someones abandoned posestions (the thief wasnt trailing them, he just came across the trolly on the beach) it didn't warrant certain death. As the thief said "You would have done it yourself". The father was very commited to keeping his son alive, and sometimes at the expense of other.

oxygen wrote: »
    I personally thought it was never certain that the people who built the bunker were dead.
    The bunker had clearly never been opened since the 'apocalypse' or whatever. If the owners were still alive the place would have been cleaned out.
    Also, iirc, he took allot of the clothes and food he found in the cannibals house.
    The clothes had already been taken from the cannibals, and they were locked in the 'larder' awaiting their fate. There was nothing to be gained by leaving the stuff there for the psychos who ran the place.
    The father was very commited to keeping his son alive, and sometimes at the expense of other.
    But he never proactively took something from another innocent. He may be guilty of inaction, but that is only understandable given the sparsity of supplies.

What was supposed to have happened to the world, anyway? :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    The clothes had already been taken from the cannibals, and they were locked in the 'larder' awaiting their fate. There was nothing to be gained by leaving the stuff there for the psychos who ran the place.

But he never proactively took something from another innocent. He may be guilty of inaction, but that is only understandable given the sparsity of supplies.

What was supposed to have happened to the world, anyway? :)

Ill agree with you on most of that. When he went into the house he didn't know about the cannibals, it could have been a refugee center for all he knew.

What happened to the world was never specified, in the book, or by the author.

But its kinda creepy, when he got to the ocean, which was his aim for the whole book, there was a wall of smog covering the entire view of the horizon.

In my opinion it was an massive environmental accident. All the filth, smog, ash. And there was no fuel. Also there was no radiation poisoning, and no invading forces. Also him and his wife watched distant cities burn

Yeah, I don't think the type of disaster was of any relevance. That wasn't the point - the focus was on the aftermath and if the world is practically wiped out, what does it matter what caused it if you're one of the misfortunate survivors. The focus of the story, imo, was survival and the bond between a parent and child.
    I doubt it was a nuclear strike too, as there was indeed no mention of poisons in the atmosphere. Although they did wear masks, but still, if there was a lot of radiation, there would surely have been at least a mention in passing.
    Yup, ecological/meteorological I think...

Ew, I feel a bit down thinking about that book. I love post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction but I found that particularly tough...

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think the type of disaster was of any relevance. That wasn't the point - the focus was on the aftermath and if the world is practically wiped out, what does it matter what caused it if you're one of the misfortunate survivors. The focus of the story, imo, was survival and the bond between a parent and child.
    I doubt it was a nuclear strike too, as there was indeed no mention of poisons in the atmosphere. Although they did wear masks, but still, if there was a lot of radiation, there would surely have been at least a mention in passing.
    Yup, ecological/meteorological I think...

Ew, I feel a bit down thinking about that book. I love post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction but I found that particularly tough...

Yea, its depressingly realistic. Apparently the movie has a realistic look about it too, stuffing jackets with garbage and the like The one part of the book where I had to put it down and take a break was the cannibals house. That was a creepy creepy part

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know there a spoiler in this tread, so hope this is OK.... i think the saddest part in the book is when they come across the people cooking the baby .. i think the father does his best and is maybe a bit of a week character...who is in the film and when is it coming out dose anyone know

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know there a spoiler in this tread, so hope this is OK.... i think the saddest part in the book is when they come across the people cooking the baby .. i think the father does his best and is maybe a bit of a week character...who is in the film and when is it coming out dose anyone know

Yea, that part was rough. Especially, when the kid hadn't spoke for a couple of hours after, the father wondered if he would even speak again.

Viggo Mortison is playing the father in the film. In my opinion I would have preferred a more middle aged, middle of the road actor for the father. Still tho, cant argue with his acting credits. I dont think the film will be anytime soon

• Advertisement

I think Mortensen's ideal for the role. He's 50, not exactly a youngster any more. The man in the book struck me as being only in the first half of his 40s, if not younger.

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Mortenson's ideal for the role. He's 50, not exactly a youngster any more. The man in the book struck me as being only in the first half of his 40s, if not younger.

Yea, but the father from the book seemed to be a guy that could be living 3 doors down the street from you. Just a Joe Soap. I dont think Vigo has that quality enough. Granted playing a mythical warrior king, and a russian mafia hit man dont help. But even in A History of Violence for example, you could always see that he wasn't just going to be a regular guy, he turned out to be an assassin.

Ignore this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I read it last night in about two hours and now I think that was a mistake to race through it. I missed the baby cooking somewhere and I didn't realise that the peple in the cellar were going to be eaten. I'll have to read it again but it was so depressing.

Yeah, I dashed through it too. I think it was because I just wanted to get it over with, it was that tough-going.

Yea, its a quick read. he glazes over alot of the serious parts.

The people in the house were going to be eating since the guy on the floor had no arms or legs, they were slowly eating them, keeping them alive as a sort of a keep fresh method. The people they werent currently eating were chained to the wall. Was horrible when they were crying out for help, and he had to run, since the cannibals were coming back across the field.

Also a day before the baby was killed, the father saw two men and a pregnant woman (presummably the mother) walking the road, and took some strength from the fact that there were other people who were trying to carry on like him, it must have been tough on him when he say they killed the baby.

Its a tough book all right, makes you think long after it tho

I remember the guy with no legs but not the pregnant woman. God awful scenario. I won't be going to see the film.

Found the pregnant woman and the baby. Ugh.

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Found the pregnant woman and the baby. Ugh.

Ahh crap, did you miss it first time. You could have lived in blissful ignorance, sorry about that. I remember after the cannibals house scene I had to put the book away for a little bit

Its a hard hitting book, in a way its a relief from Mad Max-y type apocalypse type movies (I know its a book). Still there are parts that stay with you/

What I disliked about it was that there was no hope in the book at all that I could find. Ok at the end the boy might have been saved but who knows. Maybe the two who saved him were cannibals too. I liked the sense of mystery not knowing what had caused the holocaust. Also it might have been set anywhere. I don't think it's neccessarily the States. Added to it I thought.

• Advertisement

What I disliked about it was that there was no hope in the book at all that I could find. Ok at the end the boy might have been saved but who knows. Maybe the two who saved him were cannibals too. I liked the sense of mystery not knowing what had caused the holocaust. Also it might have been set anywhere. I don't think it's neccessarily the States. Added to it I thought.

Yea, its a little hazy about where its set. Errie considering John Mc Cormac is quite open about stating that it was in the west of Ireland that he fleshed out the details of the story, and that Ireland's baroness was an inspiration to him.

Throughout the book I had in mind that the author was not particullarly science fictiony, and that this book could have been based in current day political climates, such as Rwandan refugees, or tsunami survivors etc.

Yea, its a little hazy about where its set. Errie considering John Mc Cormac is quite open about stating that it was in the west of Ireland that he fleshed out the details of the story, and that Ireland's baroness was an inspiration to him.
    I didn't know that - interesting.

I think Viggo Mortensen is a great choice btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: the geography I'm sure I read somewhere that El Paso in Texas was McCarthy's inspiration for the novel. Also isn't there a part in the book where they find Spanish writing? It's still open to interpretation but I suspect McCarthy was thinking of the Texas/Mexico border region, the same place most of his novels are set.

Re: the geography I'm sure I read somewhere that El Paso in Texas was McCarthy's inspiration for the novel. Also isn't there a part in the book where they find Spanish writing? It's still open to interpretation but I suspect McCarthy was thinking of the Texas/Mexico border region, the same place most of his novels are set.

Yea, according to his interview with Oprah (he is a bad interview btw) he did get the idea when in El Paso with his son. He didnt start working on it tho until he was Ireland some time later. I thought it was fairly clear from the book, that he started off in Northern America, and walked to South America with his son, hoping for warmer weather down south. It gradually dawned on him that it wasnt getting any warmer as they went.

Speaking of good parts to the book, what got me was when he said him and hit son were exausted, and when walking on the road, they would wake up sprawled out on the road, unintentionally having fallen asleep when they were walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My obligatory Cormac McCarthy thread post:
    I don't think the father was flawed in any unrealistic sense. After reading the book I sat and thought seriously about what would I do in that situation. And I came to no conclusions. I'd like to think I would play by the old rules, looking out for people and not being one of the bad guys but how realistic is that? Who's to say that faced with certain death that they wouldn't act like the people who ate the baby or the cannibals, let alone the father.

What I disliked about it was that there was no hope in the book at all that I could find.
    But when mankind is pretty much wiped out, how can there be hope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Reynolds.irl

The father mentioned that there might be other people out there "carrying the fire" and the boy mentioned that there could be another father and son doing what they were doing, I kind of found a little comfort in that but only a little.

All so did anybody else think that maybe the father might have helped if he had more than two bullets for the gun? He never hesitated when the son had a knife to his throat and knew that, in his condition, the last bullet was going to be used sooner or later. He was a good father I reckon, but his son came first and he had to protect him continentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Yea, its a quick read. he glazes over alot of the serious parts.

Also a day before the baby was killed, the father saw two men and a pregnant woman (presummably the mother) walking the road, and took some strength from the fact that there were other people who were trying to carry on like him, it must have been tough on him when he say they killed the baby.

definitly the tougest part of the book,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

One part I could.nt understand was when they saw the "army" going past all wearing some kind of red uniform and also with pregnant women and "slaves" , maybe he was trying to suggest in a new world order where hierarchies always establish themselves , and why did.nt they stay longer in the bunker when he had the place well camoflagued

• Advertisement

meldrew wrote: »
    One part I could.nt understand was when they saw the "army" going past all wearing some kind of red uniform and also with pregnant women and "slaves" , maybe he was trying to suggest in a new world order where hierarchies always establish themselves , and why did.nt they stay longer in the bunker when he had the place well camoflagued

I cant remember where he said they were wearing uniforms, but I presummed they were just guy's with trucks who went to the next town over and took a load of slaves, men and women. It was like the guys who lived in the house eating the ppl, they werent an army per say, just crowds of cannibals or whatever. I didnt personally think it was a new world order, you make a good point, maybe it was an army in its infancy or something.

Yea, I wanted to stay in the bunker as well, it was the one comfortable part of the book. But it was originally burried in the ground in the garden close to the road (they were going to the road when they passed over it). They had to dig it up. When they were down there, the door was exposed in the garden. When they were down there, it was quite visable. The father tried to cover it up with a matress when they were in there, but that could be lifted if someone tried to nick it. You wouldnt want to be trapped in a bunker like that if those afore mentioned guys showed up.

Advertisement