Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut Up and Squat!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Hugh Mongus

Wednesday 23rd July - Extra Day for Back Work

Warm up: lat pull down 35 x 3 x 10 and some stretches

Chins:
    BW x 12, 8, 7

T-Bar Row:
    Bar x 1 x 10
    40 x 1 x 10
    80 x 3 x 10

DB Row:
    26kg x 2 x 12

Seated Incline DB Hammer Curl:
    18kg x 3 x 6

Thoughts: T'was nice to get a bit of extra back work done. I feel it's my weak point so will probably do something similar to this every second week or so (time permitting). Threw in some bicep work also coz it's kinda mandatory and all isn't it? :p Definitely an enjoyable workout. Also, I've been told by a few of the instructors that they'll let me into the elite gym for squatting purposes. So that was a nice suprise :)

Thursday 24th July

Warm up: 1 hour walk to gym and some stretches

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    125 x 1 x 1
    137.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 4
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 2
    57.5 x 3 x 5

Powerclean:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    62.5 x 3 x 5

Thoughts: Very nice workout. Everything felt really strong and had no problems with any of my work sets - especially with regards to the squats which felt super strong. I'm pretty happy with the way things are going in the gym at the mo. Also, the football season is now over - we lost in the wildcard playoffs. This means I'll be able to focus all my attention on getting bigger and stronger. :cool:

Monday 28th July

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    115 x 1 x 2
    125 x 1 x 1
    140 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    60 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    80 x 1 x 1
    87.5 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    115 x 1 x 2
    125 x 1 x 1
    137.5 x 1 x 5

Barbell Shrugs:
    110 x 10, 8, 10

Facepulls:
    26.25 x 3 x 20

Thoughts: Chuffed with today's workout. The work sets for the squats felt lighter than my last warm up and then I just knew it was gonna be a good day. Also, my bench is starting to come together now. I'm finding the grove at the start of each rep which is quite promising. Deadlifts felt a bit heavy on the last rep but locked it out ok. As soon as I get 3 x 10 on the shrugs I'll move to 120kg. I was interested to know just how far I actually walk to the gym so I checked it out on google maps - 5.2k from my house. So that's 10.4k for each gym visit. Felt like alot more in today's heat!!!

Anyway, I hope to WILL hit 150kg 3x5 on the squat next week (a new PB). My target was to hit 150 by mid July but considering I pulled my hamstring just over 3 weeks ago I'll defo take the PB early Aug. After that, anything extra before a deload will be a bonus.

Friday 1st August

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    125 x 1 x 1
    142.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 4
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 2
    60 x 2 x 5 |*P*|
    60 x 1 x 4 |*B*|

Powerclean:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    65 x 3 x 5

Thoughts: A solid day's training. Took an extra day off from Monday's workout due to a lot of hamstring soreness - didn't want to take any chances. 1st work set of the squat felt kinda heavy but the next 2 sets were grand. Can't wait to hit the PB next week coz I know I defo have another good 10kg+ in me for 3x5. The military press was quite funny. The first two work sets were extremely fast and strong but the last rep on the final set was a fail. I had it 2/3 of the way up for about 5 secs then I just looked in the mirror and burst out laughing as I realised it was never gonna happen. Powercleans were fine.

I'm gonna hit the gym for some extra back work tomorrow and that's why I didn't do chins or facepulls today. Also, I'm definitely starting to feel the strain of squatting 3x per week with this kind of weight. Will wait til I hit the PB next week and then I'll decide whether to sub in front squats for back squats on the 2nd day of the week. Obviously depends on how tough 150kg 3x5 feels.

Saturday 2nd August - Extra Day for Back Work

Warm up: lat pull down 35 x 3 x 10 and some stretches

Chins:
    BW x 12, 8, 6

T-Bar Row:
    Bar x 1 x 10
    40 x 1 x 10
    82.5 x 3 x 10

Good Mornings:
    20kg x 1 x 10
    25kg x 1 x 10
    30kg x 2 x 10

DB Row:
    28kg x 3 x 12

Seated Incline DB Hammer Curl:
    18kg x 3 x 6

supersetted with

Tricep Pulldown:
    28.75kg x 3 x 10

Thoughts: Easy enough session. Threw in some good mornings for the first time and I like them so I'll be upping the weight over the next few weeks. I'd rather do skullcrushers/dips than the tricep pulldown but my shoulder is still recovering from a knock I took in training about 2 months ago. It shouldn't be too long now before it's fully healed. I still think my back strength sucks so I'll keep adding in this extra session for the next few weeks and then re-evaluate. Feel kinda tired now so gonna get a good nights sleep before a tough gym day tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Sunday 3rd August

Warm up: Some mobility drills and a few stretches

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    145 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    60 x 1 x 3
    70 x 1 x 2
    80 x 1 x 1
    90 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    140 x 1 x 5

Barbell Shrugs:
    110 x 12, 10, 10

Facepulls:
    28.75 x 3 x 20

Thoughts: A tough day under the bar but well worth the effort. My squatting is starting to suprise me. I really thought it would be hard today but the work sets felt great and were quite fast. I'm delighted with my bench as well - coming quite close to a PB with that too. Even my deadlift felt good today. I absolutely ripped the bar off the floor during my work set. I'm totally shattered now but I'm very very happy with the way things are progressing. Long may it continue :)

Body Measurements (inches) - 27/06/08

Neck - 15.25
    Shoulders - 48
    Biceps - 14.5(l) 15(r)
    Forearms - 12 (l&r)
    Wrist - 6.75 (l&r)
    Chest - 40
    Waist - 34
    Hip - 39
    Thighs - 24.5(l) 25(r)
    Calves - 15(l) 15.25(r)
    Ankles - 9(l&r)

Body Measurements (inches) - 05/08/08

Neck - 15.75 (+ .5)

Biceps - 15(l) 15.5(r) (+ .5 (l&r))

Forearms - 12.5(l) 13.25 (r) (+ .5 (l) + 1.25 (r))

Wrist - 6.75 (l&r) (N/C)

Chest - 40.5 ( + .5)

Waist - 34.25 ( + .25)

Hips - 39.5 ( + .5)

Thighs - 25.25(l) 25.75(r) (+ .75 (l&r))

Calves - 15.25(l) 15.5(r) ( + .25 (l&r))

Ankles - 9(l&r) (N/C)

Thoughts: Some nice symmetrical gains on most fronts. Delighted with the extra half an inch on my neck. I've done a lot of neck related work recently such as wrestler's bridge and headstand wrestler's bridge against a wall (something like this) during my warmups and it's good to know it's starting to pay off.

On a different note, something crazy went on with my forearms! At first I thought it was the way I was measuring it but I kept getting the same result ( I'm definitely measuring it the same as last time). Not too bothered with the extra .25 inch on my waist. Also, I couldn't remember how I measured my shoulders last time :o so I just left it out.

Overall, I'm pleased with the progress - barbell work FTW!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

I'm liking your journal bro, keep up the good work.

I'm liking your journal bro, keep up the good work.

Thanks mate!

Wednesday 6th August

Warm up: 5 min row, some mobility stuff, foam rolling, etc

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    147.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 4
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 2
    60 x 3 x 5 |*PB*|

Powerclean:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    67.5 x 3 x 5

Extra stuff:
    some hamstring curls
    3 one minute rounds on the punch bag
    some box jumps

Thoughts: Happy enough with the days training. As usual, my squatting got better as the work sets went on. Military press was fast and strong so I'll be upping the weight the next time. I still dont think my techique is brill for the powerclean so I won't be going mad with weight jumps. I'll try 70kg next time and see how it feels...

On a side note, my mate was with me in the gym today and I got him to bring his video camera. The 3 work sets of my squats have been taped and I'll put them up as soon as I get them off him. Probably wont be until next Sunday or maybe even next week - he doesn't have the internet :rolleyes: I watched the sets a few times after the workout and I'm pretty happy with the depth (on most of the reps) and technique. They're not perfect (whatever that is!) so there's definitely room for improvement. Also, it'll be nice for other people to give their opinions.

• Advertisement

Monday 11th August

Warm up: mobility stuff and some stretches

Front Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    60 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    60 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    85 x 1 x 2
    92.5 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    142.5 x 1 x 5

Barbell Shrugs:
    120 x 10, 10, 10

Thoughts: Back after 5 days out :( There seems to be something wrong with my knee. Nothing major but it just doesn't feel right. There is a bit of a grinding sound in the front of my right kneecap when I go past parallel in a squat. I'll probably end up heading the doctor instead of a physio because I can go for free. Maybe it's my knees giving me a hint that it's time to introduce knee wraps :confused:. Will probably try the 150kg 3x5 on Wednesday as I've put too much effort in the past few weeks just to stop at my previous PB. Obviously though if I feel any pain in my knee I'll stop.

The workout itself was fine. First time doing front squats. I hardly felt it in my legs at all and I know I can go much heavier but my shoulder flexibility is holding me back. I'm doing the front squats with a clean grip and am finding it hard to keep my elbows up. Any more weight at the mo and I know I wont be able to keep them up. Hopefully the correct position will become second nature after a few weeks.

Delighted with my bench - that equals my previous PB. Last rep was a grind but that's to be expected. Deadlift was fine as well. I should get that tape of my 147.5kg 3x5 squat tomorrow. Now only if my knee would stop being such a pain in the arse...

I thought better of it today and gave the gym a miss. My knee is still giving me problems. It's feels quite weird when I walk - bit of popping going on. Hence, I'm gonna give the squats a miss until it gets better. It would be foolish to continue the way I am. Plenty of ice and elevation for the next few days and as little walking as possible. No squats = :( but I suppose I gotta look at the bigger picture.

Also, I'm off to Florida for a theme park holiday on the 23rd of this month for 2 weeks so that should give me time off to rest it. Don't worry, I ensured that my hotel has a gym :p

Here's the much promised video of 147.5 x 3 x 5 squats done last week:

Thoughts: I definitely need to get a bit deeper (1 inch+ :confused:) - my depth got slightly worse as the sets went on. The first set was the best imo. Also, my footwear needs to be changed asap. Might see if I can get a pair of oly shoes over in the states.

The video cam is definitely a valuable tool in the weights room. It's nice to be able to see your depth and technique on video. I'm gonna invest in one soon enough - might get one of these in the US too!

Any tips/pointers/comments/criticisms are more than welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

It would be foolish to continue the way I am.

You really need to have a medical professional look at this. The knee is a joint you do not want to mess around with. Better to be safe than sorry with this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good going! Form's fairly good. You're sitting back and not breaking at the knees first, which is always good!

Is that the depth your knee hurts at? There's not much point in JUST resting it tbh... You need to address the underlying cause of the knee pain. If I were to guess, I'd say it's cos you're not squatting below parallel. Esp with the weight you're handling, there's gonna be ALOT of pressure on your knees.

RE: Squat depth, have a look at this pic http://www.isteroids.com/isteroids_newsletter_august/images/squat2.gif

I'd say you're squat's are around fig. 3 or thereabouts. From the vid, you probably need another 4-6 inches to get below parallel as per fig. 4

Hanley wrote: »
    Is that the depth your knee hurts at?

There's no pain but yeah I'd say that's my normal work set depth.
    If I were to guess, I'd say it's cos you're not squatting below parallel.

Need to fix that then. It's the first time I've been able to see my depth on video so now that I finally know what my depth is I'll certainly take them deeper. Taped my warm up sets also and they were a lot deeper. I think it's more about me being a pussy on my work sets. More pschycological than physiological :p
    you probably need another 4-6 inches to get below parallel

Cool. Comments taken on board and much appreciated. :)

Right then. Time to resurrect this thread.

I've been training on and off since my last post. Took it easy for the first few months after my knee problem and it's as good as new now. Also, I've taken a year out from american football. The goal is to strengthen my hamstrings whilst improving on the big lifts so that my injuries will be a thing of the past.

Yesterday's workout to follow...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

excellent stuff!!

Wednesday 11th March

Warm up: mobility drills, wrestler's bridge, soft tissue work

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 1
    127.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    30 x 1 x 3
    45 x 1 x 1
    55 x 3 x 5

Powerclean:
    40 x 1 x 5
    60 x 3 x 5

supersetted with

Face Pulls:
    27kg x 3 x 20

Standing Ab Rope Pulldowns:
    36kg x 3 x15

Atlantis Calf Machine:
    74kg x 1 x 15
    164kg x 3 x15

Warm Down:
    20 min static stretching

Thoughts: Squats were difficult. I'm taking them a lot deeper than in my the vid from last year. I'll be buying a video camera soon in order to have some evidence! Press was fine. Last rep on 3rd set was quite tough but that's to be expected. My powerclean form has improved greatly. However, I still need to work on getting my elbows up to the rack position in the initial phase of the movement. Hopefully, I'll stop bruising my collarbone soon.

Note: The biggest change in my routine from last year is definitely the mobility drills and soft tissue work. I invested in Eric Cressey's magnificent mobility dvd and have had no injury issues since. Can't recommend it enough.

Monday 16th March

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 1
    130 x 2 x 5
    130 x 1 x 2

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    85 x 1 x 2
    85 x 1 x 2
    80 x 2 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    140 x 1 x 5

Ab Machine:
    60 x 3 x 12

Thoughts: Not the best of days. Lucky I went tbh. Got ~3.5 hours sleep due to a long project that had to be handed in today. I'd usually never go after such little sleep but seeing as tomorrow is Paddy's day I knew it'd be the only chance I'd get until Wednesday. Ok so let's analyse...

My working sets on the squats felt heavy - really had to push myself to even get the first two sets done fully. I just didn't have the extra strength needed out of the hole today. Bench was a disaster. Tried the 85 twice but it wasn't happening tbh. Suprisingly the 10 reps at 80 had good bar speed and felt easy enough. I saved the workout from being a total catastrophe through my deadlift. Pushed it hard at 140 but really enjoyed it. In conclusion, lack of sleep really destroys your bench strength, takes three reps off your squat and makes your deadlift stronger*.

*applies to a sample size of one :)

Wednesday 18th March

2 hours of 5-a-side soccer. Not bad for a fat man :pac:

• Advertisement

Thursday 19th March

Front Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 2
    72.5 x 1 x 1
    82.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 1
    57.5 x 1 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 4
    57.5 x 1 x 3

Powerclean:
    40 x 1 x 5
    52.5 x 1 x 5
    62.5 x 1 x 5
    62.5 x 1 x 3 - I broke the bar :o
    62.5 x 1 x 5 - new bar :)

BB Shrugs:
    120 x 12, 10, 8

Face Pulls:
    28.75 x 2 x 15
    28.75 x 1 x 10

36 x 1 x15
    41 x 1 x 15
    41 x 1 x 10 x craaaaaaaamp

Cable Rotator Cuff:
    8.75 x 3 x12

Atlantis Calf Machine:
    74 x 1 x 15
    164 x 2 x15
    164 x 1 x 13 x bigger craaaaaaamp

Warm Down:
    20 min static stretching

Thoughts: Happy enough. Legs were tired from the soccer yesterday. I'm finding the front squat easy enough in poundage terms. I'm using the clean grip so the only problem I'm having is wrist flexibility. I should be able to get one or two more reps next time on the press. Powerclean was funny. I was flying along until the 2nd set. It felt as if the bar was getting longer as I cleaned each rep...then I looked down. The 7ft bar was now at least half a foot longer on one side. The end of the bar was coming off! So I got me a new bar and did 5 on the next set. Accessory work was pretty standard.

Tuesday 24th March

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 1
    130 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    85 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    145 x 1 x 5

Ab Machine:
    62.5 x 3 x 15

Warm Down:
    20 mins static stretching

Thoughts: A good day. Squats were tough. Close to a fail now. I'd say another 5kgs max before a 10% drop down is required. My bench felt super today. Hopefully, now that I've got the groove back I'll be able to up the weight for a few consecutive workouts. Again, the deadlifts felt strong.

I taped my squats and deadlifts today as my video camera came yesterday. It's perfect for the gym - small, light, cheap and also lets you upload straight to youtube. With regards my deadlift, the camera has pointed out a fault in my form. My hips rise too early which pushes my torso too far forward. I end up kinda stiff-legging the bar up with a slight bend in my back which gets progressively worse as the set goes on. NOT GOOD. Thankfully, now that I know about it I can fix it in the next workout.

Squat vid to follow...

Thoughts: Most of the reps look fine to me. Camera position for the 2nd set is shocking - I'm still learning :D

One thing I can notice is my shoulder flexibility sucks in my left shoulder. This is due an old RC injury but I'm working on it. I ordered a foam roller so hopefully that'll help when I get it.

Oh and contrary to what it may look like in the vid, I only waited 5 mins between sets. The lighting between the sets changes dramatically :confused:

Thursday 26th March

Warm up: mobility drills, soft tissue work

Front Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    85 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 1
    57.5 x 2 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 4

Powerclean:
    40 x 1 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    62.5 x 3 x 5

BB Shrugs:
    120 x 8, 10, 8

41 x 3 x 15

*supersetted with*

Atlantis Calf Machine:
    83 x 1 x 15
    173 x 15, 12, 13

Thoughts: I'm really getting the hang of the front squats now that my wrist flexibility is improving. Added two reps to my military press since last time. Powercleans took alot out of me and my bb shrugs suffered as a result.

I wanted to do a bit more accessory work but the gym was closing. Didn't get any stretching done for the same reason so I'll do some tonight before bed. Everything's going quite well at the moment :)

Tuesday 31st March

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    95 x 1 x 2
    115 x 1 x 2
    132.5 x 2 x 5
    132.5 x 1 x 4

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    87.5 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    110 x 1 x 2
    130 x 1 x 1
    150 x 1 x 3

15 min walk back to DCU and then 90 mins of 5-a-side soccer...

Thoughts: Squats were tough today. My hips felt tighter than usual and this made me very uncomfortable in the bottom position - even after the soft tissue work. I was content with 14/15 reps. Bench felt awesome. Hopefully my linear progress on the bench press will continue for a few workouts. My deadlift is now one rep short of my old pb so I should break it next time. Don't know how I got roped into playing soccer straight after but I enjoyed it anyway. Lots of stretching will be done tonight for sure.

Thursday 2nd April

Warm up: mobility drills and soft tissue work

Front Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 2
    77.5 x 1 x 1
    87.5 x 3 x 5

Military Press:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 3
    50 x 1 x 1
    57.5 x 2 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 4

Powerclean:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 5
    55 x 1 x 5
    67.5 x 3 x 5

*supersetted with*

48 x 3 x 12

Thoughts: Front squats are progressing nicely and still feel well within my comfort zone. I'm quite annoyed with the missed rep on the press. I let my concentration slip on the very first rep of the 3rd set and basically had to push it up twice as it wasn't locked out the first time. I'll get the full 15 reps next time. The powercleans are fast becoming the most taxing exercise of this workout. Although it could be because I supersetted them with abs since I was in a hurry. The 3rd set was probably the sloppiest I've ever done. Also, I noticed that I'm ripping the bar as fast off the floor as I can instead of waiting until I get into the jump position. Will fix that next time.

On a side note, I got chatting to an ex-powerlifter from Hercs. He gave me some nice pointers on the powercleans and I picked his brain on some other stuff as well. He also mentioned that he has to get knee replacements due to the wear and tear from all his training :eek:

Tuesday 14th April 9:00am

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    95 x 1 x 2
    115 x 1 x 2
    132.5 x 1 x 5
    132.5 x 1 x 3 :mad:
    100 x 1 x 20 :)

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    90 x 2 x 5
    90 x 1 x 4

Chins:
    bw x 5,5,4

Ab Machine:
    62.5 x 15,12,12

4:00pm

90 mins 5-a-side soccer

Thoughts: I was sick last week hence no updates. Lost a bit of weight too - down to 87kg as of this morning.

I'm ready to deload my squat. The first work set was grand and I was angry when I failed on the fourth rep of the second set. I really should've dropped the weight before the workout due to missing last week's workouts. I wanted to punish myself so went for a 20 repper. Happy enough with the 100kg. Set probably took ~2.5mins and afterwards I collapsed in a sweaty heap :pac:

Bench went quite well seeing as I've missed a workout. I was supposed to do deadlifts but I couldn't even get my body into the starting position due to the 20 repper. My legs are in flitters now. Haven't felt this much deep tissue burn in a long time :) I'm gonna deload my squat by ~10% to 120kg for the next workout.

Also, I really need to get more sleep. Probably averaging 5-6 hours a night which isn't enough. I do feel tired in the gym sometimes. Whether I end up getting more sleep or not is a different matter though. It's hard to break the habit of a lifetime.

Wednesday 29th April

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    60 x 1 x 3
    80 x 1 x 2
    100 x 1 x 1
    120 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 2
    75 x 1 x 1
    85 x 3 x 5

Deadlift:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    60 x 1 x 4
    80 x 1 x 3
    100 x 1 x 2
    120 x 1
    130 x 1
    140 x 1
    150 x 1
    160 x 1 |*PB*|

Ab Rope Pulldown:
    48 x 12, 11, 8

*supersetted with*

Atlantis Calf Machine

182 x 12, 11, 10

Thoughts: Squats were fine. Took 5 kg off my bench since I've missed so many workouts and it felt easy enough also. I wanted to see were my deadlift is at as of now so I decided to work up to singles. Happy enough with 160 seeing as I haven't deadlifted in a month :o I could probably have got 165 but I was knackered at that stage. In my mind it's only a PB in all but name since I've never done singles before.

I've also decided I'm going back to american football as of sunday. I miss the pain and the collisions too much. Watching games on the sidelines is torture. Furthermore, I think it's time for a change so either next week or the week after I'll start WS4SB. I was gonna switch to the Texas method but that type of training wouldn't fit in very well with the football imo.

I came to this decision because the big three on the same day is really starting to take its toll. A lack of progress and LOTS of missed workouts from my logs is all the evidence I need. Plus a big dose of laziness :o Anyway, I gotta go, exam soon - must read 21 papers (most 30+ pages) before 10am on Friday. I really cant wait to start ;)

Sunday 3rd May

American Football training 11:30am - 2pm

A nice light session that really got me back into the swing of things. Nice to have the pads on again :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 6th May

Warm up: mobility drills, soft tissue work

Squat:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 4
    70 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 1
    125 x 3 x 5

Bench:
    Bar x 2 x 5
    40 x 1 x 4
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 2
    70 x 1 x 2
    80 x 1 x 1
    90 x 3 x 5

Trap Bar Deadlift (using the lower handles):

60 x 1 x 5
    80 x 1 x 4
    100 x 1 x 3
    120 x 1 x 2
    140 x 1 x 2
    150 x 1 x 3

Ab Machine:
    65 x 20, 16, 15

Thoughts: Easy enough day. Squats were fine. I had one of those do-or-die moments on the bench. My last rep took about six seconds to lockout. I think the embarassment of having to call someone over to lift it off my chest drove me on tbh. Took it easy with the deadlifts in view of the fact that I've a game on Sunday. Really enjoyed using the trap bar for a change. So so different to a regular deadlift. You need to get much lower (if you use the lower handles).

Advertisement