Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España v Italia (Sunday QF)

• 18-06-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Potential classic pitting ugly and cynical Italian football against the artistry and flair of Spanish football.

Build up in Spain has focused on getting revenge for the 94 World Cup QF in which Tassotti left the great Luis Enrique with a bloody nose in their penalty area, before Roberto Baggio hit them on the break to win the game 2-1 in the last minute.

luis_enrique_apertura.jpg

Video can be seen on web page:

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/eurocopa/espana/es/desarrollo/1136411.html

The two teams recently played out a hard fought friendly that was won by a single goal from David Villa.

Head to head:

From 1920 to 2008

P27 Spain W8 D10 L9 30.77% GF28 GA36 GD-8

My prediction is 3-1 to Spain and Italy unable to get the ball off them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With Pirlo out, i cant see past Spain.

prediction; 2-0

the first early, say first 20mins, and the second in the last 20 as Italy push forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i can see italy ripping spain apart, who needs pirlo? Aquilani is a wonderkid, amazing, played well for the while he was on last night too. with De rossi and whoever else they pick instead of gattuso i think they will have a great time beating spain. the spanish haven't played vs any good defences yet and Buffon playing the way he is... Spain have a gap/leak in defence which italy will exploit, they are the tactical team while spain are technical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spain are perennial disappointments. However I think they'll disappoint against the Dutch rather than against Italy.

Italy have been poor, the only thing that has gotten them through has been Pirlos amazing passes to Toni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

i can see italy ripping spain apart, who needs pirlo? Aquilani is a wonderkid, amazing, played well for the while he was on last night too. with De rossi and whoever else they pick instead of gattuso i think they will have a great time beating spain. the spanish haven't played vs any good defences yet and Buffon playing the way he is... Spain have a gap/leak in defence which italy will exploit, they are the tactical team while spain are technical.
    Haha, you think have Italy a good defense? It's no better than Sweden's really. Holland, Romania and even France showed them up to be over reliant on Buffon at the back. Torres and Villa could have a field day. Luca Toni on the other hand has zero confidence and doesn't look like scoring anytime soon. Italy's only realistic hope of winning is if the ref heavily favours them by letting them away with cynical fouls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

+1.
    Aquilani and De Rossi have the benefit of working together at club level, much like Gattuso and Pirlo and while Pirlo is a big miss, Italy have been creating so much chances in their 3 games that eventually they'll start putting them away.

Spain are also bottlers. End of story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

this is going to be some hell of a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

From another thread
    The Spanish defence will get exposed for what it it is, much like the Portuguese one was last night, and will make Toni look like an excellent player. Italy to beat them 3-1.

If I am wrong, you can quote me on this post, and bellow in my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I think Spain will win this - Italy have underperformed throughout the group stages and beat a poor French team to make the last 8. They are all at sea at the back without Cannavaro and it has been Buffon that has kept them in the competition. With Pirlo and Gattuso missing from midfield and Toni* missing up front they'll have too much to make up against a Spanish side that have quality throughout the squad.

* I know Toni is not missing but he has been for all of the group games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Spain to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'd love to see Spain win this but I think the Italians are just contrary enough to dig in and get a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

The Italians might just bore this one out although I would like to see Spain through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

First unsteady Italian defence in about 20 years - mistakes at the back!! :eek::eek::eek:

This matters more than Pirlo/Gatusso.

But I think Tony will score - he has to at some point, he's had more chances than most teams at this stage

The Spanish defence will get exposed for what it it is, much like the Portuguese one was last night, and will make Toni look like an excellent player. Italy to beat them 3-1.

If I am wrong, you can quote me on this post, and bellow in my face.
    Hahaha, don't worry, I will! I'm confident class will prevail. A 35 year old Panucci and Chiellini will be no match for in-form Torres and Villa. Spain have NEVER had two genuine world class in-form goalscorers at htis stage of a tournament before, which I think people are forgetting. Even if they have an off day they will probably score.

The best preview I have read so far:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/et/corr/corrview?id=164&leagueCup=uefa.euro&cc=5739&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

Spain bt Russia 4-1
    Holland bt Italy 3-0
    Russia bt Holland 3-1
    Spain to beat Italy by 8 goals? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Spain will show their class and prove too much. They have such a good opportunity to go all the way if they get past the Italians. Without Pirlo it will be a lot easier for the Spanish to boss the midfield. Torres and Villa should wreak havoc.

I reckon a Spanish win by a two goal margin. Then again I'm 2-1 down with my predictions so far. :o

Still, come on Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

My heart says Italy but infortunately my head says spain. Italy simply lack strength all over the pitch, even their defence is weak which for Italy is properly a rarity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Like above the heart says Italy but the head says Spain.

While Spain have consistently blown up after great starts in recent tournaments I think they know that this one is theirs to take. They are also very fortunate to come up against a weakened Italy. Not sure they can deal with the loss of the key midfielders and I would agree that Toni (as he did the world cup) had failed to deliver.

I think however it could be a classic. Some would believe that Italy will sit back and play for a 1-0 or penos but this is not a good idea against the most potent strike force in the competition. I think Italy might go for it and take the chance that Toni sooner or later has to score. If so this could be a high scoring game with two greats trading goals. What ever happens there wont be much in this at the end.

Spain by a single goal. If they do beat Italy then I think they will win the comp as mentally it is a huge step forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Massive Massive game. I'd be surprised if the winners don't come from this one (if Italy win this one would you honestly bet against them!) although Russia could have some say in the matter.

I'm the opposite to the above posts, my heart says Spain but my head says Italy. I just aint covinced Spain have that winning mentality. One thing different this time is that Spain squad seems to be united for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kinaldo wrote: »
    Spain bt Russia 4-1
    Holland bt Italy 3-0
    Russia bt Holland 3-1*
    Spain to beat Italy by 8 goals? :pac:

Don't be ridiculous! You're including extra-time* there! Spain are only gonna win by 6. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well after 3 variable quarter finals so far I'm hopping this one will be the classic it could be. Unfortunatly Spain are already doomed as the fivelive roving reporter is going to be live from Jamie Carraghers bar with the Spainish supporters, on the previous 3 nights said reporter has been with fans of the loosing side. :(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm hoping Spain win but I have a feeling Italy might sneak it. The loss of Pirlo and Gatusso should be crucial allowing Senna and Xavi to boss the middle.

I'd say the first goal will be vital. If Italy get it, I can see them shutting up shop as Spain get more and more desperate. If Spain get it, I can see them getting a couple more as Torres and Villa run riot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I tipped Spain so that will probably mean Italy winning this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Got all my QF predictions completely wrong so far and going to make it 4 out of 4 hopefully as I think Spain will win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Spain to be the better team and then have a 84th goal ruled out when it shouldn't have been and then the Italians get a lucky penalty in the 89th to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really cant see past Spain winning this one.
    The Italian defense has looked a shambles at best and I think with Torres and Villa in form they could tear it apart.

Spain 3 - 1 Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'll go with Italy to win 1-0 or on pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Italy to win 1-0 meaning its all the group runners up in the semis. Italy Germany final.

That said, I really hope Spain do the job tonight, but I reckon they don't have a snowballs chance in hell. Italy are too wily and crafty. They have the experience of tough situations, which the Spanish have not, and never will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Would love to see Spain win, but unfortunately I think that they are gonna choke yet again- they are the footballing equivalent of New Zealand in rugby.

I think contrary to "footballing wisdom" Spain have the best chance if they go "Banzai" rather than try to beat Italy by being sure and steady. That defence has to be got at from the first whistle.

Mike.

• Advertisement

As regards the above - that's a bit harsh, the Kiwis are like a choking Brazil rather than Spain.

The two important points for me are:

I can't see Italy keeping a clean sheet with Villa and Torres vrs that defence.

I can't see Italy's route to goal. Pirlo to Toni was good but that's not there today. Cassano maybe but he hasn't impressed. About the only thing I can see is Grosso getting forward and putting in good crosses.

Obviously there's other way's they can score but the Italian team today will lack quality.

Basically it's Spain's to either win or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Jesus, Luis Enrique really was an ugly lookin fella wasn't he?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think this game hinges on whether Toni, with all his quality, can put away even 1/10 of his chances... Spain will dominate possession, concede silly chances, but Casillas should come to the rescue... 3-1 to Spain is my prediction...

I think it's quite hard for most people to predict how well Italy are going to do because it seems that most of you haven't seen Aquilani play much. If he has a good game, I think that Italy will take this one quite easily. I also think that with De Rossi on the pitch, Italy's defence will have alot of protection, and more solid protection than with Gattuso. Italy 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

gosplan wrote: »
    As regards the above - that's a bit harsh, the Kiwis are like a choking Brazil rather than Spain.

The two important points for me are:

I can't see Italy keeping a clean sheet with Villa and Torres vrs that defence.

I can't see Italy's route to goal. Pirlo to Toni was good but that's not there today. Cassano maybe but he hasn't impressed. About the only thing I can see is Grosso getting forward and putting in good crosses.

Obviously there's other way's they can score but the Italian team today will lack quality.

Basically it's Spain's to either win or lose.

Spain are notorious for choking when they get to the big tournament. I've been backing them since 94, and they've always flattered to deceive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eZe^ wrote: »
    I think this game hinges on whether Toni, with all his quality, can put away even 1/10 of his chances... Spain will dominate possession, concede silly chances, but Casillas should come to the rescue... 3-1 to Spain is my prediction...

Hi eZe. :)

A question for you, if you don't mind.

You're part Catalan, right? What are your feelings toward the Spanish National team? Have you any love for them?

Were the stories true that we'd heard at the beginning of the championships, that the Catalan and Spanish lads don't get on to well, or that the Catalans don't give 100% for the Spanish team?

Have any Basque players ever represented Spain? I think they have, but I'm not sure (anyone know if any Basques ever represented France either?).

Isn't Coruna in a part of Spain that would be considered apart, like Catalunya, how about players from here?

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think it's quite hard for most people to predict how well Italy are going to do because it seems that most of you haven't seen Aquilani play much. If he has a good game, I think that Italy will take this one quite easily. I also think that with De Rossi on the pitch, Italy's defence will have alot of protection, and more solid protection than with Gattuso. Italy 1-0

Aquilani, for all his talents, wont be the player that will stop Spain from dominating possession... And thats where I see the game being won and lost.

DesF wrote: »

Have any Basque players ever represented Spain? I think they have, but I'm not sure (anyone know if any Basques ever represented France either?).

Lizarazu was part Basque and I think Exteberria was the last Basque player to represent Spain. Apparently Arteta is as well according to Champo

RE EZE: De Rossi and the other AC midfielder (name escapes me, Ambrosini?) will have the job of regaining possesion while Aquilani will have to step into Pirlo's shoes. With Toni up there and Cassano or Del Piero playing of him a long ball should suffice anyway.

Lizarazu was part Basque and I think Exteberria was the last Basque player to represent Spain.

I'm seeing a pattern here. The Letter X.

Is Xavi Basque I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Aquilani, for all his talents, wont be the player that will stop Spain from dominating possession... And thats where I see the game being won and lost.

nor does Pirlo... :confused:

De Rossi\Ambrosini will be the two ear marked to do this. Aquilani (or, i've read in some places Camoronesi being mentioned as a possibility in this position) will be given the free role to form the link with the forwards. this mightn't actually be a bad thing. Pirlo sits very deep for a playmaker, and this can prove problematic when your forwards don't have any pace, as they can be left very isolated if there's no one wide quick up to support (again which Italy lack). Aquilani will probably push on a wee bit further and offer more options in attack (assuming he isn't overwhelmed by the experience, it is a big ask for someone so inexperienced).

i'm actually hoping for a big game from Ambrosini. I used always like him when i was younger watching football Italia :) , but he's been very poor of late. i'm hoping his experience though will prove a boon in the absence of Pirlo and Gattuso. it's being very optimistic on my part i know, but i think it will be necessary for Italy to win.

DesF wrote: »
    Hi eZe. :)

A question for you, if you don't mind.

You're part Catalan, right? What are your feelings toward the Spanish National team? Have you any love for them?

Were the stories true that we'd heard at the beginning of the championships, that the Catalan and Spanish lads don't get on to well, or that the Catalans don't give 100% for the Spanish team?

Isn't Coruna in a part of Spain that would be considered apart, like Catalunya, how about players from here?

Well, there is no doubt a feeling of national pride in Catalunya, and of course alot will choose not to support the Spanish national team. But really, I don't know enough about my Catalan roots to feel that sense of pride as I've been away from it most of my life. The way I look at it is, if proud Catalan people such as Puyol and Xavi have no problems representing the national team, why should I?

I think if you've watched the team this season you'll see that the Catalan/ Castillian division is nowhere to be seen... Xavi scoring a late goal against the US being a good example...

Im not quite sure about the Basque's exact feelings towards the national team, but its very similar to Catalunya's, Catalans and Basques don't really get on well together despite having similar feelings of independence. Its due to both groups being too proud I guess. But again, don't take my opinion on it as gospel as I really dont know enough on the subject. I dont believe any Basque players have played for the national team recently, but there have been in the past, examples being Olaskoaga and the most capped Spanish player of all time, Zubizarreta!

• Advertisement

Lizarazu was part Basque and I think Exteberria was the last Basque player to represent Spain. Apparently Arteta is as well according to Champo

RE EZE: De Rossi and the other AC midfielder (name escapes me, Ambrosini?) will have the job of regaining possesion while Aquilani will have to step into Pirlo's shoes. With Toni up there and Cassano or Del Piero playing of him a long ball should suffice anyway.

Youre right, Arteta is from San Sebastian, a Basque capitol...

My point was that, it'll players that can dominate the midfield and possession that will decide the outcome of the game, and since thats not Aquilani's main feat, he, in my opinion, won't be Italys most important player... However, as you've said De Rossi and Ambrosini will be the people that can pressure Spains midfield into making mistakes...

Still think Spain will have too much, 3-1... A tense 2-1 affair until the last 5 minutes.

I dont believe any Basque players have played for the national team recently

Er hello! Xabi Alonso!

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Er hello! Xabi Alonso!

Mike.

You're absolutely right, I remember an interview I saw recently where the presenter put him on the spot and made him speak Basque... It was amusing... :D Seems like a top guy though.

I'm on Erasmus in Italy at the moment and the large majority of my friends are Spanish. One of them is from barcelona and dug out a sweden jersey for the match the other day so I think its safe to say some Catalans don't support the Spanish team:D

Tonights a weird one for me, being half-Italian i'm obviously supporting them, but I'm gonna be watching it with about 50 spanish lads so I might have to keep my celebrations (I hope) low-key

La Coruna is in Galicia Des, one of my friends is from there and while he wants Spain to win, he's certainly not as pushed about it as the other lads, and they do also consider themselves a bit apart from Spain, tho not at the level of Catalunya or the Basque country

carlop wrote: »
    I'm on Erasmus in Italy at the moment and the large majority of my friends are Spanish. One of them is from barcelona and dug out a sweden jersey for the match the other day so I think its safe to say some Catalans don't support the Spanish team:D
    Wow!
    La Coruna is in Galicia Des, one of my friends is from there and while he wants Spain to win, he's certainly not as pushed about it as the other lads, and they do also consider themselves a bit apart from Spain, tho not at the level of Catalunya or the Basque country

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

actually when i was in Camp Nou the tour guide said she 'respected' Puyol's accomplishment in playing for Spain, but she didn't sound overly enthusiastic about it. it's a strange relationship they have with each other, and one that seems very variable depending on the individual.

actually when i was in Camp Nou the tour guide said she 'respected' Puyol's accomplishment in playing for Spain, but she didn't sound overly enthusiastic about it. it's a strange relationship they have with each other, and one that seems very variable depending on the individual.

Yeah it's weird alright, they're very big on local rivalries aswell, just mention something about Valladolid to someone from Salamanca and watch it all kick off! I think you're right in that it depends on the individual, the lads here are all good friends, be they Catalan, Basque or Castillan and don't let the issue of nationality get in the way of this, but I'm sure this isn't always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Spain 3 Torres 15,32,63
    Italy 2 Toni 40 Del Piero 78

What is Xavi has a good game or Villa has a good game?

Is your contention that Aquilani/Di Rossi > Pirlo/Gattuso

Di Rossi is better than Gattuso in many ways but defending isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Its obviously a tough one to call but you can never write off Italy, they are like the Germans, they will always put in a performance when their backs are against the walls.
    I think people might be getting slightly carried away about Spain, its a bit like Portugal and Holland, Portugal never impressed me in the tournament and I thought the Dutch were made look good, both midfields were shocking and both managers were shown up when it came to the crunch.
    I think Spain could have problems in midfield and the Italians could be tacticaly better but its anyones game really !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement