Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España v Italia (Sunday QF)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

gosplan wrote: »
    What is Xavi has a good game or Villa has a good game?
    What I meant was that Aquilani can be inconsistent, but when he is good he is brilliant. Real threat from set plays as well. As for the good game conundrum, if Toni has a good game Spain are in trouble.
    gosplan wrote: »
    Is your contention that Aquilani/Di Rossi > Pirlo/Gattuso

Di Rossi is better than Gattuso in many ways but defending isn't one of them.

At the moment, probably not, but if you look at Serie A, Aquilani and De Rossi have outpreformed Gattuso and Pirlo this season by miles. I know they are somewhat reliant on Totti at club level, but if the Italian squad was picked on form, De Rossi and Aquilani would have started.

TBH, this match could all come down to which keeper plays better. The two best in the world, this is Casillas' chance to challenge Buffon for the established World's number 1 spot he has held since Khan vacated it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I remember being very impressed with de Rossi and Aquilani against Real in the CL, also showed they could perform on the big stage. I think in the last year de Rossi has overtaken Gattuso as a player, but he does suffer from the occasional moment of madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Bubs101 wrote: »
    if Toni has a good game Spain are in trouble.

And the Italian team you have seen so far fill you with confidence against the likes of Villa, Torres, Iniesta, Xavi and Silva? Too many ifs and buts to be honest....

eZe^ wrote: »
    And the Italian team you have seen so far fill you with confidence against the likes of Villa, Torres, Iniesta, Xavi and Silva? Too many ifs and buts to be honest....

The Italian team I have seen so far have been ridiculously unlucky and have created a whole lot of chances. Against Holland, they were blown away, fair enough. But you have to remember that the two counter attacking goals came from a corner which was cleared of the line and a free kick that was heading towards the top corner only for a once in a tournament wondersave to stop it.We had a clear goal ruled out for no reason against Romania, and once again, created a whole lot of chances. We dominated France. I don't think that is bad at all and we have shown constant improvement.

As for Spain, they were very good in the opening match against Russia, but 4-1 was very flattering and very unfair on the Russians. Also when you consider in hindsight the difference between Russia with Arshavin and without, it was hardly a challenging match playing a team without their most influential player. In the match against Sweden, Spain struggled and got lucky at the last. A B team played Greece so that is for the most part irrelevant.

For me, Spain have been the luckiest team so far in the Euros while Italy have been the unluckiest (maybe bar Croatia considering their quarter). Obviously the Spanish team has alot of threats, I'm not ignoring that and if I were a Spanish fan I'd be confident. But I'm an Italian fan and I see us playing a team that always bottles it and have ridden their luck somewhat so far. Spain have a marginally better squad, but Italy have a much better team spirit and most importantly, half of them have shown they can do it on the international stage.

There are a lot of parrallels to the France match 2 years ago, and who knows, for once Spain might show that they have the testicular fortitude for a major tournament, lord knows this is their best chance to do it. But history shows that they won't and that they will bottle it as always. I mean no offense Eze, and I respect your opinion but this is one of those fan vs. fan arguments that can only be sorted out by humiliation tommorow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Spain to win. Their superior attack will win through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Italy to win 1-0, from an offside goal in the 90th minute, or from a penalty won by a dive. If not, Spain will bottle it on penalties!

Ideally, Spain to trash Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Forza Italia.

If Itlay had their best team available, they would win easily.

their best team being.

Buffon

Oddo Nesta Canna Zambrotta

Pirlo

Gattauso Ambrosini De Rosi

Totti

Toni

But of course totti and nesta retired, canna, rino and prilo are injured and Oddo was left in Milan.

Even Barzagli is injured so thta means Panucci and the psycho from inter start in the middle, IMHO Bonera or Paolo Cannavaro should have been in the squad.

tonight Ambro will have to do Rino's work and Aqualani will have to act as prilo's replacement.

I could actually see a shock and see Cammo starting and Italy playing with a Roma shape with Toni at the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

spain have gone out 4 times in the quater finals on the 22nd of June

7 times in total on qualifiers.

Dunphy has rubbished the Spanish defence, "an accident waiting to happen"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Spain 3 Torres 15,32,63
    Italy 2 Toni 40 Del Piero 78

:confused::confused::confused:

Fabregas is the best miodfielder in the world, according to Gilesy.
    :eek:

He has probably just mistaken him for Xavi or Iniesta.

He probably doesn't know who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spain: Casillas, Marchena, Puyol, Iniesta, Villa, Xavi, Torres, Capdevila, Ramos, Senna, Silva. Subs to follow.

Italy: Buffon, Panucci, Grosso, Chiellini, Toni, De Rossi, Ambrosini, Cassano, Zambrotta, Perrotta, Aquilani. Subs to follow.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

ha, Aquiliani will be tomorrow's Arshavin that's my predicition.

i think I like xavi more than xavi6 does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Not one Spaniard sang the anthem. Aragones looks like someone poisoned his goldfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Shamrok wrote: »
    Not one Spaniard sang the anthem. Aragones looks like someone poisoned his goldfish.

Could be because it doesn't have any words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tom65 wrote: »

Pah! A team with a winning mentality would overcome this obstacle.

As an aside, I wonder do teams that play us think our anthem has no lyrics either? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Tom65 wrote: »
    oh :o

Have any penalties been given in this tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Shamrok wrote: »
    oh :o

It's a great fact to know :D
    DesF wrote: »

Romania against Italy springs to mind. Can't think of any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yeah Pirlo tucked one away after Abidal's hatchet job on Toni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ha, Aquiliani will be tomorrow's Arshavin that's my predicition.

i think I like xavi more than xavi6 does.

ROFL not a chance.

Can't believe that I got up for this shite. The other three quarters were crackers and now we get this crap.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ROFL not a chance.

Can't believe that I got up for this shite. The other three quarters were crackers and now we get this crap.

morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Torres looks like he could find a way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus the Spanish must be on soe savage goal bonuses, no one will pass as soon as they get within 30 yards of the goal.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ROFL not a chance.

You must have been still asleep for Turkey - Croatia. Dont let 2 late goals and a peno shoot out cloud your judgement. You may as well have gotten out of bed at 115 mins.

Jaysis.

That was a foul, not a peno though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How do they expect to combat diving when , even when the ref makes the divign motion and tells the player to get up he doesnt book him? ( I realise he stood on him but the ref said dive)

morning

Evening
    Stekelly wrote: »
    You must have been still asleep for Turkey - Croatia. Dont let 2 late goals and a peno shoot out cloud your judgement. You may as well have gotten out of bed at 115 mins.

A valid point. Only got the highlights of that one.

I thought this ref was one of the better ones too :confused:

I agree with you 100%

• Advertisement

Jebus, if Spain were a motorist they'd be the little old lady in a Morris Minor on the way to Sunday Service.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is no way in the world Italy will lose this. Toni will score th winner.

Italians holding them well at the back but doing sweet funk all up front. Perotta and Cassano have been nowhere. Del Piero and Cameronesi beckon. Silva's looking good

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Boardsie favourites Iniesta and Xavi have been rather poor so far.

Dunphy is dead right about the refereeing decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Giles: "Its gonna be a long evening, I hope you havnt got a date, Bill"

O'Herlihy: "God be with the days.."

:D

Boardsie favourites Iniesta and Xavi have been rather poor so far.

Never rated either both are La Liga lightweights, those two off and Xabi and Cesc on.

Mike.

ferdi wrote: »
    Giles: "Its gonna be a long evening, I hope you havnt got a date, Bill"

O'Herlihy: "God be with the days.."

:D

lol

mike65 wrote: »
    Never rated either both are La Liga lightweights, those two off and Xabi and Cesc on.

Mike.

:rolleyes: PMSL

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mike.
    Can't do that, they're the best in the world.

Silva looks the only one who might spark something for Spain at the moment. I feel sorry for Villa and Torres.

Hopefully Spain can get an early goal in the second half and force the Italians to play a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mike.

Youve got to be joking ?

Although I think Iniesta has been poor all tournament. Hes usually brilliant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mike.

Are you serious?

Xavi I think is actually one of Spains better players tonight and probably my favourite Barca player. Consistency personified and a big game player. Iniesta is the most under rated player in Europe.

Cesc is a decent player no doubt, but has yet to cut it in the national team and Alonso has seen better days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if Italy had widemen up front instead of Perrotta and Cassano they'd have destroyed this Spanish team. as it is both teams are very narrow and the game is playing exactly as Italy would wish. still not sure they have the quality to win it. i'm thinking extra time already.

woeful from Iniesta there. he really should be pulled if he can't raise his game in the next 10. doesn't matter how good you are domestically...

Tusky wrote: »
    Youve got to be joking ?

Although I think Iniesta has been poor all tournament. Hes usually brilliant though.

He was quality against Russia for most of the game. Great ball into Villa for one of the goals. He has underperformed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Aquilani needs to be replaced. I think Del Piero for the last 30 mins could offer Italy that little bit of magic. Ambrosini is definitely on the wane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Thought this was going to be fine wine and Lobster tonight but seems like cider and curry so far (nought wrong with that btw)

Villa's attempted cross there has summed up the game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

this is the worst game i've seen in this tournament so far. (I missed the France Romania game).

Italy are an awful to team to watch, I hope spain bang 3 past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Loosening up a little. Italy just have zero creativity in midfield. Toni is terrible. having said that he might nick the winner! Del Piero on now please. Chiellini playing very well despite the fact he's a left back.

Xavi and Iniesta off.

Cazorla and Cesc on

• Advertisement
Advertisement