Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I sell my car Reg?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my uncle has an irish registration plate which is

1 SIP

he believes that it could be worth a lot of money to people interested in collecting number plates with a 1 in the number plate.

http://www.cnreg.com/search.php
    that site lists similar plates for prices around 10k sterling.

Would it be possible to sell this Irish plate to someone in england and for them to use it?
    would ebay be the best place or where could I learn more?
    Also what is cherished numbers exactly?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe that because it wasn't transferred out of Ireland before we brought in the new system, it can't be sold. You can't sell regs within Ireland for a starter so it'd have to be transferred to the UK. Any of the plate resellers in the UK could give you more information.

'cherished number' is just a fancified term for a personalised plate, it sounds less american and makes a point that all the personalised plates in the UK do fit in to their standard system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

right so it would be ok to sell it in UK? would i have to let them know it is irish?

or is this something i shouldn't be talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wonder would Guinness buy the car off him?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm pretty sure that the ability to transfer Irish plates to UK vehicles has long expired. So, you uncle is sol. VIP 1 did make a fortune though!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

oh no is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

right so it would be ok to sell it in UK? would i have to let them know it is irish?
    The value of the plate lies in it being transferable and usable in the UK. As far as I can see, your uncle's is unfortunately neither. And yes, they'd see it was Irish when they looked at the registration document.;)

Advertisement