Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800Ultra or 9800GTX

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Which is better, and is it worth the extra money for the 9800GX2? I wnat this to run Crysis at maximum btw ;)

Or should I be SLI-ing other cards? My system specs are in my sig (obviously the 8800GTX's never arrived).

Advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All depends on what size monitor you have.
    If at higher resolutions the 8800gtx will still beat the 9800GTX which has only 512MB ram as opposed to 768MB for the 8800.
    If money is no object I suggest waiting for the next month to see what ATI's 4780X2 looks like.
    Nvidia's new card 2800GTX sucks for it's price and many reckon ATI's card will beat it..granted it's X-Fire but it will still work in your board.
    Me? I have a 8800GTX and normally upgrade my card asap..this time around there's no card out there yet that tempts me..the ball's in ATI's court :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Defo wait for the new ATI cards. If they disappoint I'd try get a top of the range 8800 series on adverts. Last I checked , 2 8800 gtx's were on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If your monitor is 1680x1050 or above, Crysis at maximum settings still isn't entirely playable on a 9800GX2. The GTX280 just about manages 1600x1200 4X AA Maximum settings! That game simply isn't worth it, and won't be for a few months to come at least, for those aspiring to play maxed out at high resolution.

At this stage I'd be waiting to see what Ati can throw onto the board. To answer your original question, 9800GTX or 8800Ultra haven't a hope of running Crysis anywhere near maximum settings at a high resolution - every other game will work fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If your monitor is 1680x1050 or above, Crysis at maximum settings still isn't entirely playable on a 9800GX2. The GTX280 just about manages 1600x1200 4X AA Maximum settings! That game simply isn't worth it, and won't be for a few months to come at least, for those aspiring to play maxed out at high resolution.

At this stage I'd be waiting to see what Ati can throw onto the board. To answer your original question, 9800GTX or 8800Ultra haven't a hope of running Crysis anywhere near maximum settings at a high resolution - every other game will work fantastic.

Monitor is 19" 1280x1024 but as I've two of these chances are I'll get a third one and a matrox THTG at some stage.

I don't actually intend playing Crysis - what I meant was I want something that will run that well in order to future proof given the specs I have. A lot of what I'd play are older games like BF2 but I've FSX as well and I'd like that to live up to its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Eh don't take this the wrong why but you should only buy what you need.
    An 8800 gt or maybe a gts would be more than enough for what you are playing. Future proofing doesn't exist. you have a pci-e slot so that'll take any card for a couple a years yet and thats as future proof as you'll get. if and when you find you're system isn't coping then upgrade. A 19'' monitor doesn't need a top end card. In fact an 8800gt will probably play everything on max. As for FSX you'd be better to spend your money on a quad core afaik it's cpu intensive and is geared towards multi core.

I'm pretty sure SLI only works on a single monitor just so you know.

• Advertisement

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Eh don't take this the wrong why but you should only buy what you need.
    An 8800 gt or maybe a gts would be more than enough for what you are playing. Future proofing doesn't exist. you have a pci-e slot so that'll take any card for a couple a years yet and thats as future proof as you'll get. if and when you find you're system isn't coping then upgrade. A 19'' monitor doesn't need a top end card. In fact an 8800gt will probably play everything on max. As for FSX you'd be better to spend your money on a quad core afaik it's cpu intensive and is geared towards multi core.

I'm pretty sure SLI only works on a single monitor just so you know.

You didn't read my post correctly. I intend upgrading to 3x19", and I intend using a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go which will mean a resolution of 3840x1024 ;) I don't want two cards if I can help it, I want one. Ideally.

Given a straight choice between an Ultra and a 9800GTX, which is better? I can get either for €250, second hand and new respectively, and I want to have that edge on the 8800GT to save me upgrading just so soon again. Also do we know a price for the new ATi offerings yet and whether or not they are expected to be in the same €€€ and performance ballparks as what I'm looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If they're both the same price, the Ultra is considerably faster at higher resolutions and copes better with AA at same.

I wouldn't spend 250 on a 9800GTX, when the practically just as fast 8800GTS 512mb costs 170-180 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    I intend using a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go which will mean a resolution of 3840x1024

Do those matrox cards take your VGA from the card and split after. Thought they were stand alone cards. My bad.
    edit/ should have googled before i posted.
    Given a straight choice between an Ultra and a 9800GTX, which is better?

Ultra all the way.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Do those matrox cards take your VGA from the card and split after. Thought they were stand alone cards. My bad.
    edit/ should have googled before i posted.

They take DVI but that's neither here nor there :p

No worries - cheers lads.

Advertisement