Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artifacts while gaming, never overclocked.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

I have an X1900XT 512mb, its about 2 years old, never been overclocked.

A few weeks ago when we had that hot spell I started getting artifacts in game that looked like one of the points of a triangle stretched out to infinity. These artifacts were usually localised to a single asset, so if say, a helmet had one of these artifacts on it, everyone in game with that helmet would display the same problem.

I thought it was heat related so I checked the temps, which were all fine. Updated drivers, no change. I think its getting worse now, Im playing mass effect and there are random glitches which show up a few minutes into play.

I think its video memory related because when I tab out the artifacts go away, but they return after a few minutes. I think this is because the buffers are flushed when I tab and it takes a few minutes to fill all the memory available.

So is it possible that it could just go bad like this?

The atitool artifact tester initially finds no artifacts, but if I leave the test running for a while and then scan for artifacts it doesnt go 5 seconds without finding 1 or 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Well usually this sort of stuff is temp related.But i had the exact same thing happen to me on that exact card and never found a solution. In the end i managed to rma it for a partial refund.
    Sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If drivers don't make a change, temps are normal and it's failing the artifact scan, not much else it could be other then failing - you could try underclocking the memory - I did this before to an X1900XT that was failing me and it actually lengthened the lifespan considerably - should squeeze some extra life out of it at the expense of reduced performance, but ultimately probably time for a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I have a 8800GT arriving on monday, but I have a lan tomorrow and I was hoping to sell it on to a friend. Pity.

Advertisement