Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a book for PC/XP Beginners

• 18-06-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I have recently upgraded my pc and given the old machine to my parents. They have never used a pc or xp before. I have shown them the *very* basics but I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend a book which covers the basics for absolute beginners.

Something that my parents could reference and try out.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Xp for Dummies, should be in any library, Easons stock it also if you wish to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

imagine hearing all about how complicted pcs are, and hearing of all the problems, like virus's and stuff, then being handed a pc and a phone book size guide to how to use it :eek:

here is what I think you should do....

set then up with a basic user account with access to outlook express and internet explorer, really convince them that they can't do anything that can damage the pc, (but warn them not to buy anything online with out talking to you)

(you set up outlook express for them)
    show them how to check emails
    show them how to reply to emails
    repeat the above steps a few times, then get them to have a go while you watch
    send them emails, ask relations to send them emails, demand replies from them

set up a few shortcuts to websites on the desktop, sports, gardening, rte, all clearly labeled

leave them at this for a while, if you think of any site they might like add them to the destop, then after a month or 2 set it up like a normal pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

erm, if you recall mate, if you go into Start > Accessories > Tour Windows XP.. that should be enough to get them around.

As far as mail goes I'd just give them Firefox and gmail; give them a non-intrusive AntiVirus and Firewall package that doesnt require too much baby sitting and set all updates for automatic.

Windows For Dummies isnt a bad idea if they want to sit down and learn it, but you need to walk a little first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend a book which covers the basics for absolute beginners....
    Overheal wrote: »
    erm, if you recall mate, if you go into Start > Accessories > Tour Windows XP.. that should be enough to get them around.

As far as mail goes I'd just give them Firefox and gmail; give them a non-intrusive AntiVirus and Firewall package that doesnt require too much baby sitting and set all updates for automatic.

Windows For Dummies isnt a bad idea if they want to sit down and learn it, but you need to walk a little first.

As an IT trainer with experience in dealing with "Silver Surfers" I would agree with all suggestions above.

Though, Windows for Dummies, as suggested, might be a step too far at the very beginning, also be aware there is not as much help or documentation available for Firefox (for the beginner).

Coming from a more "trusting era", Silver Surfers need to be made aware of on-line security issues but not in a way that terrifies them into giving up their new interest, therefore I would recommend they sign up for a few beginner classes, preferably within a no-pressure peer group. This a great social outlet also.

If they are in Dublin I can make recommendations.

Advertisement