Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky sports offer for next 3 months

• 18-06-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,908 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for posting this here but its worth mentioning

I rang sky last night with the intention of cancelling sky sports until the football season restarts.
    I currently have all the sky sports channels and the usual others (6mixes)
    and this costs me 58 per month.
    I also planned on getting rid of the style and culture mix and the kids mix which wouldve reduced my package to 26eu.
    However, the sky rep made me an offer that if i kept sky sports 1-3+xtra
    and the 6 mixes that i could have them for 35euro a month for the next three
    months and then it would revert to its original price.
    Brilliant offer considering i wouldve been swithing it back on mid august
    for the charity shield anyway.
    The offer applies only when you have six mixes with sky sports and depending on the rep you might not even be offered it so be sure to ask
    as my own next door neighbour wasnt offered this until i intervened (yet he had no intentions of turning off his sports so now he keeps it all for less).
    its genuine...keep sky sports and get 23euro off your sky package for
    the next three months so make sure you request sky sports to be turned off
    and then ask about the offer if they dont tell you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hardly a bargain if they turn your channels off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

interesting, i was about to cancel my sky sports anyway today, i'll report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I know. I was hinting at the fact that not everyone gets he deal he got. Sky could very easily turn the lot off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Scottie99

When I had Sky I used to do this every 3 months. Always got discount to keep the Sports package. I did it 4 times a year:D

Tight yes..........but at least the money is in MY pocket:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Just get yourself a Box, big money saver

You wouldn't be suggesting that people break the law. Are you?

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Niall06 wrote: »
    Just get yourself a Box, big money saver

Not worth it at this stage anyway. NTL are investing hugely in a new encryption code which will render all those useless.

Heard all that rubbish before,never happened.
    Anyway time to go and watch a movie on Sky Premier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I've being hearing that for the last couple of years & many more stories.

Any one if they have any offers on Sky plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭osnoyl

setanta sports do the same i wanted to cancel and they then offered my half price for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkie5

Just about to sign up to sky, are there any offers for this? Any ideas?

Sky wont give you Sky Sports at a discount if you are signing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

corkie5 wrote: »
    Just about to sign up to sky, are there any offers for this? Any ideas?
    Their latest offer is a sky+ box for €49. Probably have to pay a bit extra for installation but a good deal if you are a new subscriber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Thanks for posting this info.
    I am subscribed to both Setanta and Sky sports and have just saved 86 euro by doing what you recommended. half price setanta for 3 months.

56 sky package reduced to 37.50 for the next 3 months.

Amazing that it only takes a phone call!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

Did you ask to cancel, or ask if they've special offers for existing subscribers?
    I'd love to try it, but I'm afraid if I ask to cancel, they'll just say "fair enough, g'luck!". :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If you're a customer for over 12 months, it's almost impossible to cancel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

do u mean they will try to keep you as a customer by offering u deals if u are over your 12month contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup, they have a retentions team (possibly based down in Cork now) who will try to keep you.

Obviously you have to take it from the cost angle, every summer I've always got the 3 month half price deal.

If it doesn't work, just ring back later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭davehey79

i just tried it there this minute and they were all the way through to cancelling it and not a mention of half price deal. im on the following package for the last 8+ years
    Sky World with Family Pack & i have Sky +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

LOL - I can just picture your avatar on the phone waiting on a discount and being fully disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

johnfás wrote: »
    Not worth it at this stage anyway. NTL are investing hugely in a new encryption code which will render all those useless.

sure they've been saying that for years, i used to work for those clowns, even if they do the codes will be cracked in no time.

Dodgy box is the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

muffler wrote: »
    Their latest offer is a sky+ box for €49. Probably have to pay a bit extra for installation but a good deal if you are a new subscriber.

Anyone know if there is any offer on Upgrading to Sky+ for existing subscribers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is any offer on Upgrading to Sky+ for existing subscribers?

Nothing that I am aware of for existing. I called up for a friend the other day whos sky is freezing every now and again to see if we could get someone out. The call out charge is €100 euro and he advised might be better off upgrading to sky plus rather than pay the €100 to get it fixed. I got transferred from India to Cork and got some lad who said the Sky plus was €200 to get installed. €150 for the box and €50 for installation. I think they are gonna go for plus for the sake of an extra hundred.

B~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I would give them a call to see if they would give you the sky+ box at the new reduced price of €49 + installation.

After all they will tie you down to another 12 month contract. If you only have a couple or few months to run on your sub it would be worth the price of a phone call.

And if you get the sky+ you would never go back to the standard box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just rang up there and got my package reduced from 58pm to 37.50 ,very straight forward.:D
    I used to ring up all the time before,basically had it half price for 2 years ,by telling all sorts of stories to the retentions dept.
    They removed most of the retention deals at Xmas 2006 due to policy changes.
    Glad to see some back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

When I got the deal I had to say I was cancelling, they didnt mention anything about reducing my package until I asked at the last minute if there were some special deals that they could offer me - it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

johnfás wrote: »
    Niall06 wrote: »
    Heard all that rubbish before,never happened.
    Anyway time to go and watch a movie on Sky Premier.
    It is not rubbish. I expect many boxes are not working right now since they updated their keyroll method (which certainly did happen), not everybody knows how to update a box with a PC, or even how to enter codes etc.

The new encryption is very real, they are already replacing older boxes which cannot use a new card, then new cards will be sent out to people with boxes. Many cheap boxes can just physically/technically not cope with the new encryption, just like the old big pace boxes.

What really interests me is that it might be in their interest NOT to upgrade the encryption, since they might lose a lot of customers who are only subscribing on the basic service due to the ability to have a dodgy box working. Many may be 50/50 between the 2 companies and change to sky out of spite after UPC render their illegal box useless. I was just mentioning that here

I was expecting Sky would have a lot of offers out when UPC send out these new cards. People boxes will be renedered useless and it is a prime time for sky to poach them.

Another factor is that you can buy high end dodgy boxes, UPC force you to use a horrendously poor box, it would be like subscribing to eircom broadband and they insisting you use their own pathetic PC from the 90's. People have high end LCDs/Plasmas and then are connecting them up to these crap units. While you can get a proper legitimate brand box, then put on dodgy software and have it output HDMI or component to your TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Mate of mine bought one of those dodgy boxes for €400 and asked if I wanted one... Gave me a good laugh. He got a couple of months out of it.
    Another got one before Christmas for €150 and its still going. Never locked on him and did not have to update it. I seen it on ebay for €130. The only thing is the picture quality is not great..... oh and its illegal!!!!

Advertisement