Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any know if John Brown is still teaching in the Institute??

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:28pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am just curious for personal reasons...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭somerandomguy

yeah man, definitely.:pac:c'mon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

Im in the institute.... have never heard of him......??!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

small guy, teachs maths, speaks with a lisp. He'd be 65 maybe 70 now I am guessing...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

DeVore wrote: »
    small guy, teachs maths, speaks with a lisp. He'd be 65 maybe 70 now I am guessing...

DeV.
    Love that guy, he got me through maths...he's on the Institute site so I'd guess he's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

well maybe he teaches on weekends or something,there are loads of teachers that come in for the friday or sat grinds, but Im pretty sure he doesnt teach there full time, havnt even heard of him in 2 years ..and I dont recognise the pic...sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I hope so. Best teacher I ever had, and the nicest too. I'd advise anyone to take his class of the other guy (who wrote the book). Johnny Browne's classes are smaller and better taught.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, he taught me Maths in Belvedere. Just wondered if he was still at it. Best teacher in the business! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

He taught you maths in Belvedere DeV? I'm guessing not too recently because I'm out of there a year ago and there was no Brown maths teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

that pig , yes he is still in the institute, i had him for 6th year maths 2 years ago. i hated him, he treated me like **** which didnt go down to well with me and i made that clear in front of the class and made a show of him. he was a horrible man and caused me to have no maths teacher for the last few months before the leaving. he made many people cry in my year,hardly anyone liked him

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Hi, Johnny Brown retired from all teaching (including at the Institute) last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

glad to hear it ,pity it wasnt sooner:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

leesmom wrote: »
    that pig , yes he is still in the institute, i had him for 6th year maths 2 years ago. i hated him, he treated me like **** which didnt go down to well with me and i made that clear in front of the class and made a show of him. he was a horrible man and caused me to have no maths teacher for the last few months before the leaving. he made many people cry in my year,hardly anyone liked him

Odd that you had that impression of him, he taught me applied maths for two years and I thoroughly enjoyed his classes. Yeah, he'd take the mick out of students for doing stupid stuff like falling asleep but I don't remember him being cruel about it.

He could certainly be intimidating at times, since he expected everyone to make an effort and he tended to pitch his lessons a little harder than a lot of other teachers did. You really had to work in his classes. I know a few people in my year who had him for maths complained that it was hard to keep up, but I don't think any of them suffered for it.

One year (maybe when I was in 3rd year) he was in charge of discipline for our year. People didn't like him then since he was a stickler for the rules and rarely (if ever) forgot to follow up on punishments. Understandable in hindsight though, from both points of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeyjfxc

Obviously everyone's experience of the guy is subjective but if a man can not only make me comfortable with maths but actually enjoy it, credit to him. i distictly remember that man being a hero. slick wheels too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

mickeyjfxc wrote: »
    Obviously everyone's experience of the guy is subjective but if a man can not only make me comfortable with maths but actually enjoy it, credit to him. i distictly remember that man being a hero. slick wheels too!

I know you're new, but look at the date of the post before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeyjfxc

Lad, some things just need to be said. If I could immortalise that man in some way I would. Saw the date, just didn't heed it.

Advertisement