Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Replacing Engine in a 95 Subaru WRX

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

I've just about the engine out of my car, at least one of the pistons is gone, I've been told once a piston goes in a subaru kiss the engine goodbye...

Can I just replace the damaged piston and hope for the best?

Where can I get a block, been quoted €2500 from subaru just for the block.....

Any place in Ireland refurbish engines....any place deal in second hand ones?

Any ideas welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I assume the piston damaged the bore? If so, might it be as easy to get an engine out of another car? I'm no expert, but I can't see a new block & rebuild making any financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There is a second hand engine of scooby wrx in the garage I work. I think its a 1995 too. Its just left there and there waiting for someone to buy it. PM me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

id rebuilt it if iwere u and plan on keeping the car tat way u know wat u have if the bore is damaged u can get the block rebored and fit an oversized piston

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

id rebuilt it if iwere u and plan on keeping the car tat way u know wat u have if the bore is damaged u can get the block rebored and fit an oversized piston

I was playing around with the Idea but it seems very expensive to do a rebuild, I might keep it as it's standing me a small fortune , lifting it out tomorrow night.....just one bolt left to come out.....

Ok Engine is out, pretty simple job looking back, only setback was not knowing to release the clutch before trying to pull the engine out.....that wasted about 3 hours and ended with a phone call to the local subaru garage...

Complete engine is out, turbo, manifold, looms etc, seems like there's a slight rattle in the turbo so that's got me looking for a complete engine maybe out of a crashed subaru....

Finding it very hard to source an engine at reasonable money.....

Anyone know any subaru breakers, i'm told any subaru ej20 engine will fit as long as I use my heads...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Presume you saw post 3 above?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Presume you saw post 3 above?

It's got a worn crank, so it would need to be stripped and rebuilt...it's not really the route I want to go down, been offered a whole car for 1500 with a worn crank...

My technical advisor has told me to stay clear of worn engines....

Been offered another engine for €450, the guy bought it as working to put into his own car but never used it (highly suspicious) I don't know of any way to test an engine before I put it in, it could be a lot of work for nothing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Dont use a second hand engine from a subaru, you could have another failure 2 weeks later and be in the same boat. Buy a brand new bottom end is my advise.

Buy a new oil pump and modine aswell.

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Dont use a second hand engine from a subaru, you could have another failure 2 weeks later and be in the same boat. Buy a brand new bottom end is my advise.

Buy a new oil pump and modine aswell.

It's the sheer cost of it that's putting me off going to subarau, I gave them €1500 to do the heads and a few other bits and pieces, I didn't even get 500 miles before the piston went.....

I've been following the budget diy rebuild on scooby net but I think the fella is gone a little overbaord at this stage , great post http://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/679742-budget-diy-engine-rebuild.html

Your bang on about the oil pump and the modine....

Anyone know who ireland's biggest breaker is, traynors have no engines in stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i had a subaru legacy 2 litre turbo, engine went after 3 days driving.

lets just say im never buying a subaru ever again.

they are the softest engines cars in the world

go over to www.isdc.ie/discussion

thats the irish subaru drivers club, theyre technical forum can help u if you decide to try it yourself, or theyre subaru sales forum might have what your after.

good luck, my advice, fix it and sell it

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »

I've never had so much trouble with a car and it's all engine related....how the thing won a world rally is beyond me, they must have had a 2 trucks following them around full of spare engines....

Fix it (as cheaply as possible), NCT it and sell it, that's the plan...

the worst thing about it is the piston went on the way back from the nct center, it failed on emissions only :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Originally Posted by copeyhagen

What do you expect when you buy a car designed for the domestic japanese market that is supposed to run on 100 octane fuel 3 days is not bad considering the fuel here is crap and normally runs aroun 93 ron .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If you can get your hands on a B4 engine throw that in. My GF's cousin has a b4 engine in his 95 scooby. apparently they are the most reliable of the subaru engines but don't quote me on that!

just my 2 cents
    hope you get it sorted buddy! :)

What do you expect when you buy a car designed for the domestic japanese market that is supposed to run on 100 octane fuel 3 days is not bad considering the fuel here is crap and normally runs aroun 93 ron .

actually i was running mine on the 99 ron maxol petrol and using an octane booster to bring it up around 102.

thanks for presuming i hadn't a clue

Doesent say much for Maxol 99 ron then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

just wondering, is a 13 year old subaru worth fixing? Not slagging your car mate, but it seems an awful lot of time, effort and money for something that age.

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Doesent say much for Maxol 99 ron then.

:D

actually i was running mine on the 99 ron maxol petrol and using an octane booster to bring it up around 102.

Subaru fitted one of these to my fule line http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/ they charged me €150 and told me this would boost the octane level of the fuel and stop my piston from melting, what a complete crock of ****, I really should have taken the ****ers to the small claims court.....

pred racer wrote: »
    just wondering, is a 13 year old subaru worth fixing? Not slagging your car mate, but it seems an awful lot of time, effort and money for something that age.

It might be 13 years old but it will still eat most modern cars for breakfast, 300bhp and 4 wheel drive, it didn't win the WRC in 1995 for nothing.....

Subaru fitted one of these to my fule line http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/ they charged me €150 and told me this would boost the octane level of the fuel and stop my piston from melting, what a complete crock of ****, I really should have taken the ****ers to the small claims court.....

They are pure crap and do not work, may even make the fuel weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

It might be 13 years old but it will still eat most modern cars for breakfast, 300bhp and 4 wheel drive, it didn't win the WRC in 1995 for nothing.....

It won't eat much in its present state , only a bigger hole in your pocket.

wouldn't throw good money after bad , bin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

i wasnt suggesting you hadnt a clue just ill informed !

Using Octane booster is actually worse for these type of cars especially turbo charged japs as it creates pockets of high octane fuel as its not properly mixed when added to the tank. Result 1 blown engine

so can anyone help me, have the engine more or less stripped, will be taking the heads off tomorrow evening, nothing holding them in now only 4 bolts....but what will I do then?

Anyone crash a wrx with a good engine latley?

If I just replace the piston with the hole in it, would I get away with it?

Advertisement