Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Revision Book for Higher Maths?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here could recommend a revision book for higher level Maths, I have just finished 5th year and would like to continue it(summer text went ok, not great, so I am hoping to improve). I am looking for a book which would explain how to approach the questions, the methods used to solve them and the theory behind them, rather than one which simply writes out the answer. I'd like to understand everything I'm doing and why I'm doing it. :) One which clearly identifies every topic which may come up in each section would also be useful, and possibly outlines which ones are most common in the exam!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Celtic press do a book of solutions to all past papers, you can buy it in most bookstores. I thought it was a great help. And study hard for maths!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

oops.. didnt read your whole msg. I dont know of any books but if you really want to do maths and need it for a course id say get grinds, ask the grinds teacher to explain everything clearly, and if you think he/she isnt clear enough, ditch him/her and get another and keep doing it until you find a teacher you're happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I really don't know if revision books are the best option for you. The revisions books' aim is to compress the course for rapid digestion, and this doesn't seem to suit your needs as outlined in your post.

I think a better course of action would be to work through your textbook slowly and try to fill in any blanks that arise yourself and ask for help if you can't. You're on the internet. They're are tons of forums full of nice people who would be happy to help you. (Such as boards! And while I don't wanna be a traitor to Boards, this place is a godsend if you need help with maths.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Revise Wise is quite good I found. PM me if you'd like to purchase my old ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

The Walsho wrote: »
    Snake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

The Walsho wrote: »

Yeah the layout of Revise Wise is probably better than the layout of all the other revision books. Everything is broken down nicely with lots of colour - makes it easier to understand but it does leave out a few topics within chapters. Way better than Less Stress... though!

Advertisement