Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratification continued after Constitution failure in France...Sinn Fein delusional?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I posted this in a thread a few days ago, but I just had to open this thread and say it again because I've just seen Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin of Sinn Fein saying on the 6-one news that after the French rejected the Constitutional treaty the "ratification process ended" and that the same thing should happen now.

I was stunned at this direct lie... though I can see the twisted logic somewhat... Ireland suspended plans for a referendum pending a resolution (but did not abandon the treaty) and the other countries... well they are Sinn Fein after all (which means "ourselves") so it doesn't really matter what the other countries did....

If you look here, you will see that several countries actually attempted ratification of the previous constitution after the failed France vote. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3954327.stm

Several ratified before France and then...

29 May 2005 France - failed
    1 June 2005 Netherlands failed
    2 June 2005 Latvia passed
    30 June 2005 Cyprus passed
    6 July 2005 Malta passed
    10 July 2005 Luxembourg referendum passed
    25 October 2005 Luxembourg parliament ratified
    5 December 2006 Finland passed.

Also, I've been reviewing that video someone referred to on youtube with Bertie talking about the constitution in 2007. In his nice Bertie way he's saying things similar in content, though different in tone to what the other European leaders are saying now...paraphrasing... "it is a problem... but 18 countries have ratified... we need to move forward... Ireland is ready to ratify when we resolve these problems... maybe we can make some small changes..."

So, this has happened before, and ratification continued with the support of Ireland. It didn't come to anything, but the states tried. Why are we lambasting them now for the same thing?

Ix.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Funny how two other countries ratified the Constitution by referendum, Spain and Luxembourg, yet the Constitution and Lisbon are only ever considered the one and the same document when discussing the France and Holland rejections. And not when someone is spinning that we are the only country to have voted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

ixtlan wrote: »
    Why are we lambasting them now for the same thing?

Ix.

*because a few people honestly think other European countries are not democratic since they didn't get a vote (well who cares about Luxembourg right?) by the people ignoring the fact that other countries work slightly different (calling for a referendum in Germany might actually offend alot of people there who will remember Hitler)

*because Sein Fein have successfully hijacked this Treaty by spinning a web of lies and playing on the nationalistic feelings of the Irish for their own crazy agenda

*and yet other people think we are somehow "special" and any criticism goes in one ear and comes out of the other, the "how dare they criticize our democracy" / "the people have spoken" folk

*and finally there are the conspiracy theorists who think Europe (despite the excellent track record in relation to Ireland) is "out to get us"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

marco_polo wrote: »
    Funny how two other countries ratified the Constitution by referendum, Spain and Luxembourg, yet the Constitution and Lisbon are only ever considered the one and the same document when discussing the France and Holland rejections. And not when someone is spinning that we are the only country to have voted on it.

shows how inept the yes side were that they didn't use this information to their advantage.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

(well who cares about Luxembourg right?)

It could be equally said who cares about Ireland no?

Britain ratifies EU Treaty

1 hour ago
    Britain has become the 19th European Union country to ratify the Lisbon Treaty without a referendum, after the EU Amendment Bill completed its passage through Parliament.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gkplvjCa8wcTVFBHEbk9et6o1Yxg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It's all rather irrelevant the treaty ratified by this nations is dead anyway so leave them to it I guess. It is rather sad that Cowen hasn't respected the people's wishes though and announced the current treaty as dead yet considering he already said re-negotiation is not an option.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It's all rather irrelevant the treaty ratified by this nations is dead anyway so leave them to it I guess. It is rather sad that Cowen hasn't respected the people's wishes though and announced the current treaty as dead yet considering he already said re-negotiation is not an option.

it is important as political barganing chip, since most of the countries who ratified this will most likely ratify a lighter version of this treaty if its send their way again

Advertisement