Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Final Exam..... Applied Maths.....

Options
  • 18-06-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Anyone else a little annoyed? I know only a handful do it ( ~1000 ) but surely they could have squeezed it in somewhere a little earlier... My last exam was physics on Monday, Its such an agonising wait :D

I should go do some study but meh, the internet beckons.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

I've already had 3 exams this week so havent done any study for app maths.
    Id say ill do bout 2 hrs tonight and all day 2moro.
    Just prayin it all comes back to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

OMG do you have a 1000 fingers???

Realistically, Im kinda freaked. Ive engineering on Friday morning (and App Maths) and Im not confident. Havent been doing a load of study. Hopes it all comes back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

No, he just has really big hands.

Yeah I found the wait kinda annoying too, Ive done ok enough in my first few exams too, so I'm not very motivated to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's horrible. I've lost any motivation I may have had earlier in the exams. Being in "study mode" for over three weeks now is sucking the life out of me. I slept for over 12 hours last night for no apparent reason. Ugh. And the three exams this week (physics music app maths) I was hoping to be my main point-getting ones (after maths 1), but now I find like I couldn't care less.

Applied Maths after phyisics on Monday would have been nice, since they're both fairly logical subjects. I could see the problem though, since most people who do App Maths also do physics, and it'd be a long day. Still. I've done absolutely no app maths study today, been doing music all day (playing the piano counts as study, honestly ¬.¬)... it better be a nice paper.
    I've noticed a trend of it getting easier over the years.. that or I'm just getting better. When I started my papers at the back, at 94 I was just depressed. I got the entire 2007 paper done in a little over 2 hours...
    So, as much as we all hate to see the LC get dumbed down, for my own sake I'd like to see a nice paper on Friday. Give us a break, leaving cert, most of our friends have been on summer holidays for a week now...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Yup.
    I'd hate to end on a downer.
    I'm hoping to answers 7 questions in the exam...it's possible i'd say:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Imagine doing applied maths and ag science.I dont do both thank god but those who do take both subjects don't finish their leaving cert until 8pm on Friday.bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Imagine doing applied maths and ag science.I dont do both thank god but those who do take both subjects don't finish their leaving cert until 8pm on Friday.bummer
    But on the bright side th-
    sucks to be them.

I've got a stinking suspicion (I'm sure that's the term) that this one is gonna be super hard to counter the joke that was 2007. A fifth of the apt mathsers got an A1 in 2007. I don't see what's 'is face allowing that to continue

Don't say that! It will be lovely. ¬.¬

Anyway, 2006 was pretty easy too.

Ah now, 2006 had some hard ones, specifically 9 and 2. (If I remember correctly)

But yeah, hopefully the guy has lost his zest and is just writing the papers to get paid.......and not for a good time, like he usually does

On the plus side, tomorrow the pressure will really be on, and I'm gonna study into the night. Since we don't have to wake up till 1: 50 tomorrow that should work out very well

• Advertisement

Ahh, I don't do 9, and 2 is never nice, because it's relative velocity. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Ahh, I don't do 9, and 2 is never nice, because it's relative velocity. Eugh.

+1! I really dont like this question either tbh, i dunno why but compared to the other questions this one has absolutely no appealing aspects,

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I'm not really too annoyed about it being on Friday, since I've Music tomorrow as well, so it wasn't just a lone exam ages after all my other ones.

Hopefully it will be a nice paper, I've put a fair bit of work into it this week (avoiding music completely, whoops) so it'd be annoying if it was just really hard for some reason. But the way I see it, they're never going to make more than a couple questions very difficult, at most!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

raah! wrote: »
    A fifth of the apt mathsers got an A1 in 2007. I don't see what's 'is face allowing that to continue

Seriously? I do remember coming out of the test thinking it was way too easy, but still that's a crazy figure.

Yup, 20-somethign percent, so more than a fifth even.It would be on here, that's where I got it www.examinations.ie . Look for the chiefs report.. or something along those lines, the statistics are everywhere anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Dropping down to Ordinary Level on the day, need all the points I can get after the Accounting fiasco :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Seriously? I do remember coming out of the test thinking it was way too easy, but still that's a crazy figure.

(Bows head in shame at pitiful A2) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Decerto wrote: »
    +1! I really dont like this question either tbh, i dunno why but compared to the other questions this one has absolutely no appealing aspects,

I actually really like relative velocity, I think it's cause it's so different, you kinda have to think outside the box. Now statics, there's a useless question. Zero enjoyment there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

you guys think 2006 question 2 was hard???
    Thank god. was decide to split my revision over the 2 days.
    questions 1,2 and 3 today and 4,5 and 10 on thursday.
    Tried 2006 as the paper i would use to go over them.

found #2 to be a real hard one. A part took a good while to get wrong :D

will be heading into school on friday to do a day of maths before the exam.

you guys think 2006 question 2 was hard???
    Thank god. was decide to split my revision over the 2 days.
    questions 1,2 and 3 today and 4,5 and 10 on thursday.
    Tried 2006 as the paper i would use to go over them.

found #2 to be a real hard one. A part took a good while to get wrong :D

will be heading into school on friday to do a day of maths before the exam.

NO NO NO! do applied maths!! it will help alot more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Damn about 2007... I'm praying for an easy paper.

I gotta say I like Rel. Velocity, but I'm not a fan of statics. I love dynamics tho (I am odd). Should I prepare 7 questions, or will 6 get me through on the day? Learning Rigid Body Motion is possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The reason there are so many A1's in applied maths is cause most people who do it in their own time, outside school, and put in effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

I'm in two minds about the applied maths being so late. On the one hand, it's horrible having just that one hanging out there (my last exam was physics), but it's great to have the couple of days to study...so what the hell am I doing on here? :D Anyways, yeah, praying for an easy paper, I'm good with method but surprises screw me up! I'm hoping to do well enough, I have five good questions prepared, and then I'll do one of my weaker two, depending on which one looks easier out of Q.2 and Q.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

I'm sitting the exam but I've never gone to a class/done a question. Ever.

Any tips? I'm hoping my usual A grades in maths + physics (both honours) should stand to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Lmao, dude you have no chance. Don't even bother wasting your time.
    You might be able to make an attempt at Q1a but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Anyone else a little annoyed? I know only a handful do it ( ~1000 ) but surely they could have squeezed it in somewhere a little earlier...

If they did that, then some other exam would be the final exam, and then people doing that subject would come on here and say the same thing :D

How could you possibly be annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I've already had 3 exams this week so havent done any study for app maths.
    Id say ill do bout 2 hrs tonight and all day 2moro.
    Just prayin it all comes back to me!

exact same for me. its so unfair. everyone else doing applied maths has had the whole week to study. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

here's my predictions for the exam:

for relative velocity : crossroads and wind appears to blow q

for newton's laws : wedge

for statics : joint rods

for differential eq : power or resistance

for moments of inertia : disc proof , disc rolling down an inclined plane

collisions : angle of deflection

circular : horizontal elastic bands & motion in a horizontal circle

projectiles :probably hitting a target:pac:

Adventure wrote: »
    here's my predictions for the exam:

for relative velocity : crossroads and wind appears to blow q

for newton's laws : wedge

for statics : joint rods

for differential eq : power or resistance

for moments of inertia : disc proof , disc rolling down an inclined plane

collisions : angle of deflection

circular : horizontal elastic bands & motion in a horizontal circle

projectiles :probably hitting a target:pac:

Nice up till now I wasn't sure if I was even gonna do any projectiles revision, but I'll go over those target questions now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sholller17

Any tips? I'm hoping my usual A grades in maths + physics (both honours) should stand to me...

I did that for summer exam last year in applied maths. never opened a book before it and got 40percent. pretty usesless though. you should study q1, 4 and 10 and five.

Advertisement