Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Final Exam..... Applied Maths.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I'm sitting the exam but I've never gone to a class/done a question. Ever.

Any tips? I'm hoping my usual A grades in maths + physics (both honours) should stand to me...

... If you do 6 or more honours, theres no point, cuz AM wont count. I know people who get As in Maths and Physics and arent going to count Applied Maths probably.

It doesnt seem like an exam that youl just be able to do on the day, considering a lot of these people are ****ting it already :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Any tips? I'm hoping my usual A grades in maths + physics (both honours) should stand to me...

ahahaha :D

It really isn't anything like maths and it makes the physics mechanics section look like a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

skoool.ie > applied maths. Have a look through hydrostatics, differential equations, impacts/collisions, relative velocity and projectiles. Then practise a few Q1, Q2, Q3, Q5, Q9 and Q10s.

All the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

thb i like that Applied Maths is at the end. ITs a nice one 2 finish on,n it means ur not dreadin a crap subkect durin the whole leavin. Ive had 2 so far this week,so ive gotten time 2 study for Applide maths 2 which is handy.
    Wow,fair play dude if u can pass the Applied Maths exam without ever going 2 class r openin a book.Bu just 2 warn u as every1 has said,its compleately different to Maths,n the Physics Machinacs is nothing to it. That said,its a grand subject,n the markin scheme is so student friendly.ITs almost impossible 2 fail if u give 6 questions an attempt. Bu doin well 2 count it 4 points if ur hopin 4 As in Maths n Physics is another thing. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

there's no way you can get a good mark in applied maths without going to class. you can pass if you know the majority of the methods. Do Q1 and Q10, theyre the most maths related ones. the others would seem impossible if you hadnt seen the method before. look over sample questions and try your best! good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Stin

any chance someone could give me a hand with 2003 Q5 part B, its an impacts and collisions one. Im looking at the answer online, but i cant make sense of it, the bit where it says

tan(alpha)= -v/ [u sin(alpha)]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The mathsy stuff in physics is a walk in the park compared to applied maths.

Question 10 is basically just calculus though, so you may have a hope with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Stin wrote: »
    any chance someone could give me a hand with 2003 Q5 part B, its an impacts and collisions one. Im looking at the answer online, but i cant make sense of it, the bit where it says

Not an expert but maybe theres a trigonomic thingy in there, ie Log Tables :p

Velocity before = uCosai + uSinai

Velocity after = v1i + uSinai (Call the angle of this vector B)

These two vectors are perpendicular, so the product of their slopes (or the tan of their angle) is -1.

tanatanB = -1

tana = -1/tanB

tanB = uSina/v1

tana = -v1/usina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I'm actually frightened. Because of classics, I haven't studied at all... actually because I'm lazy I haven't studied at all, and now it's pretty much the day of the exam and all I've done is google applied maths! Oh dear...

• Advertisement

ahhhh, thanks cokehead mother. these Q5's are actually quite doable. thats the only one so far out of like 10 questions that gave me trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

EDIT:meh, went wrong way bout it, don't mind me, just passing through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

That stin guy must be ****ing hideous. I can't believe he couldn't get that question. What a retard.

P.S has anyone ever seen a question 4 with a relative acceleration wedge/object and friction?

what a piece of ****

raah! wrote: »
    That stin guy must be ****ing hideous. I can't believe he couldn't get that question. What a retard.

Well that was certainly nasty and unjustified.
    raah! wrote: »
    P.S has anyone ever seen a question 4 with a relative acceleration wedge/object and friction?

I've seen friction between the ground and wedge(1986), but I don't think I've come across one with friction between the wedge and the object.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

what a piece of ****

That's it, I'm gonna ****ing fight you. Get your fights out.

Cokehead : thanks, guess that can't be too hard, I'll give it a look over now.

Edit: God what a waste of time that was stin, I was sitting here refreshing for like an hour waiting for your response. So much fo applied maths.

It's ok I know stin, so I can fight him when I see him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

4.30 pm and its all over. Hoping for an easy paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

lets go **** last ****in test . please be kind mister examiner AAAAAAAAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

UUuuuuuuuggghhhhh.

Ah fúck it, it's summer now! :D

Advertisement