Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do games look a lot better in HD

• 18-06-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of picking up a HD TV, but I already have a decent sized widescreen and I'm not really bothered upgrading for anything other than a dramatic improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm thinking of picking up a HD TV, but I already have a decent sized widescreen and I'm not really bothered upgrading for anything other than a dramatic improvement.

I suppose it really depends on what you have at the moment and what your budget is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Well i have a 28 inch philips, crt i believe is the terminology, and i was considering a 32 inch philips hd, its 7 or 800 i think, that help much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

HD is a massive improvement.

Its hard to describe the difference. I think I know the TV and trust me you'll notice the difference.

I had a 32" CRT Philips in a house I stayed in during final year of college and when I got my 32" HDTV, I could see a massive improvement.

The thing is, since you have a 32" SDTV, you see the problems even bigger with SD so moving to HD will probably be a bigger improvement for you over someone going from a 14" to 32" HD ignoring the fact that the person would obviously notice the difference in screen size, the 14" SD image wouldn't actually look that bad because the image is so small, even if it was HD, you couldn't tell because the screen is so small.

Well i have a 28 inch philips, crt i believe is the terminology, and i was considering a 32 inch philips hd, its 7 or 800 i think, that help much?

CRT...the big ones?

Philips wouldn't be your best option as far as HD TV's would go though, but even if you just use the regular connection instead of the HD ones on a HD TV, there is a huge difference!

yeah the big ones, exactly! massive at the back.

Whats my best option hd wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes big difference.

i went from 28inch sony to a 42inch 1080p panasonic. it made GTAIV playable.

mind you that's on the ps3 so i don't know if xbox is different.

yeah the big ones, exactly! massive at the back.

Whats my best option hd wise?

If I were to buy one right now, I'd buy either a Panasonic or a Samsung, full HD TV and keep an eye on the contrast ratios too because they make a difference!

Ok, cheers for the advice, I'll keep it in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just make sure to read reviews before you buy or you might end up getting a herring. Some expensive models are crap and vice versa so spend a good while shopping around online.

You've got all the time in the world since you don't need a new TV but want to upgrade.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Short answer: YES!

I have a Samsung 27" (720p) and it is, simply put, amazing! Friend's have a 40" Sony Bravia, but mine actually looks better (they admit so themselves). I find too that having that size of a screen is just about as big as you'd want as you'll need to be able to see everything on the screen (maps/radars in corners, hud info etc) and on a big telly you'll have to sit further back and won't be able to make out the detail.

I'd definitely buy Samsung again, can't fault it. Got my brother a 22" monitor for a pc I built him at Christmas and he says there's no comparison to any other he's used or looked at for extended periods. I also use mine as my PC's monitor. Sounds a bit daft as it's a fairly low resolution for a PC, but the benefit is, games run in that res (vs 1680X1050 that's native on my bro's monitor), the video card isn't under as much pressure so I can turn details up etc and it squeezes that extra 6 months to a year out of the card (8800GTX).

• Advertisement

HD makes a huge difference to the quality of the picture.

I recently went from a 28" widescreen to a 47" flat screen.

When I first connected it, I remember thinking "Jesus, niicccceee!" and then my wife pionted out I hadn't changed the PAL setting to HDMI.

So I went and changed the settings. Instantly we both noticed a massive, massive difference to the quality of the picture - and if my wife notices it, it's really noticeable!

The picture was way sharper, the colours more defined and having a big ass TV to play my games on (she thinks it was for watching TV, but I know otherwise!) was nice too.

In short, I'd recommend HD for the X Box to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

As above! i've a 42inch plasma & 32in LCD and the picture quality is a massive improvement on both when compared to standard def, the 32 inch is only a crappy cheap hd screen but it still looks really good!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Definately a big improvement, actually I've found it impossible to read text in many games such as dead rising or the mobile in GTA4 in SD, on 24, 26" etc CRT tellys. Deffo go for it, it is a huge improvement imo

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I had my xbox360 for about 1 month and I had to buy one, put it on the credit card and was paying it for ages but dont regret it.

Guy in another forum on tv's was saying that Panasonics were the best. He knew everything about them and said to avoid the run of the mill Sony HD's as they were crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't have a 360 but from playing my friends on his standard tv it's hard to notice a difference between his original xbox and his 360. Then he got a 50 inch hdtv and the difference is mindblowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

yoyo wrote: »
    Definately a big improvement, actually I've found it impossible to read text in many games such as dead rising or the mobile in GTA4 in SD, on 24, 26" etc CRT tellys. Deffo go for it, it is a huge improvement imo

Nick

I'll second that. I was having to move from where I was sitting to get up and read the texts on GTAIV. 37" LG HDMI? Fuggedaboutit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Keith186 wrote: »
    Guy in another forum on tv's was saying that Panasonics were the best. He knew everything about them and said to avoid the run of the mill Sony HD's as they were crap.

Panasonic are very good, as are most Samsungs, Sony are generally good but Pioneer are the pinnacle! but ridiculously expensive......
    Ay Cee wrote: »
    Fuggedaboutit!

I actually lol'd! :)

Advertisement