Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should FX be included in the Music Production forum?.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

In recent posts questions were put about the suitability of FX, special effects such as DMX, lighting and other stage enhancements are included in the music production forum.

I see FX and music production go hand in hand as any live band will eventually have to set up on stage and will need effects. Others say it belongs to the Dance, Electronic & DJing or the Bands & Musicians forums or even stage and drama. Should it have a forum of its own then?

Should FX & Lighting belong to the music production forum? 16 votes

FX & Lighting should have its own forum
    0% 0 votes
    FX & Lighting should be in the Music Production Forum
    50% 8 votes
    FX & Lighting should be in the dance, electronic & DJing
    37% 6 votes
    FX & Lighting should be in the Bands and musicians forum
    6% 1 vote
    atari jaguar
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yes, of course it does.

Its part and parcel of a live set up, like mics, pre amps, EFX, PA's, power amps, etc.

Yes there used by DJ's/Live bands but i fail to see why its not to be talked about here.

If its banned then I'll kiss this forum good bye. What 4 treads in and its taking this place down a notch!!

There is no way near enough traffic relating to it to warrant a sub forum at all.
    I'm a working musician and its of great interest to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes, of course it does.

Its part and parcel of a live set up, like mics, pre amps, EFX, PA's, power amps, etc.

Yes there used by DJ's/Live bands but i fail to see why its not to be talked about here.

If its banned then I'll kiss this forum good bye. What 4 treads in and its taking this place down a notch!!

There is no way near enough traffic relating to it to warrant a sub forum at all.
    I'm a working musician and its of great interest to me.
    I agree but I may often have questions on lighting and may have to put it in several forums to get the answers. I.e someone in the dance and electronic forum or bands and musicians forum may have the answers for but that person may not use this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

With all due respect, the boys in the DJ forums could do with spending a little more time in Music Production rather than the other way round.

In answer to the poll, 100% yes all the way. Personally I've more interest in moving lights than I do in the latest SSL desk or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Yes definitely. If people dont reply here its because they dont know! Its good that your asking questions about that side of it, brings a new angle to the forum and one which i would love to hear more about.

Savman wrote: »
    With all due respect, the boys in the DJ forums could do with spending a little more time in Music Production rather than the other way round.

In answer to the poll, 100% yes all the way. Personally I've more interest in moving lights than I do in the latest SSL desk or whatever.

DJ's, what do they know.... :o

Yes, more talk about this would be great, cause I'm only stepping into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah i'd like to see this kind of stuff in this forum, even if it's not music production or whatever.

Will be good for those inevitable wholly illegal summer-parties I have a tendency to get myself mixed up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I disagree think it has little to do with music production and I am not saying it is a bad discussion in any way.

Maybe there could be a forum 'Live music production FX and lighting'

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Yes, should be here, while a musician and DJ for many years, Ive only recently developed a necessity to know more about the production side as I started to do sound for the band. I would consider fx/lights as part of production. and as above, not sure it would warrant its own forum due to infrequency of posts on the subject

Just to add, Ive also only discovered the delights of this forum in the last few weeks and have already got a ton of help from the guys and picked so much out of the other threads that have been posted. My knowledge is growing exponentially since coming on here, cheers lads.

I really do not see the point in splitting it up into a live/studio forum.

They are Alien worlds to each other but its fine the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

thumpybum wrote: »
    Yes, should be here, while a musician and DJ for many years, Ive only recently developed a necessity to know more about the production side as I started to do sound for the band. I would consider fx/lights as part of production. and as above, not sure it would warrant its own forum due to infrequency of posts on the subject

Just to add, Ive also only discovered the delights of this forum in the last few weeks and have already got a ton of help from the guys and picked so much out of the other threads that have been posted. My knowledge is growing exponentially since coming on here, cheers lads.

I think it would be a very popular and interesting forum no doubt :)

• Advertisement

It's not like we have thousands of threads to sift thru and any more will crash the servers. Lighting is as much Music Production as anything else.

Let's look at some recent thread titles:
    Instrument Splitter Cable!!!
    What to charge?
    Headphone Advice
    Releasing Tracks
    Where would I get a power box for a PA system in Dublin.
    musicians earplugs???
    Building a Bose L1 beater.
    Paying for a mix

Some of those are more music "business" orientated than actual Production, but nobody complained so most definitely Lighting should be given equal leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

In recent posts questions were put about the suitability of FX, special effects such as DMX, lighting and other stage enhancements are included in the music production forum.

I see FX and music production go hand in hand as any live band will eventually have to set up on stage and will need effects. Others say it belongs to the Dance, Electronic & DJing or the Bands & Musicians forums or even stage and drama. Should it have a forum of its own then?

I don't think the suitability of non recording/audio stuff was actually questioned. Anything but.

I always think that the time for new or sub forums makes itself clear and I reckon we're a million miles away from needing one at this stage. If the forum got a rep for more non-audio related facets of music production then more people would be attracted to that side of things and it would develop further. Just put the threads up and the unwashed masses will follow. Anyways, aside from being a self recording musician and ex-engineer I actually make my living working on the concerts on screens so I'm 100% behind more live stuff being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

DJ's, what do they know.... :o

Only thing I can see, is how to really annoy sound engineers. Hehe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

And yes I think it should be a part of this forum.

Soundman wrote: »
    Only thing I can see, is how to really annoy sound engineers. Hehe...

Thats way i got my own FOH, no more annoying soundmen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I've worked in selling this stuff and you would honestly find more DJ asking about lighting than musicians/bands... i expect paul could verify this maybe... the ratio is about 1:100 :)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've worked in selling this stuff and you would honestly find more DJ asking about lighting than musicians/bands... i expect paul could verify this maybe... the ratio is about 1:100 :)
    I would say the same, most live bands would be quite content to using boaring stage washes and flood lights while DJs on the other hand would prefer use colourful gobos, lasers, moving heads and strobes. :)

Well they need SOMETHING to interest the crowd *Stir*

I would say the same, most live bands would be quite content to using boaring stage washes and flood lights while DJs on the other hand would prefer use colourful gobos, lasers, moving heads and strobes. :)

That's because they are booooooring to look at. :D

sei046 wrote: »
    Well they need SOMETHING to interest the crowd *Stir*
    frobisher wrote: »
    That's because they are booooooring to look at. :D

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This thread didnt get half the DJ contraversy it deserves!

This thread didnt get half the DJ contraversy it deserves!
    Ill drag some DJs over from the dance & electronic & DJing form, wait and see.

IMHO a lot of bands have a lot in common with a lot of DJs - they think they're far more interesting to watch than they actually are.;)

Coming from many bands, I wholeheartadly agree with that. I for one rock an awful lot more in my head than the crowd sees. They need to open their mind

:D

What happened here? The poll voting numbers nearly doubled without any jump in replies from forum users. Hhmm... If you ACTUALLY want to get a new forum this isn't the place to do it.

Coming from many bands, I wholeheartadly agree with that. I for one rock an awful lot more in my head than the crowd sees. They need to open their mind

I'd really hope people don't know what i'm thinking in my head at some of the gigs i play :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Savman wrote: »

Moving Lights Huh?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I don't think it would warrant a separate forum.

It's directly related to Live 'Music Production' and it's not as if the place is clogged up with posts even at the busiest times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement