Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattery in Kildare

• 18-06-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has used Harkins Cattery in Newbridge Kildare?

Was thinking of booking my two in for a week shortly and just wanted to see if anyone here has used them before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Banjoseph

I went there to have a look, didn't like it at all. The cats have to sleep in a drafty wooden box, and the so called heating is a naked light bulb inside the box. Might be okay if your cats are hardy outdoor types, but they are used to being indoors then I'd say no way.

You should probably go out and have a look yourself though, this is just my opinion as our cats are indoor cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Thanks for that.

Am going to have a look next week.

They aren't cheap! So will be expecting more than draughty boxes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

Try the Moggie Motel in Navan, people who run it are great, obviously really care about animals. My cats regularly holiday there and i have had no complaints.

Thanks Knuffel.

Navan would be a bit far for us. The cats would go mad in the car. Had heard of a place in Martinstown but I can't get through to it. The search continues anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Happy Hound and Perfect Puss send a van to collect your dog - I'm not sure what happens with cats; maybe they put cats in the front of the van.

Their cat accomodation is very nice, and not near where the dogs are. They're up in Cavan, and my dog came back *very* happy from there.

I brought my dog up there twice before sending her in, so she'd be accustomed to the place and know it when she arrived. Nice people running it - a former veterinary nurse and a former software engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Hey Clofty!

I couldn't recommend Martinstown cattery enough. Cliodhna - the owner, is fantastic and I wouldn't dream of leaving my two anywhere else. When I leave them there I never worry about them at all - as Cliodhna loves them and looks after all of the cats as though they were her own.

Check out http://www.martinstowncattery.com/

I used to use Harkins before Martinstown opened up, but I didn't find them particularly friendly there, maybe even slightly condescending, and at one time when I was in a rush dropping my cat off I didn't bring enough food for the week. They said they would give him the extra and add it to the bill at the end, but they didn't bother and he was definitely a bit thinner when I picked him up ! :mad: ?????

Anyway let me know if you need any more info on Martinstown.

MB

Thanks Mocking Burd. Will try to get through to Martinstown again today.

Cheers to everyone for your recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi clofty,

Cliodhna sometimes doesn't get calls because of bad reception in the cattery.

If you leave a message she'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just picked up my two cats from their 2 week stay in Martinstown on Saturday - and I would also really recommend this cattery. They were both obviously very relaxed there and comfortable, and Cliodhna texted me every few days with an update on how they were doing. They were both looking great after their stay.

Cliodhna obviously LOVES cats and loves all the kitties staying there - she knows all of their personalities and little likes and dislikes.

I really like the fact the cats have a little private "room" at the back of their enclosure which is heated - great for getting them settled in when they might be feeling insecure at the start.

I'll definitely be using it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JoBlog

I've used Harkins Cattery for years for my two darlings. Banjoseph was not very observant: the cat's bedroom is thoroughly insulated, draught proofed and has underfloor heating. When I collect my cats in the winter, their blanket is as warm as fresh toast!

Well at least Banjoseph recommended "taking a look for yourself". I could not agree more.

Each cat enclosure is a garden with grass, trees and shrubs and is six times more spacious than the biggest I've seen around and must be hundreds of times bigger than those awful little cages you see in some places.

And the whole cattery is surounded by a small forest - even the outside is not draughty!

Mocking burd's impression is not mine. Once I was due at the cattery at 4.0 pm - my flight was in the early hours next morning- but one of the darlings had been missing all day - I phoned the cattery worried - but yes they would take in the cats at whatever time. I arrived at 10.30 pm and there was no problem.

Yes well worth checking out for oneself.

My white cat always looks cleaner when I pick them up - it must be the country air - and they have never lost weight. I've noticed the long term boarders they sometimes have always look healthy and contented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I've been lucky in that I've never had to leave my cats anywhere yet, but if I had to, I'd go to the canine country club in sallins, even though I live in Wicklow. The setup for cats there is fantastic, it's on view to anyone that goes there. Each even have their own little chair to sit on.
    My dogs have stayed there & the level of care they got was second to none.
    I also get one of my cats groomed there (I've 9 & do my own, except Max, I value my life) & he loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I have used harkins for my 3 cats for 2 years now.

i do admit that they are a bit excentric...... but they know all the cats names. I think they are more comfortable with the cats than humans!!!

Its the nicest cattery i've come across,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cometgirl

I've used Harkins Cattery four times in the past two years both in mid winter and in summer and I will be using them again very soon. Both my cats are indoor cats. I have a male and a female and and they are both five (brother and sister). They enjoy each others company and will play together but never sleep together and are very different in personality but both love human company.

I chose Harkins because of the large 16 ft by 10 ft (at least) enclosures. I think this feature is wonderful. My two have plenty of room to roam and play around because although my cats are indoor cats they get plenty of roaming space at home. In particular the trees / bushes in the green space can be used as scratching posts and to climb as no doubt anyone who has cats know they love to do. Equally although my cats always share, there is ample space for them to be on their own. The last time I had them both there (May) Joe had lots of anecdotes to tell me about the pair of them which means that they are spending time with my kitties (including grooming them) which again to me is very important because they do get lonely for human company when we are away.

Finally many who have cats will know that sometimes when you come home after time away they can be a little off with you for leaving them and a little unsettled when they come home. Our two are never like that when we bring them home from Harkins.

I can't recommend them highly enough and I would very comfortably trust them with the care of my kitties.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Hey guys, this may be a lost cause but wondered if anyone had any advice! Im heading home to Kildare for Christmas and bringing my two cats with me. Unfortunately theres now a bit of hassle as a relative is coming on St Stephens Day and is severely allergic to cats. Im trying to see if theres a cattery available to take them in on that night but so far everywhere is booked or not answering - understandable at this late stage! Does anyone know of a cattery/cat minding service that I could try. As I said it might be a lost cause this close to Christmas but figured it was worth trying!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 belgianwaffles

On the strength of recommendations made in this forum, I began using Harkins' Cattery last year. I can report that I am delighted with the level of care they give each cat. My previous cat (an adventurous type who sadly passed away late last year) is very different to my current cat (very much an indoor cat), yet both were very much at home at Harkins'. The size of each enclosure is very generous and the wooden cat houses are well insulated and warm. There are no barking dogs in the lovely countryside setting. The people who run it know so much about cat psychology and take a real interest in your pet, telling you lots of things about them when you return to bring them home. They spend a lot of time with them.

Advertisement