Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fill me in on EU news

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi there Im living abroad and wondered whats being said in the news about the consequences of the no vote. Whats going to happen next? are we out? is there talk of another referendum? im confused reading all the topics and posts same way I was about the treaty referendum. What the bloody hell is going on over there?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

OK we've either:

- Saved democracy for the common man
    - Ruined the EU for everyone
    - Set Ireland on a course to economic ruin
    - Changed nothing
    - Stopped somebody giving us all abortions

take your pick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

jellybeans wrote: »
    What the bloody hell is going on over there?:confused:

not much, yet

Sein Fein and US Military contractors from Liberats have managed to dupe some people with a large selection of lies :pac::pac::pac:

they had a nice breakdown of the aftermath on irish times and irish independent and what are the possible directions we can move in, maybe most of these articles are available on their websites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

OK we've either:
    - Saved democracy for the common man

Yay:D
    - Ruined the EU for everyone

If you mean saved when you say ruined then I agree. Hopefully the imperialist vision of a european state is ruined, though I highly doubt that.
    - Set Ireland on a course to economic ruin

Along with Bertie leaving office was there really much hope for us anyway:rolleyes:
    - Changed nothing

In an unfortunate way, this certainly rings through.
    - Stopped somebody giving us all abortions

and miniture american flags too :(;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Over the next few months the rest of the EU countries will continue to ratify the Lisbon Treaty. If its blocked by another 1 or 2 countries then it'll be dead in the water. And we'll be looking at years before another solution to how Europe 'works' will be found.

If though the other 26 countries go ahead and ratify the vote then Ireland will probably be pushed to vote again but this time with guarantees from Europe regarding national defence/security/corporate tax.

The chance to renegotiate the treaty ended in Lisbon last year.

We're not leaving Europe.

My advice would be to take 90% of the posts on this forum with a grain of salt. There are some very good posters from both "sides" who can argue their point and post informed and intuitive posts but I agree that for someone who wants to figur out "what's going on" it can be very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

jellybeans wrote: »
    Hi there Im living abroad and wondered whats being said in the news about the consequences of the no vote. Whats going to happen next? are we out? is there talk of another referendum? im confused reading all the topics and posts same way I was about the treaty referendum. What the bloody hell is going on over there?:confused:

Essentially, we don't know. Until we know, we're speculating madly. The Yes side is disgruntled, and the No side is too, because voting No apparently didn't derail the ratification, which is a bit like the moment where the Terminator crawls out of an explosion. He might stagger a few steps and then fall over, but it looks like he's well able to go on.

People are still in their positions, in case there's a second go round...which looks increasingly likely.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Having looked at last weeks questions and answers show post referendum I get the impression the No Campaigners are thinking "oh no what have we done" the No campaigner from People before Profit really sounded like he hadn't thought this one through. When asked what next he kept just saying that the rest opf Europe should be given a voice. I really wanted to shout in his ear "ye that would be great if they were given a chance to voice their vote but now we have voted no whats your plan" seems he hadn't a clue in my eyes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ulster ROI says No to power sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

any news on how those meetings in Europe went today? any progression on our future?

Advertisement