Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists that you HATE (that everybody else likes!!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

El Pr0n wrote: »
    So when they stop sounding like a lot of other bands (leaving those bands behind?), they become 'posh boy rock'?

You love their music fair enough

i find it very cold and depressing, coming from guys from oxford and who come from very well to do backgrounds what the hell have they to moan and cry about. Thom yorke comes across like a tosser in that Radiohead Doc made during the Ok computer tour (a prima donna rock star). sorry but i'm not going to jump on bandwagon cause everyone thinks everything they do rocks
    go listen to Roxy music debut album i find it more interesting then what Radiohead have been churning out for the past 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

i find it very cold and depressing, coming from guys from oxford and who come from very well to do backgrounds what the hell have they to moan and cry about. Thom yorke comes across like a tosser in that Radiohead Doc made during the Ok computer tour (a prima donna rock star). sorry but i'm not going to jump on bandwagon cause everyone thinks everything they do rocks
    go listen to Roxy music debut album i find it more interesting then what Radiohead have been churning out for the past 12 years.
    Money ain't everything

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Money ain't everything

well i love money but i hate Radiohead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think a lot of people are just deterred by Thom's voice. I think it's great myself but I suppose it does have an inherent whine to it. Radiohead are far from public school boys making whingey music imo. Musically they're one of the only bands who I can say that each member is a smart unit in themselves and what they bring to the table.

Maybe it's that OK Computer very much dealt with the idea of paranoia and helplessness in a modern dystopia. I have to say that whilst this isn't life, it encapsulates a lot of people's very real fears of the direction the world is taking. They are making fantastic music but the lyrics are making statements and Thom's version of the ambiguous verse that verges on just abstract suggestions frees it from the idea that he's preaching through his music.

Take:
    While you make pretty speeches
    I'm being cut to shreds
    You feed me to the lions
    A delicate balance
    And this just feels like spinning plates
    I'm living in cloud cuckoo land
    And this just feels like spinning plates
    Our bodies floating down the muddy river

Now the music in that is savage. It's I Will played backwards I believe. I'm a huge fan of ambient music and this is ambient with a real sinister vibe. The lyrics are there making no real statement at all yet each line is hugely suggestive. It's far from gothic poetry or self indulgent **** in my opinion and in the end it's a lovely almost painterly track that most can relate to from just watching television.

As for Thom being a w*nker in Meeting People is Easy, I really don't reckon he is. He was just being treated like a Rockstar (most of whom ARE w*nkers) when he clearly didn't think of himself as one. Watch him onstage and you can see how into it he is and they definitely appreciate their fans. No band their size does so much to interact with them and to please them. The guy heckling him just seemed like a complete window licker.

All in all, I don't buy it when people says they say they don't like them because they're whingey. I think people just hate them because a lot of people love them, and they don't want to understand why. I've met so many people who said they hated them until they heard one or two tracks that they actually liked and then went to explore them more. At the same time I can accept people not being into that style of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Thom Yorke was having a nervous breakdown during the OK Computer tour, Radiohead almost collapsed with that tour and coming up to Kid A. You might have guessed by his general oddballishness that he's not the most normal of people. I don't think not being able to deal with pressure or fame or all the things that come with being labeled the 'best band in the world' or whatever is quite the same as being a 'prima donna rock star'.

As was already said, there's plenty to moan about when you're interested in climate change and politics like Thom Yorke is.

But none of that has anything to do with the music. Radiohead know how music works a lot better than most other bands around them. I hate deifying bands or musicians, and I know Radiohead get a lot of the "YOU ARE THE BEST BAND EVER YOU CHANGED MY LIFE" treatment. Meh. I'm a music fan and I appreciate what they do. I'm sure Thom Yorke would have been insufferable to have to live with and tour with around OK Computer, maybe even a chore (you can see that the rest of the band are sort of doing their best to keep him on track in Meeting People is Easy). But the band makes great music.

I think the 'well off background Oxford rich kids' is a pathetic argument to hold against a band. Like the only bands we should bother listening to have to come from awful childhoods with drug problems? Come on, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

Lady Gaga
    I just can't bring myself to listen to her 'songs', even if I tried. Find the songs repetitive and irritating and make my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bob Dylan
    Rolling Stones
    RHCP
    Bob Marley
    The Who
    Metallica
    AC/DC
    Pearl Jam
    ANY trad Irish ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Bob Dylan
    Rolling Stones
    RHCP
    Bob Marley
    The Who
    Metallica
    AC/DC
    Pearl Jam
    ANY trad Irish ****e

Any particular reasons??
    well i love money but i hate Radiohead

Well I see you've just admitted to liking Paolo Nutini so enough said.

Speaking of whom he's my nomination mainly because he is just irritating and completely incomprehensible

Any particular reasons??

Well I see you've just admitted to liking Paolo Nutini so enough said.

Speaking of whom he's my nomination mainly because he is just irritating and completely incomprehensible

stop being a music snob
    just cause i don't like radiohead doesn't mean B.S
    Give me something joyous to some who moans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Any particular reasons??

Huh?? Maybe you are taking the HATE thing a little too serious.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Justin Bieber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

I made it up and its a nice genre:D

Keane
    Coldplay
    Radiohead

Moan and complain cause Daddy and mummy didn't give 'em a hug as a child
    Listen to Kid A and Amnesiac and then tell me Keane and Coldplay sound like them.

You know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Republic of Loose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bob Marley
    The Ramones
    Muse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Oasis.

80s music. The cheesy stuff, that is. There was plenty of good bands about but they don't get played much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheVoid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

TheVoid wrote: »

I resisted R&B (modern stuff) for years because I always felt it doesn't measure up to classics. But then I discovered Erykha Badu, Kellis, Macy Gray, Barbara Kanam, Floetry...

Lady Gaga I still haven't made my mind up about her...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Pink Floyd! So bloody boooooring...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

So Monkeyjoyrider,
    you don't like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bowie, Prodigy, Nina Simone, Blur, The Pogues, Rory Gallager or Prince (all greats imo!), what do you actually like!? Susan Boyle and Cannibal Corpse!? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ItBeMe

U2
    The Police/Sting
    Florence & the Machine
    Michael Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Great thread
    A big **** you to -

The Beattles

Bob Dylan

UB40

The Prodigy

3-chord-Handsard

smash-your-chords-Rice

know-no-chords-Oasis and Blur

play-the-same-chords-artic monkeys

sknow-no-chords-patrol

93% of the known acts at oxygen

Ziggy pretentious dust

Nina simone

Rammstein(how the ****!!??)

The Zutons-The Libertines-Kaisercheifs-the fratellis-those-boring-minimalist-bands-with-no-evident-talent-whatsoever-from-liverpool

The Bores

Van Morrison

Sinead O Conner

The suicidal Saw Doctors

The slit your wrists Pogues

Its-been-done-Rory Gallagher.

I had to edit this post to include Metallica, pure, unadulterated butt****.

But the winner must go to that humanoid nymph snake, smarmy born again guitar fornicater Prince.

That post is so full of fail its not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Florence & The Machine (her voice KILLS me) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

david gray , cant stand the head nodding whinger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Who the hell is Ziggy Dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭shamsteak

The Frames, Damien Dempsey, Damien Rice, Pink, RATM, Directors, Bell x1, Coronas, Saw Doctors, Paulo Nutini, All Irish country singers, Shane Mc Gowan, anything thats manufactured..Let me go and think up a few more

Paddy Casey, Led zepplin (probably the only man alive that does not like zepplin) chilli peppers used to be good,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Sting.

Michael Jackson. Really annoying when he died and absolutely every fecking club played his songs even ones that never played them when he was alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Bootsy. wrote: »
    Pink Floyd! So bloody boooooring...
    OMG!!!! Pink Floyd it like the best band EVER!!!!!
    I HATE Justin Goddamn Beiber!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE !!!!!!!

PINK FLYOD !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Metallica have entered this list for me... Way overhyped and havent released a semi-decent album in nearly 20 years sure... GTFO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

DEF LEPPARD - Walking "Shark Sandwich" review.
    MARK RONSON - Should have a trumpet stuck his jaxy.
    TOOL - No time for them at all.
    M. PEOPLE!!! - Luckily enough they're gone now but they were HUGE ( in terms of popularity not height) in the 90's.
    RUPUBLIC OF LOOSE, ASLAN, THE CORONAS, CHRISTY ****in' MOORE- I could name loads more overrated Irish acts that I dislike.

Not an artist now but a song that annoys me would be the national anthem "Amhran na bhfiann" and "Irelands Call" to boot I'm not a fan of them being played at the end of social occasions....though I should add I'm not a fan of any national anthem or the idea of a nations anthem.

Ha it really does feel great to get that off the chest!! :D

Advertisement