Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stuttering kompressor engine

Options
  • 18-06-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

i drive a 2003 model e200 with 47k mls . In the last couple of weeks it has recently started stuttering/jerking erratically when accelerating, especially if going up a hill. I initially put it down to dirty petrol but now i am not so sure could it be the spark plugs - they are due replacement at 50k mls or something more inister like an oxygen sensor or Maf - are these expensive to replace ?
    any ideas out there as I dont want to start spending a fortune that may not be necessary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the kompressor has to be re-built every 50k.... but yeah a service would also be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

S.I.R wrote: »
    the kompressor has to be re-built every 50k.... but yeah a service would also be a good idea.

Utter rubbish.

OP. As it happens under load it sounds like a misfire. The problem is that could be caused by a number of things. You really need to have it diagnosed.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S.I.R, take your foot out of your mouth!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

coil packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 teddyk

Most likely the problem is your MAF (aka MAS) - Mass Airflow Sensor. It could be either dirty or needs replacing. I have a 1999 C230 K and had a similar issue a while back. It is a pretty easy job to change it out yourself.
    See the following link for a how-to for cleaing it yourself - you will have to register to view it, but the site is well worth being a member of.
    Also make sure that the jubilee clips that connect the air pipes to the MAF are well secured, as any air leaks/escape will affect how the MAF performs.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25775

I am in no way affiliated with that site, other than having used it reeatedly in the past for information.

Regards,

teddyk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SCOT1

Hi
    I too have an E200 Komp 2203, 66K miles and it too stutters up hills, or when I accelerate or have a heavy load. I change spark plugs but didn't help. A mercedes mechanic told me that it was a common fault caused my micro fracture in cooling radiator which allows coolant to mix with transmission oil. Mercedes advice is to replace radiator, transmission fluid and possibly torc converter. To do this is major job including removing gearbox- estimated cost of €3K.

Anybody got any other views on this?

Regards
    Scot1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

your MAF or MAS (same things) are more than likely the cause of your rough idling and stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

SCOT1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I too have an E200 Komp 2203, 66K miles and it too stutters up hills, or when I accelerate or have a heavy load. I change spark plugs but didn't help. A mercedes mechanic told me that it was a common fault caused my micro fracture in cooling radiator which allows coolant to mix with transmission oil. Mercedes advice is to replace radiator, transmission fluid and possibly torc converter. To do this is major job including removing gearbox- estimated cost of €3K.

Anybody got any other views on this?

Regards
    Scot1

How would coolant mix with transmission oil? There is no connection (unless Merc have introced watercooled transmission lately :D)

Are you trying to pull our legs here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There may be an oil cooler integrated into the radiator?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    There may be an oil cooler integrated into the radiator?

Even that would only affect engine oil ...and I've never heard of an integrated/combined oil-water cooler ...they tend to keep them separate for a reason.

But the gearbox is yet another story altogether ...it is neither connectd to the coolant circuit nor the oil circuit of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SCOT1

They have to remove gearbox to replace torc converter- not because gearbox is damaged. The mechanic belongs to a top merc dealership.

SCOT1 wrote: »
    They have to remove gearbox to replace torc converter- not because gearbox is damaged. The mechanic belongs to a top merc dealership.

Your torque converter my well be broken ...I just can't imagine that it's got anything to do with coolant getting into it

The problem as posted by Scot1 is common. There is a trans oil cooler built into the rad. The seal between the trans oil and coolant leaks and allows coolant to mix with the trans fluid.
    There is a test for this to prove it. The test involves the use of a test paper like litmus paper that will turn colour if there is glycol present in the trans fluid.

OP. You will be lucky to get away with just a fluid change and torque converter. It is also possible to get the problem sorted a lot cheaper than the dealer can do it and to exactly the same standard.

The problem as posted by Scot1 is common. There is a trans oil cooler built into the rad. The seal between the trans oil and coolant leaks and allows coolant to mix with the trans fluid.
    There is a test for this to prove it. The test involves the use of a test paper like litmus paper that will turn colour if there is glycol present in the trans fluid.

I stand corrected ...but I wouldn't have thought it possible :rolleyes:

Who in their right mind would combine an oil cooler and a water radiator in one and the same housing?

Another triumph for the cost cutters and the consumer pays the bill

peasant wrote: »
    I
    Who in their right mind would combine an oil cooler and a water radiator in one and the same housing?

Another triumph for the cost cutters and the consumer pays the bill

It is very common and has been for years. The problem is that they didn’t give much trouble in the past but do now. I would tend to agree that this issue is due to cost cutting more than anything else. When engineers start to build cars again instead of accountants we will be better off.**

**At least the customer will be better off, I will be way poorer. :)

Advertisement