Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its time to leave Europe

Options
  • 18-06-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Weighing up the pros and cons its time for Ireland to leave Europe. Its only a matter of time before the Uk does and Ireland should do it first.

The grants have run out and the embargos, bans and quotas makes Europe unsustainable for the Irish economy.

We cannot meet their expectations and we need to rejuvenate our fishing and farming markets. The Swiss have negotiated much better trade deals as a result of being independent, Ireland should follow this example.

Pull out and save our economy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Gareth37 wrote: »
    The grants have run out

What a fantastically mature reason to leave "Europe"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I think you meant to say "pull out and ruin our economy" no? As, you're not seriously suggesting that leaving the EU will be good for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Its the same reason why every american company will have left Ireland by 2015 so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

[british accent]You, sir, are an idiot.[/british accent]

The only reason this country is on it's knees right now, and wasn't for the last 20 years is the EU. There is no logical reason for leaving the EU.

Mena wrote: »
    I think you meant to say "pull out and ruin our economy" no? As, you're not seriously suggesting that leaving the EU will be good for Ireland?

Our farming, tourism and fishing industries have been destroyed. We cannot export houses to Europe.

We have nothing to export so what is the point staying in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Our farming, tourism and fishing industries have been destroyed. We cannot export houses to Europe.
    Are you saying they would have been sustained or will be sustained outside Europe? How do we compete against lower cost farm/fishery producers? Impose tarriffs? Would they impose tarriffs on us?

Nothing? Is all we do here farming, tourism and construction? How exactly does this place survive?

Ireland Exports $102 billion f.o.b. (2005 est.)
    Exported goods machinery and equipment, computers, software, chemicals, pharmaceuticals; live animals, animal products
    Main export partners : United States 18.7%, United Kingdom 17.3% (EU), Belgium 15.1% (EU), Germany 7.3% (EU), Netherlands 4.8% (2005) (EU)

Troll much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Isn't this country "Technically" one of the largest exporters of software in the world, due to Oracle, Microsoft, HP etc being here and using this as the base to ship software all over europe?

Leave the EU and I'm pretty sure those companies will leave here like the proverbial "Hot Snot".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Thread brings the LOL's.

Isn't this country "Technically" one of the largest exporters of software in the world, due to Oracle, Microsoft, HP etc being here and using this as the base to ship software all over europe?

Leave the EU and I'm pretty sure those companies will leave here like the proverbial "Hot Snot".

They will leave when their IDA grants run out, thats the only reason US companies are here. Europe was good for grants, thats all.

We are an island surrounded by water and our fishing industry has been destroyed.

We are a very rural country and Europe are trying to phase out our farming (and succeeding).

Our economy is gone either way but I really think that feeding into their pot is not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They will leave when their IDA grants run out, thats the only reason US companies are here. Europe was good for grants, thats all.
    Europe is quite a large chunk of our export market; which is where these US MNC want to export to. We speak English and aside from that, many of their CEO are "Irish" and will locate here for a start. They pick us, because they only pay 12.5c in the Dollar here in CT as opposed to 30 odd in the UK and up to the high 50s in places. If we pull out "Europe" can tax our good out of the reasonable price range, not that the idiots at ICTU aren't doing their best to succeed at that with wage demands anyway.
    We are an island surrounded by water and our fishing industry has been destroyed.
    Again, it's up to the fishermen to compete. I mean if 10 skippers have 10 boats and can't compete with a factory ship.....NEWSFLASH....pool your resources and you CAN FFS
    We are a very rural country and Europe are trying to phase out our farming (and succeeding).
    Farmers are doing a pretty good job of it themselves if you ask me. The EU is paying them a fortune to sustain their lifestyle. Withdrawing would lead to many farms going under due to the on farm mismanagement that has prevailed since the 1950s
    Our economy is gone either way but I really think that feeding into their pot is not going to help.

Our economy will recover with the strengthening economies of Europe once we remain part of the structure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Maybe we won't have a choice...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Weighing up the pros and cons its time for Ireland to leave Europe. Its only a matter of time before the Uk does and Ireland should do it first.

The grants have run out and the embargos, bans and quotas makes Europe unsustainable for the Irish economy.

We cannot meet their expectations and we need to rejuvenate our fishing and farming markets. The Swiss have negotiated much better trade deals as a result of being independent, Ireland should follow this example.

Great idea, the swiss argicultural model is definately the way to go. Lets subsidise 70% of our agricultural market instead of the measly 35% currently.

http://www.traveldocs.com/ch/economy.htm

Their fishing sector is in tatters as well so best not to follow their lead on that either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I agree, we should leave Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Any reason why we should leave, or just for the fun of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

mwnger wrote: »
    Maybe we won't have a choice...
    lol, brilliant.

OP, I'm curious how you think Ireland will survive without the EU, since apparently we export bugger all and all our industries are in tatters?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

humanji wrote: »
    OP, I'm curious how you think Ireland will survive without the EU, since apparently we export bugger all and all our industries are in tatters?
    The "heroes" of 1916 will be raised from the dead to lead us into a glorious neo-nationalist era!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ireland exports 63% of its goods within the EU (compared to 18% to the US).

How would pulling out of the EU, making it difficult for our export industry to export with the EU block, "save" our economy.

You say we should pull out because the grants are gone?

Why?

What in your opinion is the damage to be caused to the Irish economy by staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

if we leave the EU, should we apply to become the 51st state of the United States of America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Mad suggestion, stay in, and make sure it remains a purely economical union.

• Advertisement

Mad suggestion, stay in, and make sure it remains a purely economical union.

It's already to some extent a political union. The economic, political and social spheres can't be completely separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No way can we leave Europe. We would be finished economically and very vulnerable. What currency would we have if we did, the Punt or keep the Euro? No whether we like it or not we are locked in the EU for as long as it lasts. The UK has a bigger pop. than us with a massive financial sector and industry so can still keep its own currency. We are just small fry and need the support of EU club. Maybe in 100 years time we might have a choice but not now IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

People have to realize that posters like Kev_PS3 do not understand the idea of a consequence, nor do they seem to grapple well with reason. Utter ignorant nationalism is what they envisage. They hold this ideal close to their cold hearts, ignoring basic facts such as that an isolated united Ireland that they desire would be ripped apart by in-fighting and a poor quality of living. They want to live in the land of the Irish fairies, where free maidens pick berry's from the forest shrubs and the men prance around singing about Celtic battles. My message:

Wake up boys, your in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

turgon wrote: »
    People have to realize that posters like Kev_PS3 do not understand the idea of a consequence, nor do they seem to grapple well with reason. Utter ignorant nationalism is what they envisage. They hold this ideal close to their cold hearts, ignoring basic facts such as that an isolated united Ireland that they desire would be ripped apart by in-fighting and a poor quality of living. They want to live in the land of the Irish fairies, where free maidens pick berry's from the forest shrubs and the men prance around singing about Celtic battles. My message:

Wake up boys, your in the 21st century.

+1

Bar room, tabloid crap about leaving the EU. Utter nonsense.

Many students do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

This is a "mad suggestion" indeed. The EU has been wonderful for us and, just when times are getting tough, you're talking about getting out? I was deeply upset with the 'no' vote because I think that all 'No-ers' were mislead. Then again, our politicians never made a good case for the 'Yes' vote.

It is very two-faced of us to reap the benefits of joining the EU when our economy was small (on a global scale); and to now block the process whereby we - a country with a top economy - could help other smaller nations along the way to great economic success by joining the EU themselves.

You - all 'No-ers' - have been duped by a group of people only looking for personal rewards (i.e. - selfish people).

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

What an unbelievably ignorant point of view. Im not even going to bother replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually for tourism that's just bad weather and overpriced bad service.

And what does this departure include?

Do we keep the Euro?
    Do we join EFTA, all four of them?
    Should we increase taxes to pay for the EU farm payments we'll lose?
    Will we shed all the EU rules, especially those that currently relate to workers' rights and consumer rights?
    Do we tie ourselves in to the EU by binding our legislation to new legislation like Norway and get results we have no input into?
    Do we really just want to be a backwater on the periphery of Europe?
    Are we willing to forego the overall benefits of low interest rates form the ECB?

Britain could probably survive on its own as its economy is large enough but for now chooses to be part of Europe. It's beef with the EU has always been to do with power and sovereignty.
    Can we say that we'd survive?

The last time we were on our own so to speak was in the ERM days before the ECB.

I certainly think it is time for this debate but not without people attempting to understand what the EU is and does beyond the ususal selected sound bytes and slogans.

turgon wrote: »
    What an unbelievably ignorant point of view. Im not even going to bother replying.

I assume that you are referring to your own reply just a few back up the list? If so, then yes: You were unbelievably ignorant.

Take care,
    Kevin.

• Advertisement

I am somewhat appeased today, in fact, because there is an article by Willie O'Dea in the Sunday Independent that reinforces what I have said.

Kevin.

Advertisement