Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Font

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. Bit of a long shot this one but can anyone tell me what font the cops use on their patrol cars??

I have a t-shirt to design and want the exact font :)

trafficcarestate.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Looks like Arial or Arial Bold to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

cheerz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Could you not think of that?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Could you not think of that?!

it looks different from picture to picture and the font they use on their stylish jackets is different too...but thanx for your helpful input!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Oh your just so welcome,anytime!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

O'Prez wrote: »
    Hey lads. Bit of a long shot this one but can anyone tell me what font the cops use on their patrol cars??

I have a t-shirt to design and want the exact font :)

trafficcarestate.jpg

You might want to just double check that the t-shirt wouldn't be mistaken for an actual Garda t-shirt if you are using the official font and colours. That might land you in a spot of bother.

psni wrote: »
    You might want to just double check that the t-shirt wouldn't be mistaken for an actual Garda t-shirt if you are using the official font and colours. That might land you in a spot of bother.

Ah no it'll be grand in that department. The font will be the only official thing. They guy wants a leprechaun in garda uniform underneath it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I used Myriad before for a fancy dress outfit, was almost identical except for the crossbars on the 'A' are thinner on the actual logo. Proved to be convinving enough as I nearly got arrested before I even got there ! He took my word it was only for a laugh when he noticed Superwoman, a pirate, a leprechaun and Wild West Showgirl with me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

Actually, looking at the design of the 'R' I'd say it's more Helvetica than Arial

Thanx for all the help lads. Now to spend hours drawing up a design...for free :( It's for me father in law!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

T'aint Helvetica... there's no spur on the G :D

It seems to me that it's Univers, although a bold, stretched, squashed version of Univers!

trust me, I'm a nerd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Chochese wrote: »

It seems to me that it's Univers, although a bold, stretched, squashed version of Univers!

trust me, I'm a nerd ;)

dscd0588.jpg

pretty consistant design.

It's a pity neither Helvetica nor Univers are free. I have neither :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

pretty consistant design.

Not really... if you look at the G on the newer one the top curve bends right into the bar. On the older pic you posted the top curve ends in line with the vertical stroke of the bar.

Also, the tail of the R in the newer one is more vertical that that of the R in the older photograph.

Man, I need to get out more... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

Chochese wrote: »

trust me, I'm a nerd ;)

I don't think it's Univers either... lol
    The base of the leg on the 'R' doesn't (for lack of a better word) "flick" out..

Although, it's more Univers than Helvetica...

I suppose what you could do, is type out the word "Garda" in (what I am assuming is) Photoshop, rasterize the type layer and then warp it..

Or if yer any good at the pen tool....

It's hard to tell if the 'R' in the pic "flicks" out...
    I think I'm going blind.. I'll see if I can spot any Garda when I'm out and about... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Definitely Univers Extended, or Univers Bold/Black stretched out.

Advertisement