Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce (International Business with Chinese Studies)

Options
  • 19-06-2008 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi all!

I'm just done my Junior Cert but I have been seriously considering what I want to in college for quite a while now. I have my heart set on Commerce (International Business with Chinese Studies). I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on this course?

I just have some kind of prompt questions.

What is the course like?
    What are the majors in the last year like?
    Is it a very demanding course?
    What are the hours like?
    What is the college in China like, and just as a matter of interest, is it a nice area to live in? (I've been to Beijing before and loved it but just in case)
    Lastly, is it a very Mathematics orientated course? I'm not too bad at maths but I don't really like it.

Thank you to any of you who can reply!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kodmuffin

Hi im a 3rd year commerce international student....as far as i know chinese has only been introduced(instead of irish i think:eek:) so i cant realy tell you about that,but il try answer your questions anyway!

at the moment all the commerce internationals are mixed together for the general business subjects and seperated for their chosen languages (ie for say accounting you will be in class with people doing comm with french,german,italilan etc but when you are in chinese class itl obviously be different!)

so as for your questions...

What is the course like?
    i find the course grand,im unsure of what i want to do when i finish college so its very broad which helps, the people are great craic and the classes are small enough so its easy enough to get to know people
    What are the majors in the last year like?
    as the course is so broad its realy up to you which major you want to do....im not in final year yet so cant realy comment!
    like any course it has a steady workload,and you have to do some bit of work,probably more with the language side of things compared to the business-but that depends on what your good at.....saying all that i see some of my mates in other courses putting in a hell of alot more hours when it comes to college work than me.....so i wouldnt call it overly demanding!!!
    What are the hours like?
    about 15/16 hours a week for lectures and tutorials i think.....i managed to fix mine so i hada day off which was nice!every few weeks you have a presentation or essay of somesort to work so theres always something to thick u over but nothing too mad!
    What is the college in China like, and just as a matter of interest, is it a nice area to live in? (I've been to Beijing before and loved it but just in case)
    havnt a clue bout china...just keep in mind that its along way away so if your the type that gets homesick easlily it could be a long ol year......i have it handy because ive had loads of mates and family over and ive been home....but i doubt youl get that in china.....but mind you that good be a good thing.....its whatever you want realy!
    Lastly, is it a very Mathematics orientated course? I'm not too bad at maths but I don't really like it.
    it is and it isnt!there is maths but its manageable if u keep up to date with it-i got a c in honours maths and the leaving and apart from one course (which i still managed to pass) i havnt found it overly hard(u still need to keep up to date with things!)i know they give an extra tutorial for people that did ordinary level for maths too so thats ok!
    its realy a course about meeting people and working well with them in the business world.......with abit of accounts thrown in!

hope that helps!feel free to ask anymore questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

NKJCPM wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm just done my Junior Cert

Go out and play around in the sun. Now.
    What is the course like?

Commerce w/ Chinese. Wierd little bits and pieces like an elective in Tai Chi and meals out with the class in the whole Parnell street district. Everyone I know doing it seems to like it

Same as any other commerce int. course really - about par for the course for UCD. Nothing that should faze you post-Leaving Cert anyways.
    What are the hours like?

10-15 hours a week. Depends on how many tutorials and stuff you go to. Its an extremely small year so you have to be careful not to miss too much.

The pilot year heading over are going this September; I know the majority of people doing it and the few that went around China last summer seemed to think it was the business. Accomodation can be a bit rough, but the entirety of the place is extremely safe. VERY cheap.

Ahah. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've this course down but I have the UCC commerce with chinese down ahead of it, looks like a cool course and I hope I get it.

Advertisement