Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing noise at Night

Options
  • 19-06-2008 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Just recently got my keys to my new 2 bed apartment and while I was working late there at about 11.30pm -12.00am I heard a buzzing noise.
    I traced it to the wall where the Junction / trip switch Box is. The buzzing resonates through the cavity in the wall. The wall is L shaped and borders the Hall and two bedrooms. It is more noticable in the second bedroom.

The builder has said that this is normal and called it a "soft buzzing as a result of the storage heaters coming on" But I think it may have something to do with the night meter.

When I finally move in this weekend, I know this will keep me awake.

What options do I have? Please don't say earplugs :D

Can I make the builder fix this, insulate the cavity or soundproof the walls?

thks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Was it a continuous buzzing noise, or did it come on and then reduce in scale? Storage heaters do make a buzzing noise when they kick in, but this normally reduces to a virtually inaudible hum within a few minutes as they heat up.

Electricity meters do make a very very slight buzzing noise- its just a fact of life. Far more annoying is a freezer or fridge if its against the wall next door- you'd be amazed at how sound travels- particularly in the quiet of the night.

First things first- you need to track down the source of the noise, until you know whats causing it, its difficult to decide on a particular course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Thks SMC,

I am almost 100% sure that the noise is eminating from the Junction / Trip switch box.

I have not fully moved in yet and only noticed the noise when I was painting one of the walls late one night. The next time that I was there late, it started at the same time again. I only stayed on for about an hour on each occasions, and it was still buzzing.

To recap, the continuous Buzzing noise starts at about 11.30pm - 12.00 am. Keeps buzzing for an hour maybe longer (can't confirm if it reduced in scale) as I left at about 12.45ish am on both days. The bedroom that has the junction / trip switch box on its wall is noisier. The buzzing is resonating, echoing through the wall cavity and I know I will suffer sleepless nights from this.

Surely an electrical buzzing noise that will disturb an owners sleep is something that should be addressed by the builder. It sounds like a design fault to me.

But going by DoE building standards, builders could place cardboard boxes on top of each other and still sell them as luxury apts. :mad:

Do I have any recourse with the builder? If not is there anyway I can soundproof the noise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dammer wrote: »
    Thks SMC,

I am almost 100% sure that the noise is eminating from the Junction / Trip switch box.

I have not fully moved in yet and only noticed the noise when I was painting one of the walls late one night. The next time that I was there late, it started at the same time again. I only stayed on for about an hour on each occasions, and it was still buzzing.

To recap, the continuous Buzzing noise starts at about 11.30pm - 12.00 am. Keeps buzzing for an hour maybe longer (can't confirm if it reduced in scale) as I left at about 12.45ish am on both days. The bedroom that has the junction / trip switch box on its wall is noisier. The buzzing is resonating, echoing through the wall cavity and I know I will suffer sleepless nights from this.

Surely an electrical buzzing noise that will disturb an owners sleep is something that should be addressed by the builder. It sounds like a design fault to me.

But going by DoE building standards, builders could place cardboard boxes on top of each other and still sell them as luxury apts. :mad:

Do I have any recourse with the builder? If not is there anyway I can soundproof the noise.

You can get self expanding foam which you pump into the cavity wall- its quite cheap (a tenner a tube or so). Not ideal- but it may be something to explore.

Re: comeback from the builder- unfortunately noise is pretty much part of life in modern apartments- from what you're saying its pretty minor in comparison to what some people have to put up with :(

I was just thinking the same thing with the cavity block filler stuff. Some of them may have sound deadening properties. I'm assuming all electrical cabling behind the wall will be shielded. I'll talk to the builder about your idea... Hhhhmmm maybe that's an option down the line if noise from the neighbours happens...

It should be easy enough to drill a few holes along the height of the wall and fill the cavity, then just smooth over with plaster. Hopefully that will work, but when apartments are advertised as Luxury you don't think

thks SMC :)

Was talking to an architect friend of mine, he actually done the snag on my apt. He also said that I should document my complaint of noise with the builder. If it disturbs sleep, then the builder will have to look into it. It may also be covered in Homebond.

The foam filler might not be an option until he has a look at the wall. He mentioned that I may lose 1.5 inches from my walls on either side to add sound proofing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It happened to my brother. He had to move the electrical fitting for the storage heaters from the trip box. He had it put into the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My trip box does the same when it switches over to nightsaver supply, drives me nuts in the winter as the more draw on it the louder it is and storage heaters eat electricity..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement