Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking in residential areas

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Is it OK to park on a residential road? I work close to the city centre but the area is not served well by public transport so I drive in and park outside my friends house. He doesn't have a car and rents out 2 flats aswell, they have no cars either, so there's plenty of space on the road. The last few mornings I've noticed I've been getting the evils from some locals. If I start getting hassled, do I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

First off if it's a public road you have both legs to stand on.

Now here's the kicker, I've been parking outside my house in Ringsend for the past 15 years, never a problem. New building (Portview House) opens up for business, now everyday when I drop my kids to school I come back and there's a car outside my house. I run a business from my house that involves lifting equipment, I've a dodgy neck (collapsed vertebrae) so lifting is difficult but beyond that there's about 7 cars from Portview parked outside the houses right now so I'm left to go park around the front Thorncastle St which is Disc Parking.

Now in fairness, why should I pay €16 per day to park when some f*cker is parked outside my door for free, I've left notes, I've nearly dragged some idiot by the face through his driver window but if it's not one there's a queue of people waiting to take their place. How would you feel if I worked out in clonee/rathoath/nondescript satellite town and parked in your driveway, I bet you wouldn't be happy. I don't do it to other people I just wish they'd stop doing it to me, it's frustrating, it gets me angry, I can't even run out for a coffee now without some bassie having parked in my spot.

I have now contacted the corporation to get the street disc based parking, it's a last resort rather than placing written sheets on windows every single f*cking day of the week of f*ckers who are parked outside.

/end of f*cking rant

edit: in case you didn't get it, if it's a public street, you have every right to park on it, the evil's could be a different matter, they may not respect the value of a vehicle and key it, acid it or puncture your tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nialler - As you've said, it's a public street. They have every bit as much right to park outside your house as you do. You seem to know this, so I don't understand why you harrass them?

WindSock - Assuming (and going by the above it might be a big if) the locals to be law-abiding, you are perfectly within your rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

My sister in law lives on a road where people think they have the divine right to the public road outside their houses, no driveways. So much so they have their own traffic cones to block off a space or else they use their wheelie bins. When I'm popping up for a while I think nothing of throwing these out of the way so I can park. First time I removed a wheelie bin I genuinely thought it was left there for a bin collection that day but there was a snotty letter stuck to my windscreen when I came out. I popped it back into their letter box.
    If anyone challenges me to my face they can go FO.

Nialler, there's a big difference to parking in someones driveway, you don't own the road outside your house but I do understand your predicament, however it's not the problem of those who park on the road you live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Anan, harass is the last resort. I politely explain my situation, ie carrying computers from door to back of car etc and would they mind parking over the road or move up and give me a bit of room, car is 18ft long, if there's disc parking and they've got a disc I've absolutely no right then, I've no right in the first place anyway but it's just considerate as I wouldn't do it on anyone else.

You can't even drive into my parent's flats anymore due to people just parking there god help if there's ever an ambulance that has to get in there, they build these buildings without thinking of the parking situation, f*ck the residents of the area. Sorry but it's a bugbear of mine I've even asked the neighbours with 2 car households to allow each household one car to park outside their house and whatever was left get the 2nd cars in there and to be honest everybody does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP - you should be fine as long as the residents aren't like some others described on boards in the past (keying, battery acid, etc.)

Nialler - when they built the place beside you, did they build parking spaces (I though that urban development plans had to have a parking "solution" sorted out for their residents???) Otherwise, have you space at the front of your house to put in a driveway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nialler, I sympathise with your situation and would be a bit pissed if I were a resident and people were stealing my usual spot, as there are few alternatives. I don't think I am stealing anyones spot though, as I have always found there are spaces. I guess if I am approached, I will use this argument, but I know if I piss the residents off I will surely come back to a damaged car. I can imagine things will get worse for this area in the future too, as there is a lot of construction work going on, and spaces are running out fast. A few of the workers drive in to park at 6.30 and sleep for an hour, just to secure their spot.
    I have noticed some disabled parking spots outside houses. Do you think you could get one painted on the basis of your bad back?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nialler - Don't get me wrong, I do sympathise with your situation. The fact is though that you have no right whatsoever to ask people not to park on a road that they own just as much as you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

nialler wrote: »
    How would you feel if I worked out in clonee/rathoath/nondescript satellite town and parked in your driveway, I bet you wouldn't be happy.

You explained your situation well but this part is irrelevant, I don't know why you posted it.
    There is no comparison between parking on a public road and parking in a driveway
    WindSock wrote: »
    I have noticed some disabled parking spots outside houses. Do you think you could get one painted on the basis of your bad back?

An excellent suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Now here's the kicker, I've been parking outside my house in Ringsend for the past 15 years, never a problem. New building (Portview House) opens up.

This is a big issue where planners (and our corrupt system) allows buildings/aptments/shops/estates to go ahead without proper parking etc etc
    Now in fairness, why should I pay €16 per day to park when some f*cker is parked outside my door for free, I've left notes, I've nearly dragged some idiot by the face through his driver window but if it's not one there's a queue of people waiting to take their place..
    sounds like a loosing battle
    How would you feel if I worked out in clonee/rathoath/nondescript satellite town and parked in your driveway, I bet you wouldn't be happy. .
    Have you a driveway? Are people parking in your driveway?
    You are not going to win many friends by calling the suburbs non-descript, most people live there. Anyhow as someone who grew up on street I never regarded the street as our parking even outside our house, but I do sympathise with you point, I really do. In the suburbs, where people have driveways they still give out about people parking on the road of an estate. My attitiude is
    -if you have a driveway you have no right to leave notes on peoples cars trying to stop them parking on the onstreet road. provided->
    -people who park on the road near people houses (where they have driveways) should do so only in a non obstructing way to residents trying to use their driveway and thru traffic
    -where there is communal parking i.e. parking spaces not driveways. divided the number of houses by the number of spaces. e.g 12 house 24 spaces = 2 spaces each. If one house is not using their 2 spaces they can let their friends park their and the other residents can fec k off. this kinda thing should be customary.

the real problem is that parking has turned into a pressure cookers because of the governments/agencies inept planning of infrastrusture housing, public transport and the needed of existing residents services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

strange coincidence that this thread should pop up today; my colleague was just showing me his car out the office window today which was keyed yesterday in one of the estates around Clonsilla train station. Its a very very common occurance around there, but if you saw the sheer number of cars crammed on to estate's roads every day, you could understand the anger. Again though, its a public street, and its only if they block your driveway that you can get something done about them.

He said every car he could see on the street had been keyed on both sides.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    strange coincidence that this thread should pop up today; my colleague was just showing me his car out the office window today which was keyed yesterday in one of the estates around Clonsilla train station. Its a very very common occurance around there, but if you saw the sheer number of cars crammed on to estate's roads every day, you could understand the anger. Again though, its a public street, and its only if they block your driveway that you can get something done about them.

He said every car he could see on the street had been keyed on both sides.

Clonsilla train station is a mess but the housing estates around it all have driveways. I would be more then understanding if they didnt. People parking in the estates are only doing the decent thing and trying to make their way to work without help of proper parking, park and rides, undergrounds etc. The estate here have driveways, so they are only W&nkers to go keying peoples cars and someone should be caught and prosecuted. Very rarely do cars block any driveway, so residents are only being selfish.

dodgyme wrote: »
    Clonsilla train station is a mess but the housing estates around it all have driveways. I would be more then understanding if they didnt. People parking in the estates are only doing the decent thing and trying to make their way to work without help of proper parking, park and rides, undergrounds etc. The estate here have driveways, so they are only W&nkers to go keying peoples cars and someone should be caught and prosecuted. Very rarely do cars block any driveway, so residents are only being selfish.

I agree with you, but I'm guessing these people see their street being turned into a car-park, literally.
    He said they have double-yellows put into a lot of it now, to at least stop people parking on both sides of the street. He wasn't even parked outside a house, it was side garden walls on both sides of the street. Not familiar with the place myself, but a friend had their car keyed round there a few years ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Probably the best thing to do in that situation is get yourself a banger that you don't mind being scratched.

WindSock wrote: »
    Probably the best thing to do in that situation is get yourself a banger that you don't mind being scratched.

Definitely, thats what I use. I remarked that its parked between an '07 Peogeot and '08 volvo at the station today. To be honest it tends to be a mix of a lot of Junkers and new cars.
    Mine does no more than 1,300-1,500 miles per year, up and down to the station daily, so hardly merits anything other than a banger (and its still in PMO, 8yo).

close to where I park every day, there is a Focus 225 and new model A4 every day too, of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Anan, harass is the last resort. I politely explain my situation, ie carrying computers from door to back of car etc and would they mind parking over the road or move up and give me a bit of room, car is 18ft long, if there's disc parking and they've got a disc I've absolutely no right then, I've no right in the first place anyway but it's just considerate as I wouldn't do it on anyone else.

You can't even drive into my parent's flats anymore due to people just parking there god help if there's ever an ambulance that has to get in there, they build these buildings without thinking of the parking situation, f*ck the residents of the area. Sorry but it's a bugbear of mine I've even asked the neighbours with 2 car households to allow each household one car to park outside their house and whatever was left get the 2nd cars in there and to be honest everybody does that.

I hear ya nialler. I too live in Ringsend. The road I live on has no disc parking either. Most mornings I come outside there are various different cars parked outside the house. Usually they park on the path as the road is narrow, which leads to hassle if your pushing a pram as they park to close to the railing.
    The next door neighbour leaves her daughter to the bus stop every morning, and by the time she gets back the space outtside he front door is gone.

Another side effect of lots of cars prking here is that they park on both sides of the street ( not always well parked I may add). This usually leads to the corpo and re-cycling trunks not being able to get access to the street.
    I went 6 weeks in a row having some type of problem with collections beacuse of this.

All the above said I know that there is nothing I can do. Its a public road and people are entitled to use it. ALso dont think I would like it to become disc parking. Plus I usually am out of the house all day so doesnt affect me to much, but I can see how in your case it would be a nightmare.

Anyway, thats my couple of bob on the issue.

sk8board wrote: »
    I agree with you, but I'm guessing these people see their street being turned into a car-park, literally.
    He said they have double-yellows put into a lot of it now, to at least stop people parking on both sides of the street. He wasn't even parked outside a house, it was side garden walls on both sides of the street. Not familiar with the place myself, but a friend had their car keyed round there a few years ago too.

The estates around the station all have driveways as I said. The roads are no more narrow then any estate veering out towards clonee or dunboyne. When I look at them I see enough room for parking on street without an issue. When everyone leaves in the evenings, the estates veering down towards clonee etc start to look like the ones beside the station as people make their way home to their own estates where parking is tight also. As long as people are considerate and dont block driveways etc (i.e. use their noggin) there shouldnt be a problem. However my feeling on it is the residents around the station seem to think that apart from cars in the driveway no other cars should be allowed to park there which is pure selfish. Every other estate has problems with parking and they are no where near the station. And these are estates where people do not have individual driveways. I know if I lived there as long as my driveway was not blocked and I could get in and out of it I would be happy enough. Seems not to be enough for the vandals who scratch cars of ordinary decent workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The girlfriend parks on a residential street in Terenure. The road is a bit narrow so everyone pulls up on the path to some degree, even the locals. Her car has been keyed on a few occasions on this street. The guards have been called to her work by someone living on the street as a couple of her work colleagues also park there. The person who called the guards doesn't even own a car. She can't get her car resprayed as whoever is doing the keying will do it again and she has nowhere else to park. I have sympathy for the locals but if they want parking changed they should go to the city council.

Advertisement