Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Night\Day\Twillight Watch

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

With the book The Twilight Watch(3/3) released, reminded me of The Night Watch (1/3). Anyone else think this book was not that good at all?
    I mean I’m a OK with witches, vampires, warlocks, werewolves etc. etc. and even fine with them all agreeing to a peace treaty. It would still make good fantastical reading.

But I don’t think this author managed to pull it off that well, it had a feeling of being made up as it went along.

“Vampires, cool I’ll throw some in,
    vortexes, great, Ill figure out how to throw them in.
    A parallel zone where they can meet and exist. I’ll call it a Twilight zone, brilliant! Where do I come up with this stuff”.

I read the first one, and have no inclination to read any of the sequels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Yeah, I've read the three of them, and while I wasn't blown away, I kind of want to contradict you there. I like the way the 3 stories in each book manage to come together nicely at the end; doesn't feel at all like it's made up as it goes along. It's probably more noticable in books 2 and 3.

But the translator is awful; he hardly knows how to form a sentence without making it totally unwieldy, and he uses commas where he should use semicolons. Grammar nazi I am not, and I'm not saying I never do it, but he's paid for it and he should know these things.

I like the Nightwatch movie, it puts a lot less emphasis on the magic and amulets and stuff.

Apparently there's a fourth book as well, even though all my copies have "Book (1/2/3) of the Night Watch Trilogy" on the cover. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

I didnt realise that it was originally wrote in Russian and translated. That could be it.
    Nyways, think Ill stick to hard sci fi. I like a bit of explanation behing magicy stuff.

I couldnt make sense of the movie, Im hoping the book clears it up a little. xtra vision have the two movies in a cheapish enough box set I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

The movies deviate a lot from the books, even more so in movie 2, which is loosely based on story 2 of book 1, and not book 2, if you catch my drift.

So using one to try and make sense of the other will probably just confuse matters further.

Yea, I read that all right.

Forget that so. Im heading back to my hard sci-fi.
    Should never have left it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Picked up the nightwatch movie, half an hour in I knocked it off - complete tripe.

• Advertisement

apparantly the day watch movie makes more sense. I dont know tho, the first one wasnt up to much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

RonMexico wrote: »
    Picked up the nightwatch movie, half an hour in I knocked it off - complete tripe.

Really? I actually liked it,was a strange film and thats why i liked it,though never bothered with the second film,the whole car driving along a builidng put me off,too over the top. Now i tried to read the first book but found it too hard to follow and i have a feeling if i was fluent in russian it would make more sense in russian.

Advertisement