Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Pedaling

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

...and by that I mean pushing/pulling right through 360 degrees.

I have been using SPDs for probably 3 months and would like to use them properly by taking advantage of a more complete pedal stroke. When I try it, I find that I can speed up considerably and get higher cadence, but my legs (thighs particularly) tire out fairly quickly. I have some questions for ye:

1. How many of you actually do this and is there real benefit to be got on a longish commute and a long weekend cycle?
    2. If you do it, would you cycle this way 100% of the time, or just on hills or straights or something?
    3. What would you recommend I do to improve my technique and strength? Cycling with one leg out at a time doesn't sound too appealing so is just practicing as part of my every day cycling enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I tended to use the 'I'm scraping mud off the sole of my shoe' technique when getting used to pedaling right through the stroke. It seems to have helped, but my pedal-stroke could certainly use some refinement.

My thighs hurt initially, less as time went on. It becomes less of a planned action and more reflex as things progress - to the point that I do it with only minor prompting from the pilot. Building a fixie to help with this aspect of pedaling, as they're supposed to strengthen the legs and help with pedal-action; but really, just making it a habit would be the best starting point, commutes are great for daily affirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I ride a fixie with SPDs and have found that the motion can be controlled from the upper leg and hips, where you'd have greater muscle mass and more power. I find I don't tire so easily if I focus on creating the circular motion from there.

I started doing it because I found I was clenching my feet and lower legs to keep the cadence, which did nothing other than give me foot cramp. It takes some of the pressure off the knees too.

I'm probably not describing that very well...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

beans wrote: »
    I tended to use the 'I'm scraping mud off the sole of my shoe' technique when getting used to pedaling right through the stroke.

I use that also but read something here recently that made me think that when I'm pushing down I'm applying power from about 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock, the mud-scraping is working from 4 o'clock to 7 o'clock but that leaves about half of the clock remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-4-41-15647-1,00.html
    just reading this, seems to be quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

kenmc wrote: »

I’m feeling quite smug right now, that’s exactly what I do.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all those years of Tae Kwon-Do, it’s that body mechanics is one damn fascinating subject. You gotta think about every part of your body that’s in motion and how best to use it. Who knew I could apply it to something like riding a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

kenmc wrote: »

I hadn't been focussing on using the calf on the upstroke, so I'll give that a lash on the way home tonight. Also starting the push down a bit earlier will be interesting to try.

Thanks - that's a great article.

Advertisement