Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scart Lead

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

My electrician rang me last night to get an 8m scart lead for him for today, where would i find one in cork?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any electrical/tv shop.

82070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

As simple as that, i checked on the net and there were mentioning different types for audio and stuff, so do i just ask for a scart lead for a tv?

Thanks
    Jolly

What's it for?

The only application it wouldn't really suit afaik is a high definition DVD, blue ray or upscaler etc. This may be better suited in Home Entertainment if you want to get into it :)

I never asked what its for presume sky box? He wants to install it before we slab the ceiling!

Its suitable for hdtv though is it?

If it's for a standard sky or sky+ then the skart is fine.

You'll need a HDMI cable for any High definition sky box or blue ray dvd player. You should consider running them in now to save on hardship (digging out walls/slabs) in the future.

• Advertisement

Will i need the HDMI cable aswell as the scart so? Must head to maplins there now thanks for the help

Yes. Your standard sky box doesn't have a HDMI output. The HDMI cable you're thinking about running in would be incase of future improvements (which you'll probably do at some stage). Check what length of cable you need before you go.

No problem :)

Ok after my lunch break to Maplins, have a 10m scart lead and a 10m HDMI cable, so my electrician can run both of these?

He/she should do no problem, give him/her a call to ask if they'd mind if you're in doubt. It's as easy to run one as the other and it's only 10m.

Excellent will do thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I just want to jump in here for a min M Mag. While you are at it an optical lead for sound would also be good.

Maplins will be very expensive, even for the low quality stuff, and really expensive for the good stuff (as in crazy expensive)

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1000465&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=scart&Ntx=

you can get a decent scart lead here with gold connections for the same price as the cheap ones in maplin.

just want to let you know, the above advice is bang on and it looks like you might have the deal done. The guys in CPC will take calls and answer any quesitons you have too. (well to degree)

Yeah, I agree on that.

The optical lead would be another good one to leave there for future expansion, this lead will enable you to reproduce your TV's sound (surround, when it's available) thru your DVD's surround sound system improving the overall experience.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

At 10 metres, I'd also make sure that the Scart lead is a decent one which is fully screened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

@10m i'd be more worrid about the hdmi than the scart

Advertisement