Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal Vs Germany

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

looking forward to this,

Germany 2-1 Portugal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Germany 2-1

Can see them kicking Portugal off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I fancy the Germans, just. I think they'll out muscle Portugal despite having a particular poor Euros. Portugal will go for the typical 4-1-3-1-1 formation, and could play into the Germans hands.

Maybe the draw would be the gamblers safe option, if I had to say one team it would be te Gers for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

First quater final tonight. Really dont know what way it will go, I think I would slightly favour Portugal especially if Frings and Podolski are out.

It's time for Klose to shine, maybe. He's been naggingly close to good in the first couple of matches. If I was still a betting man I would put my car on him to score a hat trick, if I didn't need my car to live in after putting my house on a Pavyluchenko hat trick yesterday.

I hope they don't play Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Trilla wrote: »
    I fancy the Germans, just. I think they'll out muscle Portugal despite having a particular poor Euros. Portugal will go for the typical 4-1-3-1-1 formation, and could play into the Germans hands.

Maybe the draw would be the gamblers safe option, if I had to say one team it would be te Gers for me
    Yeah I think it could take extra time or even penos to seperate them. Ronaldo up against Lahm will be a really interesting battle, although Ronaldo tends to drift very central for Portugal so he mightnt be up against him too often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Portugal to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ballack to win.
    The guy deserves a major trohpy at some stage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ballack to win.
    QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hope Germany win.

Ballack to win.
    He has won the Carling cup what more does he want! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Should be a cracker. Portugal play great football but the Germans are proven winners. Can see this going to penalties and Germany hasn't lost a peno shootout in 30 years or more.

Anyone know what Klose is anytime scorer with PaddyPower?

Anyone know what Klose is anytime scorer with PaddyPower?
    12-5

Niiiiiiiiiice

He's due a goal, so I'll be having a bit of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Portugal 2 - 1 Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

2-0 Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'd have Germany down as to play a game so compact that it stifles the Portugese. If Podolski is fit i'd have them win, but otherwise i think it might be a draw.

Schweinsteiger is back. could they push Fritz to RB and start him perhaps?

i'd have Germany down as to play a game so compact that it stifles the Portugese. If Podolski is fit i'd have them win, but otherwise i think it might be a draw.

Schweinsteiger is back. could they push Fritz to RB and start him perhaps?
    Alittle off topic but how come Schweinsteiger only got a 1 match ban for his red card and the turkish keeper got a 2 match ban? I thought they were both straight reds so why different punishments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Turkish keeper got the harsher ban because he sat in the dugout after being sent off, rather then retreat down the tunnel. Which is a rule, apparently.

PiE wrote:
    Turkish keeper got the harsher ban because he sat in the dugout after being sent off, rather then retreat down the tunnel. Which is a rule, apparently.

Common sense in football prevails yet again! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I hope Germany win for my continuation in the boards sweepstake :D

Common sense in football prevails yet again! :rolleyes:

What?

It's been a rule since sendings-off were invented.

You have to leave the vicinity of the official area of the match, this includes the bench.

:rolleyes:

DesF wrote: »
    What?

You have to leave the vicinity of the official area of the match, this includes the bench.

:rolleyes:
    In fairness giving the guy an extra game ban because he sat on the bench for 30 seconds before the game ended is stupid imo. Although granted not as stupid as he was for getting sent off in the first place. A one game ban would have been sufficient.

Was there really a time before sendings-off? That must have been mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They called it the 60's

They called it the 60's

What happened when they assaulted one another? A sternly-worded letter? They must have hacked nads off the strikers.

gogglebok wrote: »
    What happened when they assaulted one another? A sternly-worded letter? They must have hacked nads off the strikers.

A "hack" was once a legitimate tactic in Association Football.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Fhistory.htm
    Ebenezer Cobb Morley was elected as the secretary of the FA. At a meeting on 24th November, 1863, Morley presented a draft set of 23 rules. These were based on an amalgamation of rules played by public schools, universities and football clubs. This included provision for running with the ball in the hands if a catch had been taken "on the full" or on the first bounce. Players were allowed to "hack the front of the leg" of the opponent when they were running with the ball. Two of the proposed rules caused heated debate:

IX. A player shall be entitled to run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal if he makes a fair catch, or catches the ball on the first bound; but in case of a fair catch, if he makes his mark (to take a free kick) he shall not run.

X. If any player shall run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal, any player on the opposite side shall be at liberty to charge, hold, trip or hack him, or to wrest the ball from him, but no player shall be held and hacked at the same time.

So, there you go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'll go with the Germans alright. I don't particularly fancy them to win the whole tournment, but i just think they'll be too (stereotype alert!!) efficient for the Portugese tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is Podolski definitely out? I could see Germany having some problems then. Same goes for Frings. I still fancy the Germans to shade it though. 2-1, I'd go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Tight but I think the Germans will try to bully the game and therefore the ref will be critical. I can see Portugal bottle this game as they have done in the big games in the past (last Euro Final and WC semi last time)

Tom65 wrote: »
    Is Podolski definitely out?

no, but he's a pretty big doubt according to the camp with his calf problem, although i'd harbour it's as much mind games as any real concern.

no, but he's a pretty big doubt according to the camp with his calf problem, although i'd harbour it's as much mind games as any real concern.

Yeah, over the years I've learned to doubt doubts if they're not 100% ruled out.

A "hack" was once a legitimate tactic in Association Football.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Fhistory.htm

So, there you go. :)

That's just brilliant. The sad part is that Pogatetz has obviously been using the old rule-book. He must be bewildered at the cards he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

i hope Podolski plays. He always looks a threat. Great movement off the ball.

Also i have him @ 22/1 to be top goalscorer.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I predict Cristiano Ronaldo to end the night blubbering as usual :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Portugal for me. Gomes to get off the mark. Ronaldo to get the winner. 2-1

I predict Cristiano Ronaldo to end the night blubbering as usual :)
    With Ramón Calderón running on to the pitch straight after the match offering to dry Ronaldos tears with bags of money! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

It looks very doubtful for Germany, Podolski and Frings out, Löw in the stands, Schweinsteiger, Lehmann and Ballack one yellow away from suspension and the fact that they've generally been playing muck. They need to pull a performance out, I sincerely hope they do so tonight.
    There's been no fan mile in Berlin yet, but there will be for the Semis onwards if they make it!
    Auf gehts Deutschland schiess ein Tor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Going for Germany, Italy, Holland and Croatia in semi's

Secman

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger, Lehmann and Ballack one yellow away from suspension
    Being one yellow away from suspension didn't stop Ballack in the 2002 World Cup :). Also, I could be wrong but isn't Schweinsteiger just back from suspension for being sent off against Croatia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

He is just back but according to BBC if he gets booked again he'll be suspended
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7363493.stm
    As for Ballack, I've no doubt he'll still play an aggressive game but if they make it to the semi's without him I don't think they'll go any further. He seems to be the only person who is capable of actually injecting something into the team at the moment.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    He is just back but according to BBC if he gets booked again he'll be suspended
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7363493.stm
    Oddly enough, this site says:
    Bastian Schweinsteiger is available again following his one-match ban for being dismissed against Croatia, while Ballack and former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann are one booking away from suspension.

whereas the BBC site says:
    Bastian Schweinsteiger, Michael Ballack and Jens Lehmann will be suspended if booked.

I assume the BBC have just gotten it wrong.

malice_ wrote: »
    I assume the BBC have just gotten it wrong.

no, they are correct. Schweinsteiger was already on a yellow when he received a straight red, so the yellow carries over.

no, they are correct. Schweinsteiger was already on a yellow when he received a straight red, so the yellow carries over.
    Oh okay, that makes sense. I always just presumed that once a player had served a suspension their slate was wiped clean and they went back to zero bookings, now I know different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this game is the toughest one to call of all the quarter-final ties. It wouldn't surprise me if it went to ET or even penalties. I fancy the Germans to just about edge it. Hopefully this is the game where Klose finds the back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Portugal 2-1 Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Portugal 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gomez dropped.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

mike65 wrote: »
    Gomez dropped.

Mike.

About fukin time :pac:

Does anyone know how to pronounce Joachim (as in Joachim Low)? All the commentators refer to him as Jogi (/Yogi). It's been bothering me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement