Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal Vs Germany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Thanks Kryogen. I would appreciate the PM. I need to get my head around this. I can't understand what I am missing. It looks like a clear win win to me now. Yes I would be cutting my potential winnings - I think I would only win 40!.

Damm - there goes Ger 3 goal!!! My odds are gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A push in the back is a push in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Sherifu wrote: »
    A push in the back is a push in the back.

Deep :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That was some good jumping out of the way by the Portugeezers on Podolski's shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Scolari is hilarious.:pac:

Uh-Oh.

Is there time? :pac:

Sherifu wrote: »
    Is there time? :pac:

Hopefully not.

Is Ronaldo playing? (Genuine question, I only got in about 15 mins ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Great play by Nani for that goal. The Germans better hang on. I have fifty on them to win at 12/5. That covers my lost bet on Klose 1st goalscorer. Hang bloody on!!!

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is Ronaldo playing? (Genuine question, I only got in about 15 mins ago)

Well he's on the pitch, yeah

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well he's on the pitch, yeah

Fair play. Hadnt heard his name is all. I assumed he started but honestly thought he must have gone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Thank god. Now we can go on with the tournament without the Ronaldo circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the Germans kept him very quiet

at least my bet is still going, and more importantly, we will see what will happen with Ronaldo very soon now

5Live saying Ronaldo ran into the dressing room at the full time whistle. No going over to the fans etc. He had a real shocker tonight (no pun intended!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Efficent and effective but you can't really love them can you?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I can it is the land of my birth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

dunphy cracks me up"deco was man of the match"

Shamrok wrote: »
    5Live saying Ronaldo ran into the dressing room at the full time whistle. No going over to the fans etc. He had a real shocker tonight (no pun intended!).
    Nothing surprising there, thinks the world revolves around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Germany - Turkey semi final would be one hell of a game both on the pitch and off it in every city in Germany. No love lost between either bunch :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

was really looking forward to seeing him cry again . . . sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo was tosh. Had one of his 'I'll throw my hands up in the air at every opportunity' games. No doubt the BBC later on will claim his teammates let him down.

Portugal were poor. Blasting shots without any conviction. Germany just about deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why does Rte analysis always descend into Ronaldo bashing? its just sad

i do agree with certain points of what Dunphy is saying now though, the way Scolari sets his teams out tactically and his changes that he makes always seem very poor to me. defensively they have always been shocking, Brazil and Portugal, Carvalho doesnt become a bad defender when he pulls on a Portugal jersey for no reason

im really hoping he imparts his tactical brain fully on Chelsea and stops them knowing how to defend set pieces

this is not knee jerk, i have never been convinced of the man.

Eamo has that mad glint in his eyes tonight. I think we could be in for some mental punditry after the break - even funnier than his apres match caricature! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

A good performance, delighted Germany got through, but another bad night for the Stuttgart players. Hitzlsperger was muck and Gomez (deservedly) left out. It's worrying times for us, even if we do get that Rolfes fella!
    Did anyone hear Andy Townsend ''I passionately hope that the Germans get beaten, I really do''. And UTV/ITV is supposed to be imapartial??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I can already see eamos column in the star tomorrow "Scolari is a con man and Ronaldo is crap too"! :)
    Ronaldo was poor tonight though no denying that, I always feel he is less effective when is playing as the main striker, takes alot out of his game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

While I predicted a Germany victory Im not totally sure of what the result means for them moving forward. A couple of very, very soft set peice goals and then defending against a team that seemed set to shoot on sight from 30Ms out.....I think Portugals attack showed no teeth tonight and in that respect they are better off out of the competition.

Ronaldo was nothing special, Deco wasnt bad, Ballack was great in spots but no more.....hard to read anything at all from that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

One player doesn't make a team, no matter how good they are. Portugals system is dodgy as their strikers are ****.

That said, leaving Simao on that long was comical.
    Also the only person to blame for bad set piece defending is the coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote: »
    Also the only person to blame for bad set piece defending is the coach.

I blame the mothers for not having taller husbands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

International footall is so much better than club football. I just love it.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I blame the mothers for not having taller husbands!

It wasn't a height issue. It was just ****e defending. You wouldn't see that at schoolboy level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

PHB wrote: »
    That said, leaving Simao on that long was comical.

+1

I still cant believe Quaresma figured so little in the competition.
    He's aces, better than Nani anyway

Nani offered a real threat when he came on, even if he is inconsistant, he still got the assist with a cracking cross, Simao doesnt offer enough at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Im sure its been said but Podolskis shot in the 2nd was amazing. Would have been goal of the tournament. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Im sure its been said but Podolskis shot in the 2nd was amazing. Would have been goal of the tournament. :)
    Yeah that was a hell of hit alright, great technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Yeah great game tonight.It's good to see some real exciting attacking football played in this tournament in general.I think one thing that it shows up is the total lack of tactical knowledge that the English,Scots,Welsh and Irish have compared to the real heavyweights of Europe.It's a different kettle of fish in all honesty.Ronaldo **** poor again tonight againest the big boys but he was'nt the only one for Portugal..Simao in particular was rubbish.Deco on the other hand is a class act,a joy to watch.Hope Chelsea dont get him:(

International footall is so much better than club football. I just love it.

Yes, you said.

Wonder do you feel the same when watching the likes of Andorra?

Amazing hit.It was only a couple of inches wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yes, you said.

Nope.

Wonder do you feel the same when watching the likes of Aldershot Town?

At the highest level International Football is much more interesting and emotional than club football in my opinion.

Obviously the group stages of the Champions League are more interesting than the Concecaf 1st round qualifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

pfft... ye're both wrong. beach soccer's where it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wonder do you feel the same when watching the likes of Aldershot Town?

Well said esteban :p

Lol :pac: to right

I think Germany will beat Croatia in the semi final and end up being beaten by Spain in the final.
    As for Ronaldo, people saying they're glad Portugal are out as it'll end the Ronaldo saga on way or another. I don't think so though. I can see it now. Ronaldo will go off on holiday, the S*n will have back page 'exclusive' pictures of him on a beach somewhere, playing keep me ups on the golden sand while some quality bird lies on a sunbed near him reading some sh!te magazine (hope she has them out). He'll come back home and the saga heats up before he ends up signing for Madrid. Ronaldo's ego will not allow this attention on a possible transfer to die down so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Womens Beach soccer you mean :p:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Womens Beach soccer you mean :p:D
    volleyball you mean

Nope.

Wonder do you feel the same when watching the likes of Aldershot Town?.

I never made a comment on either. you made the blanket comment that international football is better.
    At the highest level International Football is much more interesting and emotional than club football in my opinion.

Obviously the group stages of the Champions League are more interesting than the Concecaf 1st round qualifers.

So what you really mean is some international football is better than some club football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Before Germany's opening game, I got slated by one or two posters for kicking up a bit of a stink when Schweinsteiger was benched. Well tonight, Germany looked a totally different team with him. How Dunphy can put Deco as MOTM is beyond me.

Again, Ronaldo failed to live up to his title. However, I will agree that Rte focus all of their analyiss on him, and never really look at who else didn't step up to the plate.

A Croatia/Germany semi final would be very interesting now that Gomez has been ousted, Klose has opened his account, and Schweinsteiger has been restored to his rightful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I never made a comment on either. you made the blanket comment that international football is better.

So what you really mean is some international football is better than some club football?

You clearly lost the arguement and you're only making yourself look worse by trying to turn to semantics.

You made a gross generalisation that was demonstrated false. His point is simple. Compare like for like. Top level international football trumps top level club football any day.

You tried to take low level int football and compare it to the very top of club football, comparing essentially apples and oranges to try and make a point that was wrong to begin with. Honestly, just accept you made a statement in haste that was demonstrably incorrect and leave it at that. The more you argue the point the more you are digging.

From a neutral fan's view, what was more entertaining? United vs Chelsea the champion's league final or the countless amazing games we've had in the euro's already?

All this club fandom nonsense gives me a migrane anyway.

Listen anyone who says the quality of the Champions league is superior to what is on show this summer in the euros is flat wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Memnoch wrote: »
    From a neutral fan's view, what was more entertaining? United vs Chelsea the champion's league final or the countless amazing games we've had in the euro's already?

All this club fandom nonsense gives me a migrane anyway.
    While we are speaking of apples and oranges, can we wait until the final is played before making such a statement?

I don't recall Italy & France in the WC2006 final being much good, nor Portugal & Greece in the last Euro's, Brazil & Germany was hardly a showcase in 2002, nor France & Italy in 2000. I actually thought the CL final this year was quite an exiting match.

Competitive tournaments of international football are great because of the format they take. It's similar to the group stage of the CL. There is also a certain amount of irregular novelty to them.

The quality of football and games in both is very similar, neither outstrips each other by such amount to make such a statement in eithers case.

Advertisement