Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss assessor for home insurance claim - anyone used one?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Having a spot o' bother with something at home which is structurally damaged, needs to be repaired and will be pricey...

Its been suggested that home insurance may cover some of the expense, but its not clear cut at all and will need to be argued. It has been suggested that I should engage a loss assessor who may be able to argue the case better with the insurance company.

If someone else has used one, could you maybe throw some light on these questions I have:

1) Is using a loss assessor likely to get the insurance company's back up, delay matters or somehow 'blot my copybook' with them?

I guess some of the above are inevitable in that the insurer will want to pay out as little as possible and arguing about it takes time, of course.

2) The assessor has suggested that he'd come out an hour ahead of any inspection by the insurance company's loss adjuster and review the damage, policy etc.

This approach means I have to lodge the claim with the insurance company before the assessor has even read the policy and know that the claim perhaps has no chance of succeeding. In this case, I'd pay nothing, but again don't want to be making frivilous claims.

3) Fees of 10% of any amount paid by the insurance company plus VAT (21%?) have been quoted by the loss assessor. Any else willing to say what they were charged / what is usual?

Any thoughts or personal experiences which may help me? Thanks in advance...

BTW, just to emphasise that I'm not trying to get anything which I am not entitled to. I'll pay for the repair fully myself if needs be, but obviously want to make sure I look into all options fully, esp given the cost of home insurance.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement