Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can i really dodge this bullet?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I borrowed my fathers car while he was on holdidays, ends up i got a speeding fine in the post for doing 80kph in a 60kph zone on the naas road? arrived this morn in the post.

now im no legal expert (nor a speed freak by the way because its my first ever fine) but cant i weasle my way out of this? my father has proof he was on hols on that date and several people use the motor, so whos to say my heavy footed brother was behind the wheel, or even Mr Jim McDaid himself?

Anyone ever dodged this bullet? and before some tard replies with the holier than thou line that "laws are laws pay the fine" im in pretty bad shape financially at the moment and could do without shelling out for it (not that i cant afford it but i could do without)

thanks for your input (helpful input that is)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is this about telling your father or about paying the fine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyone ever dodged this bullet? and before some tard replies with the holier than thou line that "laws are laws pay the fine" im in pretty bad shape financially at the moment and could do without shelling out for it (not that i cant afford it but i could do without)

thanks for your input (helpful input that is)

Not trying to annoy you but if you can't pay it then be prepared for a court apperance.
    The laws are there for a reason and that road is notoriuos for having the gatso on it so any motorist should really be prepared for the odd fine here or there.
    Maybe your dad could give you a loan of the money and pay it back to him in stages??

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

was the fine addressed to you?

did they send the pic from the speed camera? is your mug on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Completely OT but great username!

You have a minimum of 30 days to pay the fine so is €20 a week really wrth the hassle it may cause long term in terms of a bigger fine and potential family relationship issues over it?

Come on! Bite "the bullet" man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Mister Fister

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is this about telling your father or about paying the fine?

its about the fine.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Not trying to annoy you but if you can't pay it then be prepared for a court apperance.
    The laws are there for a reason and that road is notoriuos for having the gatso on it so any motorist should really be prepared for the odd fine here or there.
    Maybe your dad could give you a loan of the money and pay it back to him in stages??

i understand brother, my fault, im usual very careful, ill pay if i have to but would rather not. This clamp down on motorists lately annoys me as its another form of tax
    DonalN wrote: »
    was the fine addressed to you?
    did they send the pic from the speed camera? is your mug on it?

The fine was addressed to him since he owns the motor, im not sure if my mug was in there, do they really put the pic in with the fine as proof? forgive the silly question, first speeding offence...

• Advertisement

industria wrote: »
    Completely OT but great username!

You have a minimum of 30 days to pay the fine so is €20 a week really wrth the hassle it may cause long term in terms of a bigger fine and potential family relationship issues over it?

Come on! Bite "the bullet" man!

im bitting alot of bullets here lately man, sickens me to have to pay it tho! by the way im not broke or anything, ill pay if i have to its just things are tight lately you know yourself, i.e. im a tight fuker....

I think you're just going to have to pay it. There's no easy way out, and if you don't pay it it'll just snowball.

c'mon guys help the fist out here! has anyone got away with this before? if my mugs not in there with the fine then why should either of us pay it?

my taughts at the moment: let the old fella pay it, its his motor anyway and serves him right for givin it to me in the first place, sucker!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

So you're gonna allow your father to take the fine and the points?:eek: What kind of person are you? Except the punishment and move on!:mad:

Do you know anyone with a foreign license?(that's how to avoid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

A freind of mines job involves managing a fleet of company cars which could have several different drivers (other employees in the company, spouses etc.), when they get speeding convictions sent into the company (as the company is the registerd owner) they are sent on to the employee who is in charge of that vehicle ie. the main driver, this person must then declare who was driving the car at the time, if he/she does not know/say the points will automaticly go onto his/her driving licence.

So my understanding is that if your father does not declare who was driving the car at the time, the points will go onto his licence regradless of whether or not he was in the country as he was in charge of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Scottie99 wrote: »
    So you're gonna allow your father to take the fine and the points?:eek: What kind of person are you? Except the punishment and move on!:mad:

Do you know anyone with a foreign license?(that's how to avoid)

A couple of people have said to me that they got a speeding ticket in the post. Went to court and said that they weren't driving the car. Their face wasn't visible on the photo of them speeding so there was no evidence. The case was dismissed and there was no follow up as to who actually was driving.

So, I guess you could try that. But that would mean getting your dad to go to court.

master-d wrote: »
    A freind of mines job involves managing a fleet of company cars which could have several different drivers (other employees in the company, spouses etc.), when they get speeding convictions sent into the company (as the company is the registerd owner) they are sent on to the employee who is in charge of that vehicle ie. the main driver, this person must then declare who was driving the car at the time, if he/she does not know/say the points will automaticly go onto his/her driving licence.

So my understanding is that if your father does not declare who was driving the car at the time, the points will go onto his licence regradless of whether or not he was in the country as he was in charge of the vehicle.

Thank you!!! at last. Ill bite the bullet so!!! Hey Scottie, i was only taking the pizz when i said id let him pay, (as tempting as it is)

A couple of people have said to me that they got a speeding ticket in the post. Went to court and said that they weren't driving the car. Their face wasn't visible on the photo of them speeding so there was no evidence. The case was dismissed and there was no follow up as to who actually was driving.

So, I guess you could try that. But that would mean getting your dad to go to court.

if i could weasle out of it that way i wouldnt bother as the pain of listenin to the old fella moan for the next 6 years about it outweighs the cost

whats all this about foreign license talk? uk license? or what? yes i know silly question again brother

You never know, you might even enjoy being Mister Fisted for the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

It doesn't go that far. The fine comes in the post, foreign details are filled in and sent off. You receive a letter from the police confirming or acknowledging the foreign details and that no further action will be taken. The foreigner receives in his own country the fine from Irish police, he just ignores. END OF STORY!

Have done myself:rolleyes:

Euro legislation will know doubt change and this practice will become a thing of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

OR Mister Tight-Fisted

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From http://www.penaltypoints.ie/faq.php#speedingqueries:

"Q. If my vehicle is caught by a fixed camera, what happens if I am not the person driving the vehicle?

A. The Gardai will issue the fixed charge notice to the registered owner of a vehicle in the event that the offence is detected by a fixed speed camera. The registered owner is afforded the opportunity to name the driver. Indeed, it is an explicit requirement that where the registered owner of a vehicle was not driving or using the vehicle he or she must give the name, address etc of the driver of the vehicle. On foot of receipt of this information from the registered owner, the fixed charge notice will issue to the named driver, on whose licence record the points will be endorsed, either on payment of a fixed charge or a court conviction."

OR Mister Tight-Fisted
    Seriously though, life must be really painful for the mean people. Unless they get compensatory highs from things like finding coins on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

enough of this bull ...be a man, pay the fine.

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement